Orico M.2 enclosure recommended by Linus sucks.

SkillTim

In a recent video Linus said this was a good buy for tech people wanting to recover data from an M.2. Alright, something I need now and in the future. I plugged my recently removed Samsung 980 PRO 1TB (Firmware v5) from my PC because it seemed to slow down with the firmware update. I had a back up, I'm not stupid. Placing it in the encosure and plugging in with supplied USB-C cable. It got ~1000MB/s reads and writes in Crystal Disk Mark. Not bad but I guess I should have looked at the spec of the enclosure. I was expecting an NVMe drive that is capable of 7000MB/s to at least have a 20Gb/s interface instead of 10Gb/s (~1000MB/s because of overhead). My Motherboard has USB-C 3.2 2x2 (20Gb/s). I tried it with a USB-A to USB-C cable and it got 462MB/s so nothing is unreasonable for the spec. My motherboard doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 (40Gb/s) so it can't get to that speed either. It will be fine for the price but wish it had USB 3.2 2x2.

My main concern was that the drive partitions show up in Disk Management but not in the This PC directory. Formatting the drive in there didn't correct it. I had to delete the partition and then create a new volume to get it to show up in This PC. This is a major problem if half the reason for buying it was to recover data from an existing drive. My first thought was Secure boot blocking it or some other thing like Rapid Storage Technology not being active over USB. Anyway, I feel like this is something Linus and the team should address.

Screenshot 2023-07-01 102344.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 103633.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 103709.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 104629.png

Intel Core i7-13700F | ASUS Z690M PLUS D4 | 2x16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz CL16 | Zotac RTX 4070 Super 12GB | WD SN770 2TB SSD | Fractal ION+ 860W Platinum | Fractal Focus G Mini Case | Alienware 27" 1440p 240Hz G-SYNC Ultimate | Logitech THX 2.1 Speakers | Windows 11 Pro

Considering the price it’s actually a pretty good deal IMO. (Or at-least it was when I was shopping for a 40Gb/s one recently. They were so expensive I ended up buying one very similar this.)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Considering how few and far between 10Gbit USB devices are, its definitely good for the price.  However I agree its rather concerning if it doesn't show up correctly in Windows.

Problem is, NVMe was designed to be a PCIe interface so I'd imagine there is a lot of trickery to convert from USB to PCIe to make this sort of thing work at all and the cheaper the device, the more likely they chose shortcuts to get there.

I wonder if the one you bought maybe uses a different controller to what Linus tested?  Sadly another common tactic to keep costs down, no guarantees two different batches are internally the same thing.

Though you did say it shows in disk management, did you actually assign drive letters to the partitions?  Its not uncommon for Windows to not do so if its not understanding its an external drive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks Alex. I'll keep the drive letter in mind when putting my next M.2 in there.

Intel Core i7-13700F | ASUS Z690M PLUS D4 | 2x16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz CL16 | Zotac RTX 4070 Super 12GB | WD SN770 2TB SSD | Fractal ION+ 860W Platinum | Fractal Focus G Mini Case | Alienware 27" 1440p 240Hz G-SYNC Ultimate | Logitech THX 2.1 Speakers | Windows 11 Pro

I don’t understand, you bought a USB enclosure with USB 10Gbps bridge, how in the world you want to get more then that?

I do have a 20Gbps enclosure from orico, and it’s working just fine…

and the USB A result is probably because of the USB interface limit, as i have no problem doing 10Gbps on the USB A that is actually USB 10Gbps port. but this true USB A 10Gbps ports are rare. other explanation is that you had second device on the same USB controller if it was true 10Gbps port. 

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

i started looking into all m.2 enclourses recently and it looks like they all suck because none of them allow for decent airflow over the SSD. so you might want to take the cover off of it and see what that does for your speeds and everything.

tdkid, the kit came with a thermal pad that transfers heat to the enclosure. It got warm but was fine.

