Toast payment process starts adding 99 cent charge to guest's bill that are over $10

lorodoes

Summary

The restaurant payment processing company Toast has now started adding a 99 cent charge to all charges over $10 that are processed by the payment processor. This appears as a 99 cent Processing Fee on the receipt that the restaurant hands to the guest. Locations that are taxed on meals will also be expected to pay taxes on the 99 cent charge as well that Toast pulls straight from their account. The 99 cent charge is supposed to be used for research and development. All of this started after partnering with Google, it was trialed the past few months and went in to affect on Monday at any location that uses Toast.

Quotes

"My contention is that it’s absolutely unethical and illegal. And if it’s not illegal, it should be." — Missouri bakery owner Matt Wilhelmson

"To help fund ongoing innovation in restaurant technology, we are updating our pricing model to add a nominal $0.99 fee (this is not a surcharge) paid by guest." — Toast Inc.

My thoughts

The unfortunate bit about all of this is that Toast/Strip/Braintree/<payment processor> has these businesses by the short and curlies. It is very difficult to replace a payment processor. Not to mention a payment processor that also provides your POS and probably inventory management too. This is going to hurt those small businesses as the only way to stop this is to not use any business that uses Toast until Toast/Google relents and backs off this 99 cent charge that is going to cause problems for their real customers (the businesses). I wouldn't be surprised also that in some jurisdictions that this might be completely illegal as the guest wasn't made aware of this before siting down to eat or placing their order. Hopefully the FTC will step in and tell them to knock it off.

Sources

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/restaurateurs-fuming-ominous-new-fee-billed-customers-big-tech-vendor

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/technology/toast-adds-99-cent-fee-customers-who-order-online

https://www.paymentsdive.com/news/toast-adds-99-cent-customer-online-ordering-fee/653839/

https://www.nrn.com/news/toast-adding-99-cent-fee-all-orders-over-10

4 minutes ago, lorodoes said:

the only way to stop this is to not use any business that uses Toast until Toast/Google relents and backs off this 99 cent charge that is going to cause problems for their real customers

That will also run those small businesses out of business. Friendly reminder that cash is still a thing. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That will also run those small businesses out of business. Friendly reminder that cash is still a thing. 

That too.

37 minutes ago, lorodoes said:

that are processed by the payment processor

Am I the only one that is confused by this sentence? Isn't anyone that's processing a payment a payment processor?

As Right to Repair is slowly working its way through political avenues across a number of countries, I find it unsurprising that we're seeing a culmination of a return to the reason "Trust Busting" happened. While there's very few, large scale actual "monopolies" (from a Legal and Realistic standpoint), the rise of Ecosystems has made segment monopolies. Along with Common Carrier law changes, I suspect we'll see (note: this is over about 20 years, it's a slow process) "Ecosystems" added into the Anti-Trust Laws. (I also have a feeling this change might be illegal in some States because it would be a contract change of enough nature it could be a breach. However, that'd be Civil in most instances and mean legal fights to defend. Which is a classic Abusive Monopoly tactic.)

Clover (Point of Sale system [not sure if they process[) did something similar-ish recently. Having seen a restaurant running their systems recently, and this taken into account, I have to assume the companies in this segment are all up to their ears in debt and on the verge of collapse. Why does this feel like an issue in the WeWork category where they "Blitzscaled" right into oblivion because there's a very specific upper limit on revenue in the space?

I would have thought that research and development costs should be coming out of the subscription fees and hardware maintenance fees that the resturants are forced to pay.  Yes, absolutely the restaurant can turn around and pass these costs along to the customer in the forms of higher priced food and drinks, but this is not a cost that a vendor should be passing on to the third party (restaurant customer).  I don't mind helping a restaurant pay for their cost of business, I do mind paying a 3rd party software/hardware vendor who is doing nothing for me.

I think it's important to point out some blatant errors in your post. 

• This is NOT, as you state, for every transaction. It's only for online orders. 
  • This is common. Doordash, Skip, etc all do the same thing. 
  • You also know the fee before you place the order if you look under fees, but I do think they need to make it more obvious. 

Interestingly business at restaurants who charged the fee went up approximately 13%. 10% on some orders seems excessive though, they should change their fee schedule to a percentage model. Not sure how that wasn't obvious from the get go. 

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/technology/toast-adds-99-cent-fee-customers-who-order-online#:~:text=Toast said restaurants using the,and designed to increase sales.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 7/11/2023 at 6:45 AM, Senzelian said:

Am I the only one that is confused by this sentence? Isn't anyone that's processing a payment a payment processor?

The payment processor is the company that takes the charges from your credit/debit machine and sends it to the companies account in a secure manner. sounds simple but it isn't simple enough where you can do it in house. 

12 minutes ago, derr12 said:

The payment processor is the company that takes the charges from your credit/debit machine and sends it to the companies account in a secure manner. sounds simple but it isn't simple enough where you can do it in house. 

Yeah I get that. I just meant that this sentence is fundamentally wrong:

"The restaurant payment processing company Toast has now started adding a 99 cent charge to all charges over $10 that are processed by the payment processor."

The part in red is completely useless, as obviously, they can't add charges to things that they don't have anything to do with.

That's like saying "The tire manufacturing company XYZ is raising prices ... of their own tires ... that they make" Like no shit, it's their own tires.

Sorry, just things I can't unsee...

On 7/11/2023 at 9:08 AM, lorodoes said:

The 99 cent charge is supposed to be used for research and development.

That is very strange.

Any and all taxes on these 99¢ charges better be paid by Toast. They are the ones pocketing that money. If not, I would suggest the owners to sue Toast for it. It's theft at that point and probably tax fraud too. Even more so if the restaurant isn't the one adding this charge.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

One gets away with it....... (im faily certain they arent the 1st ones doing it but forget who was it)