Coolest (Think Temps) Case??

RevGAM

I know some people are crazy about the Lian Li LanCool III, and others will vote for the Fractal Design North, but what do you think are the top 5 (or more) cases for keeping your PC cool without having to remove/replace panels, modify (e.g. pull out the tools), or load up on fans?

Extra points if you can include cases with:

• bottom to top flow
  • rear to front flow
  • negative pressure
  • not all mesh
  • best price to performance (dig deep into that bargain basement!)

They must all, however, sport the ability to maintain some of the lowest temperatures.

Oh, and one more thing. If you want to make more than one list because of different sizes (especially the tiny ones), you're welcome to do so.

EDIT
Finally, the computer must be usable. You must be able to turn it on.

Edited by RevGAM
To poke fun at Kaetemi

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I know some people are crazy about the Lian Li LanCool III, and others will vote for the Fractal Design North, but what do you think are the top 5 (or more) cases for keeping your PC cool without having to remove/replace panels, modify (e.g. pull out the tools), or load up on fans?

• bottom to top flow
  • rear to front flow
  • negative pressure
  • not all mesh

They must all, however, sport the ability to maintain some of the lowest temperatures.

Oh, and one more thing. If you want to make more than one list because of different sizes (especially the tiny ones), you're welcome to do so.

-Fractal Design North white with mesh

-Fractal Design North black with mesh

-No case

-Cardboard box

-Elaborate series of mirrors

There's my list.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017

I'll throw a wrench into all your ideas: The Sliger SM580. From what I've gathered and experienced personally, the best airflow pattern is exhaust on the top and bottom, but the temps you can get for being a SFF case are absolutely mental. Dust buildup is comically minimal as well.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

10 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

I'll throw a wrench into all your ideas: The Sliger SM580. From what I've gathered and experienced personally, the best airflow pattern is exhaust on the top and bottom, but the temps you can get for being a SFF case are absolutely mental. Dust buildup is comically minimal as well.

You forgot to mention that it has a carrying handle. 馃捈

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Fractal Torrent.聽

That鈥檚 it. That鈥檚 the list. All of the air in and all of the air out.聽

All, you say? So it's in a constant vacuum and not a vacuum state at all times? Is there a cat in there, too? Schroedinger

15 minutes ago, Agall said:

-Fractal Design North white with mesh - modified

-Fractal Design North black with mesh - modified

-No case - doesn't meet criteria

-Cardboard box - doesn't qualify as a case unless you can build one now and fill it with mounted components and be able to use it 馃槢

-Elaborate series of mirrors - see "Cardboard box"

There's my list.

Wise guy! 馃ぃ

I'd check out Gamers' Nexus case round ups. They provide really good data on airflow, temps, and noise. I relied heavily on those when choosing my case (Corsair 4000D Airflow, which I'm quite happy with)

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

All, you say? So it's in a constant vacuum and not a vacuum state at all times? Is there a cat in there, too? Schroedinger

What more does one want in a case? All the airflow you could need, striking good looks, fans are included (2x180 and 3x140 in the full size) and available in 3 sizes.聽

19 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

• bottom to top flow
  • rear to front flow
  • negative pressure
  • not all mesh

Torrent. End of Story聽
Honorable Mentions: Lancool III Lancool 215/6 G360A And the O11 Air and the HAF 500/700 are surprising good for airflow

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What more does one want in a case? All the airflow you could need, striking good looks, fans are included (2x180 and 3x140 in the full size) and available in 3 sizes.聽

Being able to top mount a AIO or front mount without getting rid of the 180mm fans
(Hi Gulity)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I'd check out Gamers' Nexus case round ups. They provide really good data on airflow, temps, and noise. I relied heavily on those when choosing my case (Corsair 4000D Airflow, which I'm quite happy with)

If I recall correctly, I've watched at least one of those, and they don't just look at best airflow/temps. I'm more interested in a roundup of just this category.聽 I mean, they've got a terrarium case in there! 馃槺馃檮:old-eyeroll:

6 minutes ago, Kaetemi said:

You can put your PC in here, and it'll keep it cool.