I can see Orico 20Gbps enclosures for double the price. I assumed the 'trust me bro' guy would have paired a 2500MB/s SSD with a 20Gbps enclosure but no, he wants the clicks so users future Amazon orders will get commission from the dirt cheap purchase. This has been my issue from the start. His videos haven't always been bang for the buck when that's all the information they want from their entertainment.

P.S. I didn't click the link in the description.

4 hours ago, SkillTim said:

tdkid, the kit came with a thermal pad that transfers heat to the enclosure. It got warm but was fine.

I can see Orico 20Gbps enclosures for double the price. I assumed the 'trust me bro' guy would have paired a 2500MB/s SSD with a 20Gbps enclosure but no, he wants the clicks so users future Amazon orders will get commission from the dirt cheap purchase. This has been my issue from the start. His videos haven't always been bang for the buck when that's all the information they want from their entertainment.

P.S. I didn't click the link in the description.

Instead of trusting an internet celebrity, why didn't you read even the main description of the product that you were buying. It clearly states if fairly large font that it is 10Gbps.

This is 100% a you problem.

Ding ding ding. You win.

i have had good experience with the Ugreen M.2 enclosure we have been selling them for the last couple months at work.

personally i own, or have used:

Asus ROG is pricey but works great for long transfers.

Vantec also makes one that works pretty good, but can slow down after an hour due to heat (55-60c).

Elite m.2 enclosure also works pretty good, but the drive was hitting 60-70C after an hour. (replaced with Asus)

i tend to use these enclosures for data transfer, so long sustained reads and writes.

i cant remember the exact numbers for the transfer speeds, but the Asus was the fastest out of the 4 enclosures.

Edited by shamus20
to add more information

I think I've worked it out. In the BIOS Intel RST was on and I wasn't able to turn it off, it would come back on after reboot. I had to dig deep and turn off VMD as part of SA configuration. 

Whenever a drive is setup with RST enabled it uses virtual drivers to get it working on that machine and that machine only. RST is for old HDDs so I don't know why they allow it to be turned on for NVMe.

If there's a reason to slam the enclosure in the video, which is different from the tool less one you bought, I would criticize it for being confusing on supporting TRIM (their support says no even though the device supports something else that ultimately supports TRIM) and causing drive sleep that could defeat SSD firmware's own garbage collection independent of OS driven TRIM. These two things are issues with other enclosures too though.

• 1 month later...

LTT team should make a video about enclosures and chipsets, NVMe, SATA, etc.

Bought a 2.5" SATA enclosure made by Orico recently after reading a review somewhere. Unfortunately received the older model that is apparently still sold alongside the newer model, same looks, different chipsets, one does ~4xxMB/s the other one does 5xxMB/s, ASM225CM vs ASM235CM. Nobody should ever have to unknowingly get stuck with outdated chipsets and performance. Need for force manufacturers and sellers to step-up. 10Gbps, 20Gbps, 40Gbps by themselves just don't say much. 

Very hard to find enclosures with recent chipsets (VL716, VL717, RTL9210B, ASM235CM), most manufacturers and sellers make it difficult to find that info. Fwiw, most manufacturers have barely any idea of good product design in the first place, or so it seems, or one wouldn't get a plastic insert with an aluminium shell where the hot ssd makes essentially no direct contact with the aluminium, but that's a whole other rant. 90% of enclosures have some tool-free design now at the cost of size and cooling. Also almost all enclosures support 9.5mm when most people looking at this topic with any seriousness probably have a 7mm SATA SSD. smh.

5950X • Asus B550-I • 32GB GSkill 3800 C14 • 3090FE • Samsung 990 Pro 2TB • Winter One • custom loop

For M.2 SATA you want a 10Gbps solution to get the full 6Gbps SATA speeds rather than 5Gbps, e.g. JMS580 over JMS578. Better yet, a 10Gbps chipset that does both SATA and NVMe, like the RTL9210B in Sabrent's enclosure. That particular chipset is probably the best of the 10Gbps options. Realtek has a 20Gbps one out now as well which should be more flexible than the ASM2364.