Why is Watch Dogs so Hyped?

RelentlessAF

San Andreas was one of my favorites :o

I couldn't get past the way the characters spoke. It bothered me too much so I just ran around driving instead and just never did the missions. So storyline aside I enjoyed SA as well.

Op: Cos it's a game. You must be new here.

Op: Cos it's a game. You must be new here.

Here, sort of. But that being said, besides Titanfall and GTA V in all my years of gaming (Since HL1) I have never seen games be so blown out of proportion where they win awards and are praised before anyone even gets them.

I think It's a fantastic game. One part I appreciate most is the choice involved. Take penetrating an enemy outfit. You can run in there, guns blazing.. Or you can creep in there and take the enemies out one by one, all the while hacking into things to distract them or even straight out kill them. Or you can watch the scene from the top of a nearby building through several CCTV cameras and hack various objects in thier vicnity to neutralize them all. Or you can create a blackout, and run in there like a ninja and take everyone out without even being noticed. The amount of choice and freedom involved is wonderful, I thought. You never seem to get that feeling off "oh here we go again". You can make every situation utterly unique.

Never had an emotion like that while playing any other open-world game. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

uwotm8. you know DOTA came first right? Anyway I see your point :P

When I talk to people, I don't say "Lets go play Dota 2" or "Lets play League of Legends", I'll say Dota or League in place.

I think It's a fantastic game. One part I appreciate most is the choice involved. Take penetrating an enemy outfit. You can run in there, guns blazing.. Or you can creep in there and take the enemies out one by one, all the while hacking into things to distract them or even straight out kill them. Or you can watch the scene from the top of a nearby building through several CCTV cameras and hack various objects in thier vicnity to neutralize them all. Or you can create a blackout, and run in there like a ninja and take everyone out without even being noticed. The amount of choice and freedom involved is wonderful, I thought. You never seem to get that feeling off "oh here we go again". You can make every situation utterly unique.

Never had an emotion like that while playing any other open-world game. 

You can do many of those thins in Far Cry 3 excluding hacking but many games have had hacking mechanics.

Hey guys, so I've seen the trailers and gameplay footage and it's basically a GTA clone but a little in the future. I hated GTA 5 and didn't understand why people loved it so much and the same with this. Why are GTA style games "the most anticipated game of this year." it seems really silly seeing as we've all played a GTA before. It's probably going to be very similar with just different missions. Can someone explain to me where the hype is coming from? I don't think it's going to be that great of a game like GTA 5.

This video pretty much shows why it's not like GTA.

The game has something where you can stand for an hour just in a corner and look at people walking around.

The NPC are one of the best I've ever seen in a game.(Their is also a Day 1 patch coming with AI improvements)

RTX2070OC 

-snip-

I don't see how people acting slightly more believable is a change in core gameplay... even so better A.I. has been done, but I don't expect to be blown away by an open-world game seeing as there are a lot of people to simulate.

I wish gamers would quit using the "clone of <insert game here>" argument. That really grinds my gears.

Watch_Dogs is not a GTA clone the same way Dota is not an League clone.

They're both the same type of game in the same genre, but have so many different characteristics that make them different. They are not clones of each other, period.

Watch_Dogs is hyped up because hype comes from the people who like it, that's why.

I guess all FPS's are clones of Doom.

Yeah because League of legends is a dota close  :rolleyes:

Curing shitposts by shitposts

I don't think people understand what a "clone" is. When a game is a clone of another the completely copy over the core gameplay aspects of another, such as car jacking, car driving, gunplay, and general movement. When extra are added on top it doesn't make it any less like the game it took the core gameplay from they are just extras. Take a sundae as an example. If you buy a sundae with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate syrup and your friend buys a sundae with Vanilla and Chocolate syrup. It's the same thing, now if he adds sprinkles and a cherry, all he did was add extras, that doesn't change the underlying fact that it's still pretty much the same thing just with a bit more.

I think that WATCH_DOGS has so much hype because it was advertised and praised as (one of) the first "Next-Gen" games. Everyone was excited for the new consoles and the new games that would utilize the consoles' new found processing power to give us sick graphics and AI and all that sort.

It's sort of like the flag ship of the "next-gen" movement (and it arrived really late).

i5-3570k and an R9 390 chugging along

I think that WATCH_DOGS has so much hype because it was advertised and praised as (one of) the first "Next-Gen" games. Everyone was excited for the new consoles and the new games that would utilize the consoles' new found processing power to give us sick graphics and AI and all that sort.

It's sort of like the flag ship of the "next-gen" movement (and it arrived really late).

Next-Gen doesn't mean much, maybe for people who haven't played PC most of their life but the Xbox One and PS4 are not capable of anything a PC has already been able to do. Sooooo.

I don't see how people acting slightly more believable is a change in core gameplay... even so better A.I. has been done, but I don't expect to be blown away by an open-world game seeing as there are a lot of people to simulate.

This game isn't about running around shooting shooting people like crazy it's about hacking and using your surroundings to solve missions.

GTA V is completely different from gameplay as well as story.

GTA V is as much different from Watchdogs as Battlefield is from Call Of Duty.

They're both the same genre but with complete different gameplay styles and complete different focuses.

You don't like open world sandbox games in general that's the problem not that the game is like GTA because it's not.

RTX2070OC 

Next-Gen doesn't mean much, maybe for people who haven't played PC most of their life but the Xbox One and PS4 are not capable of anything a PC has already been able to do. Sooooo.

It's not about the meaning of Next-Gen, it's the hype that builds around it via the consumer bases of Microsoft and Sony and Ubisoft and EA and all those corporations.

i5-3570k and an R9 390 chugging along

This game isn't about running around shooting shooting people like crazy it's about hacking and using your surroundings to solve missions.

GTA V is completely different from gameplay as well as story.

GTA V is as much different from Watchdogs as Battlefield is from Call Of Duty.

They're both the same genre but with complete different gameplay styles and complete different focuses.

You don't like open world sandbox games in general that's the problem not that the game is like GTA because it's not.

You clearly did not read all the comments, I liked a lot of the GTA's just not 5, the hacking aspect has probably been done before. The ability to solve missions how you choose has been done in both Crysis 2 and Far Cry 3 as well as probably many others, I just don't see anything innovative about the game. With the Battlefield and Call of Duty reference they have differences in play style but not gameplay. Battlefield is meant to be a more simulator esque shooting game with larger battles to try and make you feel like an actual soldier(as best they can) where as Call of Duty is attempting to be an arcade run and gun on small maps game. They still have similar core gameplay just with a different scope. Which is again what I am talking about when I say clone. A clone of the core gameplay not of the direction they are taking.

It's not about the meaning of Next-Gen, it's the hype that builds around it via the consumer bases of Microsoft and Sony and Ubisoft and EA and all those corporations.

I got what you meant I just don't get why they keep calling them next-gen all the time. Why didn't they make them more powerful? All the game coming out for them are already pushing the consoles to their limits and it hasn't even been a year. Now the next generation will probably be out in 3 years than 2. They don't give much headroom for expanding. Before with console generations when they were released the technology wasn't already capable of everything the console could handle. Just look at Halo 1 compared to 2. They started to fully realize it's potential later on in it's life span. Not right off the bat.

Before with console generations when they were released the technology wasn't already capable of everything the console could handle. Just look at Halo 1 compared to 2. They started to fully realize it's potential later on in it's life span. Not right off the bat.

That'll be the same with these consoles. They're not really utilising everything the consoles have at their disposal. Infamous looks pretty nice, but I bet next year when W3 launches it'll stomp on it, and a year after that another game will come around that looks even better. These consoles will be here for a while longer than you said in your last post.

Now, as for Watchdogs, its initial showing at E3 2012 was very impressive, and the first "next-gen" game showing, only it was unknown to you and I. I disagree with it being termed a next-gen experience because it's also coming to ps3/360, and I would imagine the only real differences being graphics, and maybe number of NPCs on the screen as well as more fluid transitions between areas as you traverse the world. The hype undoubtedly stems purely from the usefulness of the new IP as marketing material for Sony and Microsoft.

I wish gamers would quit using the "clone of <insert game here>" argument. That really grinds my gears.

Watch_Dogs is not a GTA clone the same way Dota is not an League clone.

They're both the same type of game in the same genre, but have so many different characteristics that make them different. They are not clones of each other, period.

Watch_Dogs is hyped up because hype comes from the people who like it, that's why.

I guess all FPS's are clones of Doom.

Actually I believe that League is a copy of the original DOTA, while DOTA 2 is just the original DOTA, with better textures and is provided for free from Steam. Regarding Watch Dogs, I am really excited to see what it has to offer, since I do enjoy GTA style games. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Actually I believe that League is a copy of the original DOTA, while DOTA 2 is just the original DOTA, with better textures and is provided for free from Steam. Regarding Watch Dogs, I am really excited to see what it has to offer, since I do enjoy GTA style games. 

I explained my post already. I type how I talk: I don't ask friends "Hey, do you wanna play Dota 2?", I say "Hey, do you wanna play Dota?".

That'll be the same with these consoles. They're not really utilising everything the consoles have at their disposal. Infamous looks pretty nice, but I bet next year when W3 launches it'll stomp on it, and a year after that another game will come around that looks even better. These consoles will be here for a while longer than you said in your last post.

The consoles are already at their limit. They can barely push 1080p in most games let alone 60FPS. In order to look any better they will have to keep making compromises and dropping framerates and resolutions. You can't expect much from an APU of all things, that's like believing a $500 PC will continue to play better looking games without issue for the next 5 years. It simply won't happen.

I explained my post already. I type how I talk: I don't ask friends "Hey, do you wanna play Dota 2?", I say "Hey, do you wanna play Dota?".

What does this have to do with anything?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

The consoles are already at their limit. They can barely push 1080p in most games let alone 60FPS. In order to look any better they will have to keep making compromises and dropping framerates and resolutions. You can't expect much from an APU of all things, that's like believing a $500 PC will continue to play better looking games without issue for the next 5 years. It simply won't happen.

The 360/PS3 graphics improved dramatically over time. Developers will devote considerable resources into squeezing more out of this hardware, and I'm sure games will improve over time.

What does this have to do with anything?

You assumed I was talking about the first Dota, which is why you even bothered posting right?

The 360/PS3 graphics improved dramatically over time. Developers will devote considerable resources into squeezing more out of this hardware, and I'm sure games will improve over time.

The 360 and PS3 also were more powerful than the technology available at the time. The game engines and the hardware available to developers wasn't as great as it is now which is the end of the generation which is why you see the improvement. The problem is, as the tech advanced such as game engine, game mechanics, ideas and new technologies. So did the hardware to back it up, but it's expensive. Capabilities like CryEngines high poly tessellation, real-time mapping, as well as real-time shadows and lighting is extremely taxing on the highest end GPU's. Now try to run these things on a budget PC. You will play the game at low as best with most of those technologies disabled. With Graphics API's also producing minimal overhang now optimization isn't an excuse anymore. The Xbox One and PS4 have shown all their cards within the first year, they aren't powerful enough to take things further and if they try a lot of things will have to be sacrificed for prettier visuals. Something that will lead to less substance in games and more of  focus on graphical quality. Point being, it was probably too early for new consoles. They should've waited until advancement in technology slowed down and coukd develop decent systems that still had a competitive price. As it stands the games will just get more punishing each year and soon you will see things like "New Xbox One game runs at 800x600?!" On every YouTube channel and news site there is.