Crytek Shares Secrets of Using Xbox One eSRAM’s Full Potential

JAKEBAB

“CryEngine has a unique and novel solution for this and was shipped with Ryse. One of the problems when using Deferred Shading is that it’s very heavy on bandwidth usage/memory traffic. This gets exponentially worse as overlapping lights cause considerable amounts of redundant read and write operations. In Ryse our graphics engineers created a system called tiled shading to take advantage of the Xbox One,” Sean explained.

“This splits the screen into tiles and generates a list of all the lights effective each title using a compute shader. It then cull’s light by min/max extents of the tile. We then loop over the light list for each tile and apply shading.

Ultimately this resulted into bandwidth gains and they were able to use just a single compute shader for culling and lighting, which is simply phenomenal. “In practice this made for the biggest bandwidth save we could have hoped for, as just reading the Gbuffer once and writing shading results once at the end for each pixel. Only a single compute shader was used in Ryse for light culling and executing entire lighting and shading pipelines (with some small exceptions for complex surfaces like skin and hair).”

I knew this would happen tho its just like ps3 they didnt know the best way to code for it hopefully there will be more improvements like this.

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/crytek-shares-secrets-of-using-xbox-one-esrams-full-potential-resulted-in-big-bandwidth-saves

Maybe they should focus on making a game that plays well and is interesting instead of some short bland graphics fest.  If I wanted that I'd watch a Dreamworks/Pixar spinoff.

AKA DDR3 was so slow we had to waste time and money on figuring out how to utilize 32Mb of SRAM to help us

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Maybe they should focus on making a game that plays well and is interesting instead of some short bland graphics fest.  If I wanted that I'd watch a Dreamworks/Pixar spinoff.

except this means something very good, they were able to reduce the amount of redundant scheduled tasks by an amount large enough to have 32mb of ram work sufficiently. That won't track 100% for large scale stuff like pc's, but that means they discovered another way to optimize shading and lighting (biggest hit to performance out there besides AA)

Holy crap have you read the comments below?

"The X1 was designed with forward thinking and Tiled Resources are the future and when it becomes the norm in a few years"

NOOOOO they had to do tiled resourced because the damn thing isnt powerful enough....wtf is wrong with people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

except this means something very good, they were able to reduce the amount of redundant scheduled tasks by an amount large enough to have 32mb of ram work sufficiently. That won't track 100% for large scale stuff like pc's, but that means they discovered another way to optimize shading and lighting (biggest hit to performance out there besides AA)

I agree, it's a neat little solution.

Didn't mean to come across as negative in my first reply, I do find this interesting.

The game however... not so much...

"The X1 was designed with forward thinking and Tiled Resources are the future and when it becomes the norm in a few years"

NOOOOO they had to do tiled resourced because the damn thing isnt powerful enough....wtf is wrong with people

Because the greatest improvements to ever be made in history were never done to improve something :rolleyes:

This is amazing.
Now imagine the complex lighting you could do with this if you have 2-3GB GDRR5 :o

This is the good thing about console the crappy hardware causes devs to find more efficient ways which leads to better performance for us :D

RTX2070OC 

Because the greatest improvements to ever be made in history were never done to improve something :rolleyes:

No I am not saying that what Cretek have done isnt good or impressive or meaningful. Tricks like this are fantastic and really help especially lower end hardware, but even on high end stuff it helps a great deal. If something can be done more efficiently with little loss on quality then thats great

I was laughing at the people claiming in the comments that this was some sort of planned thing Microsoft did, that the xbone was "forward thinking" forcing devs to develop new ways of rendering graphics.

Like this guy says "They built the console like they did for a reason. Crytek are saying they can see the reason why they did it"

Well not really, Crytek have developed this due to hardware limitations, it wasnt exactly a planned thing, people get SO defensive over this stuff

Also this comment

"well go build 3 PCs with exactly the same specs and hardware. Put linux on one, IOS and windows on the other 2."

IOS? I think he means OSX :P totally going install IOS on my pc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Such cleverness wasted on such shit hardware, if only they would put that effort into optimizing and improving their PC engine so it still looks as good but isn't as resource intensive, too bad they're busy attempting to save Microsoft's ass from their stupid xbone with crap like Ryse

-------

Current Rig

-------

No, that would be good if they would actually apply it to the stuff on PC but there's no indication that they will.

