Coolest (Think Temps) Case??

RevGAM
23 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

I would honestly be shocked if thermals change much at all if you remove the rear fan and just run the front fans 100 RPM higher.

In Wind Tunnel cases of olde times like the TJ08e Adding a rear fan did nothing at all.

You do have to be careful with those front 180mm fans, especially the bottom one. My friend built a R5 7600 and 6700XT rig in a FD Torrent Compact and never tuned the front fans. The bottom 180mm fan was dead heading the 6700XT's fans and causing high GPU temps+stability issues, that was simply solved by tuning those fans to run at a lower RPM.

Now is that possible in the much larger FD Torrent? I'm not sure, since the front fans are far closer to the GPU in the compact version.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

18 minutes ago, Agall said:

So you're disagreeing with my testing and conclusion while refusing to validate your own claims and counter points?

I am disagreeing that any of that needs to be done at all. I'm not experiencing a problem that needs to be solved. I have no claims and don't feel the need to counter any points. 

It seems you're just turning a non-issue into an overly complex technical problem to solve that no one is asking for and I don't understand why. 

2 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

This is a lot of word salad and not congruent with your previous posting in which you specifically complained about thermals.

It seems like you are trying to justify your single outlier with your PSU and issue, that does not seem to be representative of others, including people posting in here with the same case and similar SWAP.

They are disagreeing that your issue needed to be solved my changing the case, as it does not seem to be impacting others.

I tested 3 different PSUs in the FD Torrent, which all had the same obvious result of having a substantial amount of extra heat exhausting from them.

I give the caveat of 'mid tier system' for a reason. A balls to the wall OC'd RTX 4090 draws ~30% more energy than a stock clocked one, which includes the overhead from the PSU's losses. That's about another 150W, which is the total draw of a GPU for a lot of people's GPUs alone, let alone additive to an already absurd 450W.

"I have my contentions with the FD Torrent. A major problem with the case is if you're running a high wattage system, the power supply can overheat since its only one of two potential forced exhausts."

"In my opinion, if they shifted the front fans down to the bottom and shifted the PSU forward (using an extension to reach the rear) then adding a 180mm fan to the rear, it would be a perfect case. In its current state, its sacrificing PSU temperatures for GPU temperatures which is a problem on high end system."

Keep in mind that this is the root statement we're discussing, unless you feel like further arguments are contradicting and/or separate from this original statement. 

I genuinely don't see how this is contentious unless someone has done testing in this scenario to contradict my claims directly, something that at least one person arguing with me about it has the capability of doing. Please prove me wrong, have a +700W system in a FD Torrent that doesn't exhaust a substantial amount more energy through the PSU and therefore decreasing its efficiency. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

I would buy one if you needed it.. or want 😄 

But if you cant use it, then I wouldn't bother.

It is a good case though.

But does he have a useCASE for it?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 minutes ago, Agall said:

I genuinely don't see how this is contentious unless someone has done testing in this scenario to contradict my claims directly, something that at least one person arguing with me about it has the capability of doing. Please prove me wrong, have a +700W system in a FD Torrent that doesn't exhaust a substantial amount more energy through the PSU and therefore decreasing its efficiency. 

Can you tell me what I stand to gain or how my games will play better? My system is quiet and is mind-blowingly fast as is. Thanks. I don't care about min/max overclocking, its ultimately useless to me.

I don't believe anyone feels they need to prove you wrong. We just don't care about your theory. 

11 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I am disagreeing that any of that needs to be done at all. I'm not experiencing a problem that needs to be solved. I have no claims and don't feel the need to counter any points. 

It seems you're just turning a non-issue into an overly complex technical problem to solve that no one is asking for and I don't understand why. 

We're having a discussion about thermodynamics in a specific case which I made suggestions on how to maximize. FD Torrent is clearly not perfect, which is somehow contentious, since it does sacrifice PSU temperatures in its design which I don't believe it has to.

Giving the PSU an earlier intake by moving it forward is somehow contentious than having it intake off the exhaust of the CPU and GPU. It would also free up the ability for the case to run a more capable 180mm rear exhaust, which would be a far better balanced airflow channel given the 3x140mm and 2x180mm THICC fans the case includes.

image.png.64c096b46eb874d856afbc336947f9ee.png

Look, the PSU no longer intakes off the exhaust of the GPU and CPU.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Can you tell me what I stand to gain or how my games will play better? My system is quiet and is mind-blowingly fast as is. Thanks. I don't care about min/max overclocking, its ultimately useless to me.

