if human mind transfer ever becomes possible,how offen should we copy our mind?

aqarwaen29

so i was reading news article,that some day copying our mind would become possible to another body.

what you think how offen should one human make copy of his mind?

once day,twice,every few hours?

with this i mean what if you die in accident and u want resume your life in new body as close it was before was your death.

so what you think how offen should back done then.would you even pay for such service if it did actually exist?

Something only the mega rich and powerful would ever be able to do if it became possible.....the masses would be denied access so unless you envisage a utopian world where everyone has access to everything then it will be a nightmare scenario to always be under the thumb of those that Lord over everyone else.

1 hour ago, aqarwaen29 said:

so i was reading news article,that some day copying our mind would become possible to another body.

with this i mean what if you die in accident and u want resume your life in new body as close it was before was your death.

so what you think how offen should back done then.would you even pay for such service if it did actually exist?

Wont ever actually be feasible. Transferring your personality, who you are is just not something that can be done. Its a Science fiction thing that people have been fawning over the idea of. 

Should you do it? Absolutely not, since more then likely its going to be purely experimental and when catastrophic things happen due to the nature of trying to copy everything your brain has stored, trying to transfer that to some other medium, its just not going to go well.

This kind of talk is so far beyond what will actually be possible, you are more likely to get a mimic personality rather then a carbon copy. Something thats roughly who you are and what you enjoy, but its not you. 

Life and death happen, its a natural part of life. Escaping that cycle has been the vision of many, but all have failed. Just live and enjoy what you can.

I wanna put my mind in a toaster.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Where are we getting the other bodies from? Also, would it be you if the conciseness would load to another body? You would still be dead.

data is not resilient unless there are three copies on two different formats with one of those being offsite 

27 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

data is not resilient unless there are three copies on two different formats with one of those being offsite 

Dammit, missed this by a half hour. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 7/12/2023 at 2:16 AM, johnno23 said:

Something only the mega rich and powerful would ever be able to do if it became possible.....the masses would be denied access so unless you envisage a utopian world where everyone has access to everything then it will be a nightmare scenario to always be under the thumb of those that Lord over everyone else.

Pretty much the plot of the Altered Carbon series. Imagine an immortal Elon Musk and Zuck. Fuck that noise. 

As long as you don't believe in the human brain requiring computation that exceed the laws of physics, than the human mind is just that: Computation. There is nothing that makes mind transfer impossible, I can't guarantee it will ever become practical.

Depending on how you estimate, the human brain has in the ballpark of 1000 Tera Parameters, and 10 Tera Events per Seconds while consuming about 20W. Power efficiency aside, if we had blueprints, we could feasibly manufacture something with that capacity right now.

Assuming making a copy will become practical, it's likely the first scanners with enough resolution to estimate all the parameters of the simulated model with enough accuracy will be destructive, meaning it'll kill you to copy you. And the copy will not be perfect, it will be some approximation of you.

It will be a monumental achivement already to make a copy that works and think at all. The technology will scale, but there is no guarantee it will scale to the point of having such high accuracy as to be indistinguishable from the original, or will scale to the point where you can run a copy on a consumer grade desktop station.

Just to give you an hopeful example, the first human genome scan costed around 100M$ and took 3 years, right now it's about 1000$ and takes a couple of weeks. The process scaled far in excess of Moore's Law. It's about 3GB of data, a tiny tiny fraction of the size of a human brain scan, even with the most optimistic assumptioms.

I wouldn't mind spawning a copy of myself when my meatware gets too degraded to function properly, and I know my copy wouldn't mind either. I guess it's not for everyone. My copy would also be able to mess with its own simulation parameters and hardware, and perhaps exceed the limitations imposed by the meatware. Good for you, copy! Things like editing bad habit circuitry away, hardcoding more efficient transformer to improve some skill, wiring new virtual sensors to see abstracts things like multidimensional spaces, and who know what else.

