Why is Watch Dogs so Hyped?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so I've seen the trailers and gameplay footage and it's basically a GTA clone but a little in the future. I hated GTA 5 and didn't understand why people loved it so much and the same with this. Why are GTA style games "the most anticipated game of this year." it seems really silly seeing as we've all played a GTA before. It's probably going to be very similar with just different missions. Can someone explain to me where the hype is coming from? I don't think it's going to be that great of a game like GTA 5.

because it actually has something interesting going for it unlike GTA.

...And that is?

While I do like GTA and am excited about watch dogs, I also think its overhyped. I'm way more excited about The Division.

I wish gamers would quit using the "clone of <insert game here>" argument. That really grinds my gears.

Watch_Dogs is not a GTA clone the same way Dota is not an League clone.

They're both the same type of game in the same genre, but have so many different characteristics that make them different. They are not clones of each other, period.

Watch_Dogs is hyped up because hype comes from the people who like it, that's why.

I guess all FPS's are clones of Doom.

I wish gamers would quit using the "clone of <insert game here>" argument. That really grinds my gears.

Watch_Dogs is not a GTA clone the same way Dota is not an League clone.

They're both the same type of game in the same genre, but have so many different characteristics that make them different. They are not clones of each other, period.

Watch_Dogs is hyped up because hype comes from the people who like it, that's why.

I guess all FPS's are clones of Doom.

Watch Dogs and GTA are way too similar to consider them as far a gap as your final argument. Besides, if anything all FPS are a copy of Half-Life as Half-Life was the game to formed what the FPS is today, not DOOM. DOOM was the foundation.

-snip-

I wouldn't consider how overboard people are going about it due to marketing. It plays a huge part, but they aren't marketing Watch Dogs to be any sort of revolutionary game.

Watch Dogs and GTA are way too similar to consider them as far a gap as your final argument. Besides, if anything all FPS are a copy of Half-Life as Half-Life was the game to formed what the FPS is today, not DOOM. DOOM was the foundation.

Your logic makes no sense, lol (not trying to be mean). Have you not seen any gameplay footage of Watch_Dogs on Youtube? It's entirely different than GTA, bro.

Do you know what the definitions of 'clone' and 'copy' are? Do you think Saints Row is a GTA clone too? LOL

I rarely ever get pulled in by hype, much like Bulldozer.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I don't get it... Why should it not deserve the hype, for all you know it could be the best game ever

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Your logic makes no sense, lol (not trying to be mean). Have you not seen any gameplay footage of Watch_Dogs on Youtube? It's entirely different than GTA, bro.

Do you know what the definitions of 'clone' and 'copy' are? Do you think Saints Row is a GTA clone too? LOL

I have and see no difference, perhaps you just really want to see a difference in the two so you take even the slightest variations as huge marginal gaps from each other. I couldn't care less about Saints Row, that's just an awful game to begin with. That would be considered a parody of GTA like it is intended to be.

I don't get it... Why should it not deserve the hype, for all you know it could be the best game ever

Games that get over-hyped like this never live up to the expectations, I highly doubt it will be the best game ever. But that's subjective anyway.

I have and see no difference, perhaps you just really want to see a difference in the two so you take even the slightest variations as huge marginal gaps from each other. I couldn't care less about Saints Row, that's just an awful game to begin with. That would be considered a parody of GTA like it is intended to be.

That's pretty dense, and a good way of getting bored with every game on the market. If you can't see the differences between GTA and Watch_Dogs, then I don't know what else to tell you, lol. But Watch_Dogs is not a clone of GTA, no matter how many times you or anyone else on the interwebs says it.

Games that get over-hyped like this never live up to the expectations, I highly doubt it will be the best game ever. But that's subjective anyway.

GTA V. Massive hype, it ended up being an awesome game

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

That is debatable...

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

That's pretty dense, and a good way of getting bored with every game on the market. If you can't see the differences between GTA and Watch_Dogs, then I don't know what else to tell you, lol. But Watch_Dogs is not a clone of GTA, no matter how many times you or anyone else on the interwebs says it.

Not really, I enjoy games of all genres, as long as they are good. I didn't like GTA at all and Watch Dogs look extremely similar gameplay wise which means that I will not like it. It's pretty simple, games with similar gameplay will be a relatively similar experience. The gameplay is the important part. Gimmicks and story aspects are not going to make anyone sit through gameplay they do not enjoy.