I don't believe anyone feels they need to prove you wrong. We just don't care about your theory. 

If you don't care to discuss case design in a thread about the best cases, then I'm not sure why you're here and replying to me in the first place.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

We're having a discussion about thermodynamics in a specific case which I made suggestions on how to maximize. FD Torrent is clearly not perfect, which is somehow contentious, since it does sacrifice PSU temperatures in its design which I don't believe it has to.

Giving the PSU an earlier intake by moving it forward is somehow contentious than having it intake off the exhaust of the CPU and GPU. It would also free up the ability for the case to run a more capable 180mm rear exhaust, which would be a far better balanced airflow channel given the 3x140mm and 2x180mm THICC fans the case includes.

I feel like we're getting no where at this point but you are having a conversation about thermodynamics. I personally simply do not care to get that nerdy about it as what exists works and works well enough. Are PSU temps higher? Who knows, I don't have a sensor there but it functions and that's all I care about. My PSU has a ball bearing fan that I can hear when it kicks on and it never does in normal operation. 

This is honestly just a big 🤷‍♂️ to me. I don't go out of my way to solve problems that might not exist. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I feel like we're getting no where at this point but you are having a conversation about thermodynamics. I personally simply do not care to get that nerdy about it as what exists works and works well enough. Are PSU temps higher? Who knows, I don't have a sensor there but it functions and that's all I care about. My PSU has a ball bearing fan that I can hear when it kicks on and it never does in normal operation. 

This is honestly just a big 🤷‍♂️ to me. I don't go out of my way to solve problems that might not exist. 

We're talking about temperatures and cases but yet you don't see the necessity of discussing thermodynamics? Trying not to get snarky here, but the whole purpose of a case is to protect components with minimal sacrifice to thermodynamics, which is obviously a fundamental part of any discussion about cases.

Thermodynamics is an incredibly complex concept with thousands of variables, the math for it being extremely complex and nuanced. I have a pretty good understanding of it because of my background operating nuclear reactors, and the education required to do so that heavily involves thermodynamics on top of other fields.

If you choose to not discuss thermodynamics in a conversation about temperatures and cases, then feel free to ignore my replies if you have nothing to contribute except apathy. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

Trying not to get snarky here, but the whole purpose of a case is to protect components with minimal sacrifice to thermodynamics, which is obviously a fundamental part of any discussion about cases.

Which is exactly what its doing so all good in my book! 👍

My system routinely sees 600w loads for extended periods on a 750w PSU.. it is not starving.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

gn test case with his normlised case test. witch is 40 db and things locked. with case its tested with 2 front and 1 back as most case come with some fan.

but bottem mounted fan sould help with gpu temps. so i would do one front, one bottem, one back.imo

that case that has 2x 200mm fans on the bottem is the best for gpu temps but its an aio case and can only do like 280 in top

the 180mm fans back then could beat the 200mm fans as they ran a hier rpm. dont no about the fractal 180mm fans. but there so few options most dont realy care.

any chimmy wont be any use with moving air and bottem to top or front to back probly wont mater ether. what matter is air going in to the gpu/cpu with out doing a 90. gpu exhausting at the side windo is a big problem for gpu temp. bottem fans helps push it up and out or at the back fan.

smaller case will be better as the fans will be closer to what there cooling but cant add more if cooling is not enuff. but i mean like 2-3c from best fans is all you can really get yousing the best fans and best case.

and the cost to get that low is not worth it ever. save the moeny and buy more stuff is somthing dose die.

its a myth that things will die running hot like 85c-95c there no proof that it will make it not last as long. but most people will want to uprage before somthing dies anyway.

anyway maxing out a case with fans is not tested anywhere

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

If you are worried, maybe put something other than an iPPC fan at the exhaust? You don't even need an exhaust with that case.

6 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

I would honestly be shocked if thermals change much at all if you remove the rear fan and just run the front fans 100 RPM higher.

