How bad is the Cheapest Laptop

AlexTheGreatish

I actually have a similar motherboard from a netbook like that, it's almost the exact same, however this has 2 gigabytes of ram and we used it for 6 months. Atleast mine had a name.... The ILIFE ZED AIR ULTRA. Tbh it looks much better than the one on the video. Guess the reason why we stopped using it. It burnt itself to death, in front of us! One day when my sibling was using it, he said that it suddenly stopped working. I told him to wait, thinking it was a overheating issue, after 30 mins, it still didn't work, so I disassembled the laptop removed the motherboard and since I was a bit stupid, plugged the power and suddenly, smoke! My finger almost burnt, until on a closer look , i found one of the transistors burnt. Since then I've been searching for a replacement. Something a bit high powered but with a similar size. I saw that the early lenovo yoga had a similar motherboard, with 4gigs of ram, but am open to suggestions. ✌️ 

16 hours ago, Efari said:

Funny how they can make an entire video about the cheapest laptop but never actually tell us the price…

Never mention the price?  Hmmmm.....

image.png.777d17214f6bb31de4819a433467e264.png

Where, oh where, do you think I could find the price....

4 hours ago, White_Helix said:

What would be really interesting on this is a Linux Distro (take your pick) with a lightweight WM, XFCE, Openbox or something. I could really see that going like a whole new dimension of performance.

Thing is...it doesn't.

Oh sure, it'll be a better desktop experience, but the moment you hit the web to do anything, the limitations becomes quite apparent. 

The Interwebs, is the killer app, that everyone was looking for around the time of the atom netbooks. This is just netbook 2.0, re-introduced at a time where you need way more horsepower to do even basic online tasks.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's going to be way more expensive even with those limitations in place. It's not really easy even for a company as large as LMG to get access to cheap mass produced hardware. The closest thing to what you specify would be is the pinebook. Which is a 100$ laptop with an arm SOC

They managed to make the screwdriver...

And they could probably just collaborate with a laptop manufacturer to do a video on it.

But yeah, actually mass producing them is kinda difficult without infrastructure already in place...

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thing is...it doesn't.

Oh sure, it'll be a better desktop experience, but the moment you hit the web to do anything, the limitations becomes quite apparent. 

The Interwebs, is the killer app, that everyone was looking for around the time of the atom netbooks. This is just netbook 2.0, re-introduced at a time where you need way more horsepower to do even basic online tasks.

One interesting thing is that the Celeron N3350 featured is a dual-core chip based on Apollo Lake, using the Goldmont cores. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10635/intel-quietly-launches-apollo-lake-soc

Happily, these Atom chips (I throw the small-core Celerons and Pentiums here too) are fairly well specced for hardware acceleration of video, so once YouTube actually loads, 1080P is a pretty decent experience on these. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

At the minute and a half mark, when Linus had mentioned inspirational posters and read that line from the manual, I had to make this.

Laptops.png

@AlexTheGreatish I think the video editor forgot to add the LTT Store ad footage to the YouTube video (Floatplane video is completely fine), because at ~10:16 into the YouTube video, the audio for the Store ad plays, but no footage is shown for it, while the footage for the actual video content keeps playing normally, but the audio for it gets pushed back until the end of the Store ad audio.

Yeah, what on earth happened to the audio on the youtube video? It badly desynced around the time Linus opened up LTTstore.com on that potato. Its like there was supposed to be a midroll LTTstore ad there but there was no footage to go with the audio.  Makes in unwatchable for me.

1 hour ago, mew4ever23 said:

Yeah, what on earth happened to the audio on the youtube video? It badly desynced around the time Linus opened up LTTstore.com on that potato. Its like there was supposed to be a midroll LTTstore ad there but there was no footage to go with the audio.  Makes in unwatchable for me.

Same thing happened to me. It looks like a bad 80s dub!

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

15 hours ago, JudgeRightly said:

@AlexTheGreatish I think the video editor forgot to add the LTT Store ad footage to the YouTube video (Floatplane video is completely fine), because at ~10:16 into the YouTube video, the audio for the Store ad plays, but no footage is shown for it, while the footage for the actual video content keeps playing normally, but the audio for it gets pushed back until the end of the Store ad audio.

12 hours ago, mew4ever23 said:

10 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Same thing happened to me. It looks like a bad 80s dub!

Hmm, I'm not experiencing this. It may have been a YouTube issue.