Probably will overload the compressor and then you have your PC in a hotbox.聽

22 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

What Immediately comes to mind as someone that does not care for water cooling are the following:

The Old Silverstone Raven RV02 cases with 3 180MM AP183 fans in the bottom ; The fans total 450CFM

The Current Fractal Torrent lines

Some sort of open bench with a few fans on the front.

Is that Raven a bottom to top design with a rotated mobo?

Sorry, open bench isn't a case.

9 minutes ago, Kaetemi said:

Not exactly what I had in mind, and you'd have to modify it to be able to use the computer. 馃槈 :old-laugh:

4 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

So 25 years ago we used to try this with upright freezers, the big problem was if you ever opened the fridge after the system was on and chilled down it would condensate and fry your board. But you are right, now days the compressor is just going to be sized for max efficiency and not be able to handle you dumping 500-600 watts into the unit.

1. Yes. Stack effect is neat engineering, but total bollocks in a PC case the second you strap a fan or two in it. The only reason I listed this case is it comes with 3 of some of the best "180mm" class fans.聽

2.Open Bench meets all of your criteria as set forth in the OP - its not all mesh, you don't have to remove side panels, and its cheap ( as in that one is 30 dollars on amazon)

1. By "stack effect" you mean bottom to top?
  2. Uh, I said case, wise-acre. A bench is not a case, a case is not a bench. Cases have 6 sides (or more) and enclose the PC. A bench doesn't even have 4 sides and doesn't enclose anything.
    I didn't require not all mesh - that was for bonus points, and I didn't say "no mesh").
    I didn't mention price. 馃捀
    Not removing side panels was a requirement for any case listed - if it doesn't have side panels, it doesn't qualify at all because it's not a case. Yes, I know, there are open cases out there, but they do actually have a top and bottom, and at least one side. 馃槢 Personally, I don't think that open cases can be considered because they lack 6 sides and, thus, are not true cases. But I can take that on a case-by-case basis. 馃槅

case: a container designed to hold or protect something.

Just in case anyone is confused, I want to bench the confusion over case vs bench.

Case:

TV450B_IMG_7482.jpg?Width=800&Height=450

Bench:

628x471.jpg

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

You forgot to mention that it has a carrying handle. 馃捈

That is true, I forgot you could spec them with it (initially I didn't but I just got my handle for it last week lol).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 hours ago, Agall said:

-Elaborate series of mirrors

This made me laugh 馃槃

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, Kaetemi said:

image.png.bdbf3a5855b9fb129cae5c2e26798709.png

Didn't LTT actually do a video where they tested this?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Probably will overload the compressor and then you have your PC in a hotbox.聽

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Not exactly what I had in mind, and you'd have to modify it to be able to use the computer. 馃槈 :old-laugh:

Actually running the computer was not among the requirements, just keeping it cool.

10 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

1. Yes. stack effect, chimney effect, etc etc

2. You absolutely mentioned price.

image.png.d34b6efaeb762b5b1807531460ec5818.png

Yes, but that was for bonus points. 馃槈聽 Seriously, you're right - it was not a requirement, though. And still not a case. 馃槢 But I'll give you lots of points for the Raven!

In reality, I should've just gone to bed before responding to anyone. Looking back, I can see that how tired I was seriously affected my responses. I mean, just look at the examples I posted for case and bench! Anyone can see that I was too out of it!

10 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Just in case anyone is confused, I want to bench the confusion over case vs bench.

Case:

TV450B_IMG_7482.jpg?Width=800&Height=450

Bench:

628x471.jpg

Good golly, what was I thinking? These are clearly the wrong pictures!

Let me try again!

These should be better!
Case+IH+2.jpg

If I'm going to ask for multiple cases, I have to present multiple cases!!

How dare I give an example of a Bench that's black and white and out-of-date?!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-t_A2jVxcS1uZ_-Uz2Pa

11 hours ago, freeagent said:

This made me laugh 馃槃

See, the rumors aren't true!

@Agallhas a great sense of humor! 馃槈 馃ぃ

Edited by RevGAM
Named Agall