In Wind Tunnel cases of olde times like the TJ08e Adding a rear fan did nothing at all.

I don't remember which reviewer it was or any of the details (old age sucks), but a guy took a case that had 1-2 front fans only and added fans one by one in the back and on top. He used smoke to see the effects and noticed a dramatic improvement with one rear exhaust. If I recall correctly, when he added one to the top rear, there was another (lesser) improvement. Putting a fan in the top front position removed incoming cool air from the front top, so it wasn't useful to do.

@TeraSeraph's testing of a mixed flow (rear to front) with the top rear being split to blow onto the CPU cooler and the top front exhausting) produced very nice results. TS put up a separate thread about that, although I think you've already seen it.

6 hours ago, Failure 101 said:

But does he have a useCASE for it?

Yes, as I already stated.

6 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

When you choose to speak for "anyone" you are speaking for everyone, which immediately makes you wrong. Blanket statements are wrong 99.999% of the time. I try to avoid them, but I think almost everyone falls into that trap - myself included.

I'm not an OCer, and probably never will be, but there are plenty of people who will disagree with you about how you feel about Agall's theory. I do, however, agree that there's no need to prove or disprove it outside of those who have interest in it - even if they disagree.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

11 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I'm not an OCer, and probably never will be, but there are plenty of people who will disagree with you about how you feel about Agall's theory. 

It was never that I disagreed with the theory, it was that I didn’t feel I needed to test as I was unsure how it was going to improve my real world (frankly already great) experience. I did not get an answer there. 

I honestly don’t know how this even happened. The case in question is universally reviewed to be awesome. If there are overall negative reviews I haven’t seen them. 

It’s a case. Air comes in and goes out. It’s just not that serious. 

7 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

Your experience seems to agree with most if not all reviews I have seen of this case... No one cares about PSU thermals because its supposed to be designed to take it. If ones PSU cant survive in the ATX/PS2 specs, then its just kinda a crappy PSU.

Oh you'd be surprised. I went for a while fighting OTP on a Corsair SF600 in a RVZ03B case. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

37 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

It was never that I disagreed with the theory, it was that I didn’t feel I needed to test as I was unsure how it was going to improve my real world (frankly already great) experience. I did not get an answer there.

I'm not disagreeing with you about that - I'm disagreeing with your blanket statement.

38 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I honestly don’t know how this even happened. The case in question is universally reviewed to be awesome. If there are overall negative reviews I haven’t seen them. 

There you go again. Universally is no longer true, since you've already seen @Agall's criticisms. 😉 I hope you get my point, and no offense intended.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

9 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I'm not disagreeing with you about that - I'm disagreeing with your blanket statement.

There you go again. Universally is no longer true, since you've already seen @Agall's criticisms. 😉 I hope you get my point, and no offense intended.

I get it but comon man, we're in the real world here. Is the case bad or not? Is that not what this is actually about? 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I get it but comon man, we're in the real world here. Is the case bad or not? Is that not what this is actually about? 

No, the case is not bad. It is, as all cases are, imperfect.

But, this thread is finding out which cases are considered the best for airflow/temps.

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

No, the case is not bad. It is, as all cases are, imperfect.

But, this thread is finding out which cases are considered the best for airflow/temps.

Well, back to my first post, Torrent is, and let me be careful here... "very good in that regard in my experience and in in the reviews we've all seen since its launch". 

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

'm not an OCer, and probably never will be

You say it like its such a dirty thing 😄

Yes, I touch my bios in impure ways 🫶

Edit:

The Torrent is an awesome case. End of story.

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Well, back to my first post, Torrent is, and let me be careful here... "very good in that regard in my experience and in in the reviews we've all seen since its launch". 

I've only seen Agall's. 😉

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I've only seen Agall's. 😉

I don't even know what's going on anymore. When products are released they're usually well reviewed. Either way, good luck with your search. 

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I don't even know what's going on anymore. When products are released they're usually well reviewed. Either way, good luck with your search. 

Dizzying, ain't it? 😉

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Dizzying, ain't it? 😉

Oh i'm great. Looked at what was out there and bought a well liked option and its fantastic (done that for the last 20 years). A number of good cases have been mentioned, all which can be now researched given their multitude of 3rd party reviews. 

Is that not what you're after?