Samsung 970 evo plus speed lower than normal

Hello

I bought a samsung 970 evo plus ssd recently and putted it in my hp 15-da1056nx laptop which has the following specs:

i5-8265U

16gb + 4gb ddr4 ram 2400mhz.

and the ssd speed is only 1700 mb/s when I benchmark it instead of 3500 mb/s of what advertised and what I saw on the internet of other people benchmarks.

is this normal for my laptop? Or is there a problem with the ssd?

IMG_9701.jpeg

Most likely it is your network connection is not fast enough to get what the ssd max can do

45 minutes ago, weaselfinder said:

Most likely it is your network connection is not fast enough to get what the ssd max can do

A network connection have nothing to do with a benchmark test

Use crystaldiskinfo to confirm that the SSD is running at pcie 3.0x4 and not just x2, since the highest numbers are a fourth or half of what I expect. If it is running at x2, either that's a laptop mobo limitation, there's a BIOS setting that might help, or less likely is an SSD issue preventing 2 lanes form being used. Also makes sure Samsung Magician says that TRIM and AHCI (instead of IDE) are enabled. That's all I personally know to check given that your SSD is empty.

4 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

Use crystaldiskinfo to confirm that the SSD is running at pcie 3.0x4 and not just x2, since the highest numbers are a fourth or half of what I expect. If it is running at x2, either that's a laptop mobo limitation, there's a BIOS setting that might help, or less likely is an SSD issue preventing 2 lanes form being used. Also makes sure Samsung Magician says that TRIM and AHCI (instead of IDE) are enabled. That's all I personally know to check given that your SSD is empty.

On crystaldiskinfo it says transfer mode: PCIe 3.0 x2 | PCIe 3.0 x4

And in samsung magician it says interface: PCIe gen. 3 x 2

5 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

That's a picture of the slot doesn’t 5 pins before the notch means it supports PCIe gen 3 x 4?

IMG_9715.jpeg

6 hours ago, Hasan Aljobory said:

That's a picture of the slot doesn’t 5 pins before the notch means it supports PCIe gen 3 x 4?

IMG_9715.jpeg

I thought that the number of pins only indicates that it is a slot type "M", and is not a primary indicator of how many pcie lanes the mobo dedicates to the SSD. For all I know, the chips set bandwidth might share the 4 lanes with something else which may diminish speeds.

I know that many consumer mobos with two m.2 slots will share lanes/bandwidth of the second slot with other devices including but not limited to SATA devices.

2 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

I thought that the number of pins only indicates that it is a slot type "M", and is not a primary indicator of how many pcie lanes the mobo dedicates to the SSD. For all I know, the chips set bandwidth might share the 4 lanes with something else which may diminish speeds.

I know that many consumer mobos with two m.2 slots will share lanes/bandwidth of the second slot with other devices including but not limited to SATA devices.

As I heard from some people on hp community support is that 2 lanes are for gpu for laptops with integrated graphics and the rest two lanes are for the m.2 ssd which supports both sata and nvme m.2 ssd

4 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

[UPDATE FORM THE HP SUPPORT COMMUNITY]:

Hi:

Unfortunately, that is normal for the entire HP 15-da0xxx, 15-da1xxx and HP 250 G7 model series.

For some reason while NVMe SSD's are supported, they only use two PCIe lanes, so they run at approximately half of their advertised speeds.

Many forum members such as yourself have reported this problem, so there is nothing wrong with your NVMe SSD and there is no way to get all 4 PCIe lanes to work.

—————————————————————

huh I guess I should blame myself for buying hp aka (e-waste but €500+)