Why is Watch Dogs so Hyped?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so I've seen the trailers and gameplay footage and it's basically a GTA clone but a little in the future. I hated GTA 5 and didn't understand why people loved it so much and the same with this. Why are GTA style games "the most anticipated game of this year." it seems really silly seeing as we've all played a GTA before. It's probably going to be very similar with just different missions. Can someone explain to me where the hype is coming from? I don't think it's going to be that great of a game like GTA 5.

It's not like GTA...

Comparing Watch_Dogs to GTA is like comparing Battlefield to Call Of Duty they have both complete different gameplay.

RTX2070OC 

The game is hyped due to the advances in the city, the fact that people have identities and incomes now is stunning. It has been a 9 year project that has advanced open world gameplay and changed what has been the same from GTA 3 to GTA 5. It does look a lot like other open world games from the past but it is more advanced and is probably going to revolutionize the open world game forever.

I know what you're saying, but you're still wrong and over-thinking it. Me and my friends, for example, loved Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops had it's own twist, but it was still the same recycled game. Modern Warfare 3 rolled out and it was super hyped - I bought into it thinking it would be different, but it wasn't. You could clearly tell that Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3 are the same games with a couple different killstreaks and different maps - so the game was practically Modern Warfare 2 DLC, just $60 box price. I would just as easily go back and play MW1 or MW2 with my friends if we still played it. We've moved on to other games though.

When I came to PC, I found Blacklight: Retribution which was recommended to me by a friend because I liked CoD, and it was free. While playing it, it felt like CoD but way more matured and refined (in my opinion). It's a fast-paced shooter, but with better features, like gun and player customization, gameplay mechanics like the Hardsuit, Stealth, HRV (allows you to see through walls for a short time, but you're more vulnerable) and so on. It's a fast-paced shooter but like I said, more matured and refined than CoD.

Destiny could very well be a more matured and refined version of Halo, but I'm not worried about that game since it's not coming to PC. But it could just as easily fail if Bungie doesn't deliver on making it way different than Halo (which I doubt, it's probably Bungie's next gift to gamers on consoles, and it'll probably be really awesome).

You do know that an opinion cannot be wrong right?

It's not like GTA...

Comparing Watch_Dogs to GTA is like comparing Battlefield to Call Of Duty they have both complete different gameplay.

-snip-

What I've seen it looks like the same gameplay, the same open world, 3rd person-shooting and driving game with probably identical driving controls. Just like how Sleeping Dogs was similar to GTA so will this one be.

I wish gamers would quit using the "clone of <insert game here>" argument. That really grinds my gears.

Watch_Dogs is not a GTA clone the same way Dota is not an League clone.

They're both the same type of game in the same genre, but have so many different characteristics that make them different. They are not clones of each other, period.

Watch_Dogs is hyped up because hype comes from the people who like it, that's why.

I guess all FPS's are clones of Doom.

What bugs me even more is the "<game> + <game> + <game> = <this game>" argument.

There are tens of thousands of games out there, and if you have to combine 10 games to make "this" game, I'd say this game is pretty original.  

MotherboardASUS M5A97 le R2.0, CPUAMD FX-6300, Graphics CardSapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB,

PSU: Corsair CX600M, RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series, HDD1TB Seagate Barracuda, CaseCM Storm Enforcer

Watch Dogs looks too similar to Assassins Creed for my liking. Sure it looks great, it'll play great for a while. Then you'll realise the gameplay is super basic and repetitive and you'll be bored within a few hours.

I was hyped for it before it was delayed for 8 months, but I am still buying it, because I would still like to play an open world game, and considering how I do like the games Ubisoft output, I may just buy more games from them, considering EA and Dice don't even know what tech support is when I tried to ask them a problem in tech chat.

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I was hyped for it before it was delayed for 8 months, but I am still buying it, because I would still like to play an open world game, and considering how I do like the games Ubisoft output, I may just buy more games from them, considering EA and Dice don't even know what tech support is when I tried to ask them a problem in tech chat.

I'm getting Wolfenstien for my 1 new game budget this time around. There's a lot of better games coming out, that's why I just don't see why everyone is so blown away by Watch Dogs. I think Wolfenstiend will be great and I've seen a few others on Steam that look amazing not to mention The Division.

I'm getting Wolfenstien for my 1 new game budget this time around. There's a lot of better games coming out, that's why I just don't see why everyone is so blown away by Watch Dogs. I think Wolfenstiend will be great and I've seen a few others on Steam that look amazing not to mention The Division.

True, but I think my PC will definitely not be able to run The Division so I am just going to get something it may handle atleast on medium

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

silly children it's watch_dogs now 

Hey guys, so I've seen the trailers and gameplay footage and it's basically a GTA clone but a little in the future. I hated GTA 5 and didn't understand why people loved it so much and the same with this. Why are GTA style games "the most anticipated game of this year." it seems really silly seeing as we've all played a GTA before. It's probably going to be very similar with just different missions. Can someone explain to me where the hype is coming from? I don't think it's going to be that great of a game like GTA 5.

Because these games are expensive as hell and marketing takes up half the budget and sites like IGN are just a big advertising piece for these games. ESO was just as hyped. Titanfall was just as hyped. Destiny cost 500 million dollars. It will be the most hyped game of all time. You can book that.

That said? Watch Dog's could be a good game. We will see. 

If you look at all the "hyped" games, you will see a gigantic budget. These companies aren't going to play dice with a 300 million dollar game. They just might spend 200 million advertising it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft

"In the February 2008 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, Editor-in-Chief Dan "Shoe" Hsu asserted that Ubisoft had ceased to provide all Ubisoft titles to the EGM for any coverage purposes as a result of prior critical previews and negative reviews".

So basically if the "game review" site is critical of these monster companies? They don't get pre release footage exclusives (*cough IGN*) and they don't make tons of money off people clicking on those articles or watching the pre release footage. There is no such thing as a honest review site that always gets pre release stuff. 

"Yves Guillemot, the CEO of Ubisoft, was quoted in the company’s third-quarter 2008–09 sales report as saying "as some of our games did not meet the required quality levels to achieve their full potential, they need more sales promotions than anticipated."

Game is average? Advertise the hell out of it. See IGN still running a daily Titan Fall article and ESO articles after release. 

So there you go. The game review sites are a joke. The big publishers advertise through them and hype the hell out of the game. If a game sucks and people call out the company? IGN makes a video with Colin Moriarty calling people "entitled gamers" protecting EA. The game industry has never been as much of a joke as it is today. Not that they can't make good games anymore, but it is just laughable at this point.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I think the delay caused a ton more hype than was originally there. Sure people were bummed but they feel the excitement again this time around, and they know it's a higher quality because that's what the delay was for.

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

snip

I think the thing about review is that you should always read them rather than look at the score only because of what reviews are nowadays, an opinion piece rather than a critic with some opinion. Also while IGN is pretty much an advertising site which helps if you want to look at footage, many other site still are trustworthy when it comes to reviews (Giantbomb, RPS for example).

As for Watch Dogs hype, its a big budget game that is pretty much the first multiplatform open world game that is suppose to be pushing the envelop. Its a big risk for Ubisoft so they will make sure people hear a ton about it. As for the customers, it seems the marketing resounded with them and got them in a hyped state. Come May 27th we will see how it holds up. My bet is that it will be in the low 80s high 70s. It will be a fun game with some flaws that they probably going to fix comes Watch Dogs 2. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Which is why you're not hyped. Luckily you're under no obligation to buy it.

The question was why are so many people hyped for it. The answer is because they think it looks great.

I dont see why Ubisoft tends to build much hype to open world games similar to Assassins Creed and Watchdogs.

I dont see why Ubisoft tends to build much hype to open world games similar to Assassins Creed and Watchdogs.

With Assassin's Creed it was a quite original game when it first came out so got a lot of people onboard, and then due to an ongoing story maintained the interest and hype of fans until it was milked within an inch of its life (surprised it is still going really).

For people like me who didn't get the early ones, there has been little interest in the later ones - no connection to the storyline.

Watch Dogs is (or I see it as anyway) a 'new assassins creed' - basically the same game type but a new story, new world and it is starting at a point where their formula for this type of game is pretty damn polished.

For existing fans of Creed it's a fresh new take on a very tired game, for people who never got in at the ground up with Creed, it's a way into that game type from Ubisoft. 

I'm personally looking forward to it, although not hyped to the eyeballs. From everything I've seen it's a polished product and the storyline is much more relevant to me than a historical/scifi epic.

Stopped reading when you said you hated GTA5. Your opinion has no merit considering you don't like open world games.

Watch Dogs is not hyped, it has good marketing.

Please stop with this GTA clone shit. Play the game first. Gameplay footage doesn't cut it.

I wish gamers would quit using the "clone of <insert game here>" argument. That really grinds my gears.

Watch_Dogs is not a GTA clone the same way Dota is not an League clone.

They're both the same type of game in the same genre, but have so many different characteristics that make them different. They are not clones of each other, period.

Watch_Dogs is hyped up because hype comes from the people who like it, that's why.

I guess all FPS's are clones of Doom.

Someone tried telling me that Star Wars was a clone of Flash Gordon. I guess all Sci Fi is a clone of flash gordon now too lol

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Stopped reading when you said you hated GTA5. Your opinion has no merit considering you don't like open world games.

Please stop with this GTA clone shit. Play the game first. Gameplay footage doesn't cut it.

... I hated GTA5 too, what's wrong with that?

... I hated GTA5 too, what's wrong with that?

Neither of you do not state "Why?"

That's why I stop reading. If you say you hate something be prepared to explain it otherwise I'll just think you're a fat prick who hates on games because of your own internal struggles and insecurities. That or you just do not like open world games, which is no reason to "hate" GTA5 considering it provides quality atmosphere, graphics, and gameplay.

Neither of you do not state "Why?"

That's why I stop reading. If you say you hate something be prepared to explain it otherwise I'll just think you're a fat prick who hates on games because of your own internal struggles and insecurities. That or you just do not like open world games, which is no reason to "hate" GTA5 considering it provides quality atmosphere, graphics, and gameplay.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...

It's got too little direction for me, too little instruction, and not enough to keep me involved when I'm wandering around aimlessly.

I like open world elements when it's done well and it's always clear what your objectives are, and you can divert off and do other stuff when you feel like it, but I sank several hours into GTA5 and found myself frustrated at not knowing what I was supposed to do several times. It didn't  help that the text on the screen was often too small to read.

If the core gameplay - the shooting, the driving etc - was really compelling I might have stuck at it, but it seemed pretty average really. Competent, but not exact enthralling. I just got to the point where I wasn't engaging with the game, and life's too short so benched it.

It's just a personal opinion though, and I don't get why that needs to be justified or explained. You might have liked it for exactly the reasons I disliked it; neither of us can be wrong in our judgement when we are judging if we are personally enjoying ourselves.

I liked every other GTA, except San Andreas. I just hated the 5th.

• 2 weeks later...

the same way Dota is not an League clone.

uwotm8. you know DOTA came first right? Anyway I see your point :P