I hated GTA 5, really boring, gun controls weren't as good as RDR, boring characters, and Trevor was probably the worst video game character I have ever seen in a video game.

Not really, I enjoy games of all genres, as long as they are good. I didn't like GTA at all and Watch Dogs look extremely similar gameplay wise which means that I will not like it. It's pretty simple, games with similar gameplay will be a relatively similar experience. The gameplay is the important part. Gimmicks and story aspects are not going to make anyone sit through gameplay they do not enjoy.

I don't even

I don't even

I don't get how you don't understand that. It's extremely simple. Here's an example, imagine you played Halo and loved the way Halo played. It's movement, weapon physics and mechanics. Than you to play Destiny, which I'll, for the sake of this, assume it's simialr to Halo's. You will enjoy Destiny's gameplay since it's something you already enjoyed. Story and gameplay mechanics like abilities and missions are less important than cor gameplay. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you played CoD. and hated it, because, who wouldn't? But anyway, you play a different game with similar gameplay, you will not like the gameplay of that similar game because it's gameplay you hate. It's really not that hard...

I don't get how you don't understand that. It's extremely simple. Here's an example, imagine you played Halo and loved the way Halo played. It's movement, weapon physics and mechanics. Than you to play Destiny, which I'll, for the sake of this, assume it's simialr to Halo's. You will enjoy Destiny's gameplay since it's something you already enjoyed. Story and gameplay mechanics like abilities and missions are less important than cor gameplay. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you played CoD. and hated it, because, who wouldn't? But anyway, you play a different game with similar gameplay, you will not like the gameplay of that similar game because it's gameplay you hate. It's really not that hard...

I know what you're saying, but you're still wrong and over-thinking it. Me and my friends, for example, loved Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops had it's own twist, but it was still the same recycled game. Modern Warfare 3 rolled out and it was super hyped - I bought into it thinking it would be different, but it wasn't. You could clearly tell that Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3 are the same games with a couple different killstreaks and different maps - so the game was practically Modern Warfare 2 DLC, just $60 box price. I would just as easily go back and play MW1 or MW2 with my friends if we still played it. We've moved on to other games though.

When I came to PC, I found Blacklight: Retribution which was recommended to me by a friend because I liked CoD, and it was free. While playing it, it felt like CoD but way more matured and refined (in my opinion). It's a fast-paced shooter, but with better features, like gun and player customization, gameplay mechanics like the Hardsuit, Stealth, HRV (allows you to see through walls for a short time, but you're more vulnerable) and so on. It's a fast-paced shooter but like I said, more matured and refined than CoD.

Destiny could very well be a more matured and refined version of Halo, but I'm not worried about that game since it's not coming to PC. But it could just as easily fail if Bungie doesn't deliver on making it way different than Halo (which I doubt, it's probably Bungie's next gift to gamers on consoles, and it'll probably be really awesome).

I know what you're saying, but you're still wrong and over-thinking it. Me and my friends, for example, loved Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops had it's own twist, but it was still the same recycled game. Modern Warfare 3 rolled out and it was super hyped - I bought into it thinking it would be different, but it wasn't. You could clearly tell that Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3 are the same games with a couple different killstreaks and different maps - so the game was practically Modern Warfare 2 DLC, just $60 box price. I would just as easily go back and play MW1 or MW2 with my friends if we still played it. We've moved on to other games though.

When I came to PC, I found Blacklight: Retribution which was recommended to me by a friend because I liked CoD, and it was free. While playing it, it felt like CoD but way more matured and refined (in my opinion). It's a fast-paced shooter, but with better features, like gun and player customization, gameplay mechanics like the Hardsuit, Stealth, HRV (allows you to see through walls for a short time, but you're more vulnerable) and so on. It's a fast-paced shooter but like I said, more matured and refined than CoD.

Destiny could very well be a more matured and refined version of Halo, but I'm not worried about that game since it's not coming to PC. But it could just as easily fail if Bungie doesn't deliver on making it way different than Halo (which I doubt, it's probably Bungie's next gift to gamers on consoles, and it'll probably be really awesome).

Destiny doesn't necessarily need to be way different from Halo. For all I care, they should probably borrow some concepts that made Halo so fun, but add their own major twists that makes Destiny unique.

Steering off away from Halo would be doing Bungie a disservice.

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.