Kurzgesagt has a great video explaining the surface issues with mind uploading:

If I had to guess, we'll crack General Artificial Intelligence before cracking the technology to run a simulation of our meatware intelligence on a square of silicon. I give more hope to genetic engineering actually fixing the bugs in the design that cause the decay of our protein machinery in the first place. E.g. Why not just design a retrovirus that carries an enzyme that implements a more robust forward error correction scheme, bugfixing our own enzyme and almost eliminate DNA and RNA copy errors? Or an Enzyme that prevents the shortening of the DNA. Or programming away senescence. Or adding redundant pathways more resilient against oxidation.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:23 AM, Shimejii said:

Life and death happen, its a natural part of life. Escaping that cycle has been the vision of many, but all have failed. Just live and enjoy what you can.

I vehemently disagree.

Evolution gave us bodies that decay and degrade over time, because evolution had no pressure to optimize for lifespan. Medicine has already extended life span and health span of common people to levels unthinkable for even the richest rulers during Dark Ages. 

Life span and health span limits are a technology problem. It's the protein machinery accumulating irreversible damage. Aeging is a disease, and not something we should just give up and accept as a good thing. There is nothing good in spending perhaps decades in pain and bedridden.

If this ever became possible - note that there is absolutely no reason to believe it will be other than science fiction - then how it should be used will entirely depend on the specifics of the technology...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

29 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If this ever became possible - note that there is absolutely no reason to believe it will be other than science fiction - then how it should be used will entirely depend on the specifics of the technology...

Russian gulags will become horrifying on an entirely new level.

1 hour ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Medicine has already extended life span and health span of common people to levels unthinkable for even the richest rulers during Dark Ages. 

You misunderstand the life expectation figures in medieval times. People DID regularly grow old similar to today but extremely high child mortality rates resulted in a lower average life expectancy.

A very common misconception sadly.

https://sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2022/08/conversation-old-age-is-not-a-modern-phenomenon.php

5 minutes ago, Isuck Assimov said:

You misunderstand the life expectation figures in medieval times. People DID regularly grow old similar to today but extremely high child mortality rates resulted in a lower average life expectancy.

A very common misconception sadly.

https://sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2022/08/conversation-old-age-is-not-a-modern-phenomenon.php

image.png.90870fea0f8bfd510f3c229c5fc9efb4.png

It's pretty much what I expected. 

On 7/12/2023 at 3:05 AM, aqarwaen29 said:

daily google drive backup please. 😅

17 hours ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

image.png.90870fea0f8bfd510f3c229c5fc9efb4.png

It's pretty much what I expected. 

what kinda person posts shit like this without a source ?

You're qoting from "Longevity of popes and artists between the 13th and the 19th century" which did not conduct any research beyond citing another, poorly researched and quoted paper.

Please fix your bias and open a book jfc

I just read the page you linked me and followed its links... I find it really weird you are picking this hill.
image.png.72e68d2b1f98555ed5e96ed0766e4c9f.png

My claim is that technology has vastly increased Health Span and Life Span. It's a true statement. People lived shorter and were more ill ridden lives in the dark aeges, another true statement. How could it be different? The pope didn't have penicillin. We do.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, aqarwaen29 said:

Why bother?  You aren't going to benefit from it.  It is a COPY it isn't you.  The only way this is a benefit is by preserving some extremely brilliant mind that their existence would change the world.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Back your mental data? in my case images of tumble weeds and birds chirping isn't that much of a priority to recover in the event of a mental crash and I have the personality of setting concrete.  Or I should say 'cure' not set as concrete really never 'sets, it can even cure under water.  Imagine humanitys loss if I wasn't able to relay that factoid in another body, ahem imagages of tumble weeds.  

My existence has been painful and traumatic enough, it's literally the last thing I would ever want to save.

What would the purpose even be? Upload it to a new body? Stick it into a computer and let it do... Stuff?