Stubby screwdriver load out question

Ravendarat

Just listening to the WAN show and they are talking about the stubby load out. Why on earth would the magnetic bit be included. I cant fathom a time that I would use a stubby to try to reach a metal piece with a magnet that I wouldnt just use my hand for. Like the handle is pretty big and the shaft is obviously very short so its not like its gonna reach into a hard to reach place. Just seems like a useless bit to me. I love it in my regular sized shaft screwdriver but in a stubby I cant see it.

So you've never had a screw that was nestled between other objects? It doesn't have to be far away to be hard to hold onto a screw if it is closely surrounded by other components.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

So you've never had a screw that was nestled between other objects? It doesn't have to be far away to be hard to hold onto a screw if it is closely surrounded by other components.

I think their whole point, which I agree with, is the usability of it is drastically decreased by the size of the screwdriver. Even if it is closely surrounded by other components, the shaft is small enough that it doesn't make sense for a lot of instances where it might be needed. If you see a lot of magnetic retrievers, they're often long and thin to get into tight places where fingers won't easily fit. I would think most places you would use the stubby to retrieve a screw that you can also just use your fingers - mostly due to the size of the handle of the screwdriver and shallow shaft.

So having this bit as part of the standard loadout is a bit odd for a Stubby where the bit selection is smaller. I think their challenge might've been what other bit to choose - not sure what else you would replace it with that makes sense.

Hot take: It's a good choice.

Finger are fat. Screws are small. Slots are tight (e.g. screw falls between RAM slots). Tweezers are the perfect answer and magnet is the next best option.

Question: Why not ship the stubby with the complete standard set instead of just 4 bits? The default configuration would be utterly useless for me (and probably most people here) as it lacks the PH0. With the default config you can not install an M.2 SSD as it's PH0.

second question: Why is there still no PH00 when a stubby is planned? The stubby is large for a PH00 screw driver but better than nothing as standard length bits aren't compatible.

People never go out of business.

11 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Hot take: It's a good choice.

Finger are fat. Screws are small. Slots are tight (e.g. screw falls between RAM slots). Tweezers are the perfect answer and magnet is the next best option.

Question: Why not ship the stubby with the complete standard set instead of just 4 bits? The default configuration would be utterly useless for me (and probably most people here) as it lacks the PH0. With the default config you can not install an M.2 SSD as it's PH0.

second question: Why is there still no PH00 when a stubby is planned? The stubby is large for a PH00 screw driver but better than nothing as standard length bits aren't compatible.

I think its 6 bits not 4, and I guess my point was I just dont think the stubby will have the reach needed to make the magnetic bit very useful in most instances. I would have prefered they included a PH0 bit as you mentioned over the magnetic one.

The mixed response in this thread surprised me. I sided with OP, but I realized the reason why I don't care for the magnetic attachment in the loadout is because I have a pocket screwdriver with a magnet on it if I needed it lol.

Personally undecided if I need a stubby. Might wait for the potential hinted at on WAN show "build your own" non ratcheting drivers and precision driver.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra