Power Supply has only 6 pin PCIE Cables but the GPU requires 8 pin.

Lavaix

My Dell Precision T5610 has a 825W power supply but it only has two 6 pin cables. I had a GTX 1050TI before and it didn't reuried any power connections. I bought an RTX 4060 now and it requires 8 pin. What do I do?

2 minutes ago, Lavaix said:

My Dell Precision T5610 has a 825W power supply but it only has two 6 pin cables. I had a GTX 1050TI before and it didn't reuried any power connections. I bought an RTX 4060 now and it requires 8 pin. What do I do?

you can get an adapter..  6 to 8 pin gpu adapter.. or pcie. 

but i can't guarante it will deliver enough power. 

i would get a new PSU.. 

just remember to swap all cables if you have modular. 

5 minutes ago, Robchil said:

you can get an adapter..  6 to 8 pin gpu adapter.. or pcie. 

but i can't guarante it will deliver enough power. 

i would get a new PSU.. 

just remember to swap all cables if you have modular. 

My power supply is fixed and non modular so that's out of the question. So should I just get a single 6 pin to 8 pin adapter or dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter?

3 minutes ago, Lavaix said:

My power supply is fixed and non modular so that's out of the question. So should I just get a single 6 pin to 8 pin adapter or dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter?

use single.. the dual 6 pin to 8 are said to be dangerous.. 

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2198/~/my-nvidia-based-graphics-card-has-an-8-pin-power-plug%2C-but-my-power-supply-has#:~:text=There are 2 types of,a single 8-pin plug.

Just now, Robchil said:

use single.. the dual 6 pin to 8 are said to be dangerous.. 

So will the single 6 pin cable provide sufficient power? My friend also has the same system as mine but with a GTX 1080 and his GPU came with a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and it works fine.

1 minute ago, Lavaix said:

So will the single 6 pin cable provide sufficient power? My friend also has the same system as mine but with a GTX 1080 and his GPU came with a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and it works fine.

that depends on your PSU really.. check if the cable delivers 150 watt.. as that's max output on an 8 pin connector. 

as you see in a link if the PSU delivers enough, it should work, but it's recommended with a PSU with native 8 pin or 6+2 pin plugs. 

an adapter is cheap enough to try it tho.. 🙂

6 pin PCIE cables are rated for ~75 Watts, combine that with the 75 watt from the PCIE slot and you will get a total of 150 watt, thats 50watt short of the TDP for the 4060 

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

3 minutes ago, Alinz said:

6 pin PCIE cables are rated for ~75 Watts, combine that with the 75 watt from the PCIE slot and you will get a total of 150 watt, thats 50watt short of the TDP for the 4060 

as said.. depends on the PSU and output from the rail..  from the PSU it can usually deliver more to the cable. it's just the plug itself that maxes at 75w.. and 8 pin is 150w max out. 

18 minutes ago, Robchil said:

that depends on your PSU really.. check if the cable delivers 150 watt.. as that's max output on an 8 pin connector. 

as you see in a link if the PSU delivers enough, it should work, but it's recommended with a PSU with native 8 pin or 6+2 pin plugs. 

an adapter is cheap enough to try it tho.. 🙂

That's exactly what I'm saying.

9 minutes ago, Alinz said:

So being 50W short is fine or no?

8 minutes ago, Lavaix said:

So being 50W short is fine or no?

Definitely instability. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Dell-Precision-T5610-Dual-GPU-Cable-and-PSU/td-p/7267384

according to this one you should be able to get 8 pin cables for it too.. but the PSU itself should deliver enough for 2 1080's so i would assume your PSU are on the safe side.. 

6 to 8 pin pcie adapter is easiest to get.. try to find the cable in that link if it don't work..  altho the link for it on ebay is in the thread. 

your powerboard should have an 8 pin out anyway.. as it shows in the thread.. 

43 minutes ago, Robchil said:

as said.. depends on the PSU and output from the rail..  from the PSU it can usually deliver more to the cable. it's just the plug itself that maxes at 75w.. and 8 pin is 150w max out. 

That doesn't make sense. If the max a 6 pin can do is 75w I don't see why you could transfer more than 75w to the 6pin to 8 pin adapter. It's not like the properties of the 6 pin connection has changed? I don't see how a pin setup only capable of transferring 75w can somehow now transfer 150w to the 6pin to 8 pin connector unless a 6 pin isn't actually limited to 75w in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

That doesn't make sense. If the max a 6 pin can do is 75w I don't see why you could transfer more than 75w to the 6pin to 8 pin adapter. It's not like the properties of the 6 pin connection has changed? I don't see how a pin setup only capable of transferring 75w can somehow now transfer 150w to the 6pin to 8 pin connector unless a 6 pin isn't actually limited to 75w in the first place. 

i think it's partialy like the ground connectors on the new plug for 40 series card.. it need to see the ground connected on all pins to draw the full amount. the cable output from the powerboard is much higher.