Whats wrong with my code? I wanna get the summation of the array , C++

KieranTHeBesT
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Please, post code as text in a code block… makes it much easier for people to try your code. If you're asking what the problem is, it's also usually a good idea to tell people if it just doesn't behave as expected (and what's happening instead) or if you're getting a compiler error (which one?)

At a quick glance, your array contains doubles, but your sum total is an int. Either change your sum to a double, or round your values to int before trying to add them.

~edit: Here's a working example

Spoiler
#include <iostream>

int main() {
	double prices[] = {
	};

int size = sizeof(prices) / sizeof(double);

double total = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) {
		total += prices[i];
	}

std::cout << "sum of " << size << " numbers is: " << total << std::endl;
}

Please, post code as text in a code block… makes it much easier for people to try your code. If you're asking what the problem is, it's also usually a good idea to tell people if it just doesn't behave as expected (and what's happening instead) or if you're getting a compiler error (which one?)

At a quick glance, your array contains doubles, but your sum total is an int. Either change your sum to a double, or round your values to int before trying to add them.

~edit: Here's a working example

Spoiler
#include <iostream>

int main() {
	double prices[] = {
	};

int size = sizeof(prices) / sizeof(double);

double total = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) {
		total += prices[i];
	}

std::cout << "sum of " << size << " numbers is: " << total << std::endl;
}

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Also unless my eyes are messing with me, there's 18 numbers inside, and arrays start by default at 0 , so you have prices[0] .. prices[17]

If you don't know the actual number of items ahead of time, you could also use foreach : https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/foreach-loop-c-plus-plus

You could increment some variable in the foreach loop to determine the number of items if it's unknown and don't want to use sizeof as in the example above.