Considering linux for my aging macbook

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

I'd try the mods that exist to let you run newer mac os versions than are officially supported. Take a look at open core legacy patcher 

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher

I have this on my 2012 mac book air running mac os 13

Hi all!

I've got a 2014 MacBook Pro 13 running the latest supported macOS Big Sur. Since Apple might soon drop support for it, I'm concerned about missing out on security updates. I primarily use this MacBook as my travel companion, mainly for web browsing, iBooks, and photo management. Additionally, I appreciate how macOS offers seamless integration with my other Apple devices. I'm not looking to buy a new one, as this still works fine. Given this setup, I'm curious about your thoughts on the practicality of switching to Linux when that happens. Will I face major inconveniences, or is it a viable option to keep my device secure? Your insights would be much appreciated!

On 8/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, dudenukethem said:

Given this setup, I'm curious about your thoughts on the practicality of switching to Linux when that happens. Will I face major inconveniences, or is it a viable option to keep my device secure? Your insights would be much appreciated!

Your MacBook will be no different from any other PC Compatible laptop if you install Linux on it. None of Apple's seamless integration secret sauce will work perfectly, if at all. And as far as I'm aware there's no equivalent to WINE that will make macOS software run on Linux, so if you use any software that isn't cross-platform you'll have to dual boot or find an alternative.

Switching to Linux also won't make web browsing any lighter. 

Check out OpenCore Legacy Patcher. That should keep macOS running on that machine until Apple completely drops support for the x86 architecture.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, dudenukethem said:

Given this setup, I'm curious about your thoughts on the practicality of switching to Linux when that happens. Will I face major inconveniences, or is it a viable option to keep my device secure?

I know @Electronics Wizardy recommended OpenCore Legacy Patcher [OCLP], and I absolutely agree, but I wanted to add my own two cents, having run Linux on a MacBook.

It's... fine? Depending on the distribution, there can be either many issues or so few issues that you'd probably be fine. I think Linus Torvalds used to use Fedora (his distribution of choice) on an (now ancient) MacBook Air at some point, but I have no idea what his experience with that was like. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Then of course, there's the fact that some things just won't work properly, or at all (like Apple ecosystem integration). WINE isn't a solution for everything, unfortunately. 

As for my recommendation: well, I say this having used Ubuntu 20.04 on a 2011 MacBook Pro during the pandemic for school... I'd recommend OCLP until Intel gets axed by Apple entirely, especially if you're already accustomed to the macOS environment. Maybe even throw a cheap SSD or similar in (if your computer doesn't have one already). That'll buy you at least another year or two at least. I can at least vouch for the effectiveness of OCLP, having used it on plenty of machines in the past.

Hope this helps!

Slade Watkins • he/him/they/them