Ducky USB C connector broken

orangecat

My little cousin dropped off his keyboard to me because the USB C connector broke. It's a Ducky keyboard and I would hate to return it to him still broken. I can solder just fine but I'm not sure if there is missing pads on the PCB as I'm not completely familiar with what pins are used and not used on this keyboard. The USB connector is cleanly broken right off the board. I don't think a repair was attempted and it almost looks like it wasn't soldered correctly from the factory.

If the pads/traces are damaged I was thinking I could bodge some wires on but I don't feel like spending hours tracing where all the connections go. Maybe someone has some info on this? I was also thinking of just adding a USb cable to the PCB and just not having the connector.

Here's a picture of the damage

IMG_1882.thumb.jpeg.0cb0369ae8269aca5707967d56d7d343.jpeg

It seems some of the solder pads have been lifted. Its fixable, but that's going to be a very, very fiddly job, even if you have the right tools. Might require scratching away some solder mask and VERY fine jumper wires. 

I don't envy trying to fix that. 

Looks to me like the pads/traces came off too. You can try to repair it by cleaning up the contacts on both the USB connector and the PCB and resoldering it to the traces under the solder mask using jumpers. However, having done similar repairs to this chances of 100% repair are lower and it will be very time consuming and require every ounce of patience and skill you have. If it's a cheaper Ducky keyboard I wouldn't even bother.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Do you have a picture of the entire right side of the board?

I have done a repair on a Ducky keyboard with just about the same issue (broken off USB Type C port and ripped pads) and ended up repairing it with a small custom designed PCB going to some pads next to the caps lock key that had GND/D+/D-/VCC hookups:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Maybe a stupid suggestion, but what about buying a used keyboard for parts and just taking the PCB from that (or just buy the PCB directly)? Might still be able to flip the other parts for a few bucks.

Otherwise found an old reddit thread where someone used a DZ60 PCB to replace a broken Ducky One 2 Mini PCB (broken UCB C connector). Though those go for apparently ~40$ as well...