Thoughts on Wondershare?

Hello again!

I wanted to bring up Wondershare and their lineup of services, such as Filmora and PDFElement, to see if anyone has any feedback after using their stuff.

For context, we last ran a spot on TechLinked after testing the application internally but got feedback in the comments regarding their Privacy Policy and concerns about how they allegedly sell users' data to 3rd parties. I've brought these concerns over to our contact, and they assure me that Wondershare has never once sold their users' data as well as sent me their Privacy Policy for reference:

https://www.wondershare.com/privacy.html

Reading the policy, the only thing of note is how data is "...collected, processed and stored by our qualified payment processors." but it is normal when brands require payment processing on their website.

Would love to get people's feedback on Filmora and PDFelement if they have any experience using it, as well as if there's anything else that should be flagged to Wondershare for comment.

Appreciate your insight, as always 🙂

I couldn't care less about their privacy stuff, but it doesn't surprise me.

Insufferable upselling/bait&switch company.  I avoid every single thing that they do. They will NEVER get a dime from me.

I get that companies have to make money and so on, but tricking people into clicking a "free download" link ( their terms ) that is basically an unusable version of the software, is a shit marketing policy and frankly a disgusting way of doing things. 

I was tricked into downloading their "Free download" PDF software. 
Tried to modify a PDF file and save it.

Free version includes a bigass Watermark ( obviously a dealbreaker ), but ok, whatever, I clicked yes.   
Then it asked me to create an account ? Come on man😂😂

I'm being serious. Their PDF editor has a "Log In/ Sign Up" button.   What's next,  biometric data and cellphone number to open MS Paint ??? 

Anyway, I uninstalled the garbage in under 10 seconds, just to notice that they had left a "Wondershare" file in my Public Documents, with the installer for the program that I had just deleted. You know, "just in case" I wanted to reinstall it. 

Disgraceful.

image.thumb.png.0b926c01b242bc4c704b3aedec1de62a.png

image.png.6bbd92b1f1972223bd4c87fa88c31ec2.png

I had bad experience with their data recovery software (Wondershare's Recoverit),

They say it's free to download....

I downloaded the software, then found out that data recovery above 100mb is locked behind a paywall...

They don't say that on the download page or on the product page - Effectively click baiting you into downloading and installing it,

I wasted  time downloading and installing it all for nothing.

It's a scummy behavior.

That was years ago but it didn't change.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I've never liked Wondershare because of the reasons above and I think I've seen search results/ads by them that use other software's names in the page title to deceive users

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

I found their editing program to be  alright, I never used anything more than the free version. Its fun to play with

Wondershare? That company makes dubious claims and implications about their data recovery software in regards to liquid damage, and attempted to nickel and dime their lifetime license holders. Why work with them?

• 3 weeks later...

From a professional stance on this, Wondershare support is pretty shaky, we have had horrible support instances with licensing where they simply tell us that they cant find our purchase or proof we arent pirating their software even when we provide them with proof of purchase. Forcing us to purchase another license (specifically for Filmora)

I'd never go near wondershare personally 

got annoyed before with their data recovery stuff as I needed it once....never again, ended up thankfully finding a backup as they had it locked behind a paywall yet pretend it's free

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Hey all,

I appreciate your feedback here. Based on the responses expressed here, I don't think we'll be moving forward with Wondershare and its products for sponsorship.

Until we see improvements in how they market their free vs Pro versions of their software as well as just overall better support for those who do purchase licenses to their products, we'll be declining all future inbound paid opportunities.

Thanks everyone, much love. 

We use Wondershare where I work (but Korean company in tech) to convert and edit videos. Works great and is very reliable. I can’t vouch for the privacy part, but everything else is solid.

I personally hate Filmora. It puts ads on my laptop notifications for other Wondershare products, and seems kinda clickbaity.

Filmora has in the past canceled lifetime licences attempting to force people to go onto a subscription service for updates.

A YouTuber Daniel Batal: https://www.youtube.com/@Daniel_Batal had outlined his struggles on his channel with these videos:

Due to this I would have a cause for concern working with the parent company to advertise their products as they do not keep their word and go out at attempt to silence people who bring up their poor practices. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

• 3 weeks later...

Their recovery software is a joke and as Louis Rossmann put it, I think this should be heavily considered, They claim to be able to recover data from bricked phones, locked phones and water damage phones etc, when that's not possible,This is straight out deceptive advertising.