-------

Current Rig

-------

so crytek figured a way to make shaders, more efficient, to bad i didn't help that much with ryse graphics also 

why is hard for people to use ctrl+mayus+c aka paste without formatting is beyond me -__- it even make the content look better in others themes that aren't night theme

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

yeah is funny as hell, i have spent the last 30 min reading so much bullcrap in the comments that im feed up for at least a month hehehe :P

PC Gaming forever...

why is hard for people to use ctrl+mayus+c aka paste without formatting is beyond me

Maybe because nobody knows about it? including me? I have even seen Linus paste something in and not know how to remove the formatting

mini rant]why is hard for people to use ctrl+mayus+c aka paste without formatting is beyond me -__- it even make the content look better in others themes that aren't night theme

I dont know any short cuts what is mayus? i will gladly use it next time i just didint know how to.

I dont know any short cuts what is mayus? i will gladly use it next time i just didint know how to.

right click and paste whitout formatting its under the normal paste that works too

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This wouldn't have been a problem if they didn't use pathetic hardware in the first place.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

SOlving a problem that didn't need to be solved is stupid. All the devs should have just said f this and had not developed for the XBone which is the worst hardware solution I have ever heard. Microsoft could have made it mush simpler by just giving the system a separate 4GB of GDDR5 memory and 8GB of RAM. The PS4 should have just done the same. Why do they always go down exotic routes when the system that is already there is far better in every way. Sharing your memory with the GPU and CPU is a fucking stupid idea, you limit resources. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

SOlving a problem that didn't need to be solved is stupid. All the devs should have just said f this and had not developed for the XBone which is the worst hardware solution I have ever heard. Microsoft could have made it mush simpler by just giving the system a separate 4GB of GDDR5 memory and 8GB of RAM. The PS4 should have just done the same. Why do they always go down exotic routes when the system that is already there is far better in every way. Sharing your memory with the GPU and CPU is a fucking stupid idea, you limit resources. 

These are the 2 things you need to understand about the Console hardware, together they form the core of their business strategy

1) Cost vs returns

2) Hubris

i.e. Microsoft would rather cut costs everywhere they can on the hardware before admitting Kinect was a fucking mistake and should have never happened, not even for the 360 and certainly not as a fucking mandatory item for a console launch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Imagine if both consoles had the same hardware tho then people would complain about that no one can really win.

These are the 2 things you need to understand about the Console hardware, together they form the core of their business strategy

1) Cost vs returns

2) Hubris

i.e. Microsoft would rather cut costs everywhere they can on the hardware before admitting Kinect was a fucking mistake and should have never happened, not even for the 360 and certainly not as a fucking mandatory item for a console launch.

Kinect wont be a mistake if they develop vr for the xbox or even pc the kinect is classed as the best tracking solution.

Imagine if both consoles had the same hardware tho then people would complain about that no one can really win.

Kinect wont be a mistake if they develop vr for the xbox or even pc the kinect is classed as the best tracking solution.

Oh trust me, VR will be another fucking mistake considering the stupid thing can't even render proper 1080p for decent games, and you can quote me on that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And yet Ryse still had to run at 30 fps and 1600x900...

Oh trust me, VR will be another fucking mistake considering the stupid thing can't even render proper 1080p for decent games, and you can quote me on that.

Yeah VR would be terrible on the Xbone. Too low frame rate and too low resolution.

Kinect for Windows would be handy for VR though.

Maybe they should focus on making a game that plays well and is interesting instead of some short bland graphics fest. If I wanted that I'd watch a Dreamworks/Pixar spinoff.

You're kidding right? This whole shading thing is about getting great results with using less resources. Aka playing well on the system.

I realm hope that when DX12 is released that the Xbox one really shines after that. It is being held back a bit through DX11. Sony of course uses open source products with supports the hardware better. Sony does have advantages in hardware right now with their system but hopefully DX12 will help level the playing field. I can't wait to see DX12 on PC, Xbox one and windows phones.