I tried 6 pirate game consoles from AliExpress

TannerMcCoolman

AliExpress is so full of more pirate consoles than you can shake a peg-leg at, but what exactly are they? Are they repurposed Android TV Boxes, or emulation stations running on custom linux, or faithful adaptations of the original consoles with after-market chips? Are the controllers stiff, mush, or somewhere in the sweet zone?

Quick question since I have basically no experience with emulation, roms and "romhacks". Linus was quick to point out that one of the consoles "just uses romhacks". What's the difference to roms and how did he determine that so quickly from just looking at them? Also why are they a selling point?

Just now, Senzelian said:

Quick question since I have basically no experience with emulation, roms and "romhacks". Linus was quick to point out that one of the consoles "just uses romhacks". What's the difference to roms and how did he determine that so quickly from just looking at them?

A "romhack" is a modified rom to change parts of the game. This could be as simple as a fan translation, or as complex as creating a completely different story with different characters. Linus was browsing through the romhacks category on the unit when he said that line. Kind of hard to see in the edit, so I'm sure you're not the only one to have this confusion.

3 hours ago, darwin006 said:

I feel like there has been kind of a lot of videos relatively recently about garbage LTT has bought off Aliexpress.  

When you are out of ideas for quality videos...poke fun at weird shit

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

That instruction sheet in Cyrillic looks like it's for the many, many mid-2000s Famiclones that used a PSOne shell.

Yes, they put a cartridge slot under the disc lid, because reasons.

image.png.e0a03c5be1d54ff8e80be3030fc78bb7.png

Not my video:

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

53 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

When you are out of ideas for quality videos...poke fun at weird shit

I have zero desire to see a video on manufactured waste that no normal person would actually recommend you buy. But clearly I am in the minority here because all the videos seem to do well for them, including a truly bizarre video on andriod tablets! Who are these people that are still interested in andriod tablets? And why are they interested in the worst tablets that they can possibly buy new today?

1 minute ago, darwin006 said:

I have zero desire to see a video on manufactured waste that no normal person would actually recommend you buy. But clearly I am in the minority here because all the videos seem to do well for them, including a truly bizarre video on andriod tablets! Who are these people that are still interested in andriod tablets? And why are they interested in the worst tablets that they can possibly buy new today?

I have no answers for you, sometimes people just want to see what kind of weird electronic toys can be had. My guess is all those bottom-of-the-barrel tablets etc are aimed at 3rd world countries who can't afford anything better. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, darwin006 said:

it may seem like e-waste to some but i have found playing some retro consoles that are bootleg for cheap as a kinda fun family bonding environment since there are little control options and elderly friendly.

With all this aliexpress crap, we'll get Ashens collaboration soon.

wonder if its not better to build your own pirated retro game console, buy an old  Lenovo ThinkCenter or HP EliteDesk then load an Os like Batocera.Linux into it and for rom if piracy don't bother you download a rompack for batocera and copy them into the device rom folder that's it you have your retro game console which is a lot more smooth than these boxes and on plus side you can use any controller you like with it.

14 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That instruction sheet in Cyrillic looks like it's for the many, many mid-2000s Famiclones that used a PSOne shell.

Yes, they put a cartridge slot under the disc lid, because reasons.

image.png.e0a03c5be1d54ff8e80be3030fc78bb7.png

Not my video:

I had one of those as a kid. I still have a photo of me holding one as a kid somewhere. And one of those multi game cartridges in one.

I'm sorry, but 10:22 is just a plain disrespectful joke.  People lost their lives on the sub, with a potential of living their last few moments knowing they were going to die.  It's not something that should be made into comedy just weeks after it went down.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

4 hours ago, JEskandari said:

wonder if its not better to build your own pirated retro game console, buy an old  Lenovo ThinkCenter or HP EliteDesk then load an Os like Batocera.Linux into it and for rom if piracy don't bother you download a rompack for batocera and copy them into the device rom folder that's it you have your retro game console which is a lot more smooth than these boxes and on plus side you can use any controller you like with it.

For computer-savvy geeks? Absolutely.

• 3 months later...

I will get there right now my streaming is limited because of my heart disease but I'm now trying to get friends in a co host and a editor so I hope I can do with.....with no money any very lil crappy tech I could get. Man I need to upgrade

• 1 month later...

I'm looking into something like one of these retro machines, considering the video didn't go into detailed setup for each one, which one would be recommended for just plug n play?

I see a bunch of these no name brands on amazon but a lot of the reviews are either fake or saying it took a lot of tinkering to get working, preferably I'd like one with 4 wired controllers not wireless and at least have all the old Nintendo games all in one but tons more too if possible

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit