used motherboards good?

in the future im planning to get an atx motherboard, are using used motherboards to save money a vile option?

also, the motherboard will have an X chipset.

4 minutes ago, oshu091 said:

in the future im planning to get an atx motherboard, are using used motherboards to save money a vile option?

Motherboards and power supplies are the worst components to skimp out on.

Problem I have with used motherboards is that even a quality technician is unlikely to see/test every component on a motherboard properly, so doing proper QA on them in my opinion is difficult.

Unless you're testing every connection to its fullest on a motherboard, its not fully tested. That includes RAM slots, PCIe slots to full bandwidth and 75W power draw, etc.

At least with a new motherboard, there's a 1st party guarantee and warranty if something is defective.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Fine in my experience. Only board I've had issues with is the one UPS tried to bend like a taco. Make sure you're buying one without visible damage, confirmed working, and that looks properly cared for, and you should have no issues barring shipping company shenanigans (which is a risk with any package ever, used or new). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

it's a roll of the dice.

One thing to keep in mind:  Mobos are more likely to die than CPUs or most other components.  If it's a current gen chip, I'd buy the board new personally.

2 hours ago, oshu091 said:

A viable option? ... Yes it can be.

It can be a toss up for quality of the boards getting them off eBay or such. I've found quality Refurbished or New Old Stock (NOS) from Newegg Market Sellers to have boards of better quality.

I've gotten my ASUS x99 Deluxe II through a Newegg Market Seller about 2 years ago now.. Though if you are going X series chipset for Intel, I recommend getting the X299 chipset based motherboards. X99 is getting a little long in the tooth and requires Fuckery to install Windows 11 Pro.

Though I run Windows 11 Pro well on my system with the TPM 2.0 module and Secure Boot enabled. It's a chore to bare metal install each major Feature Update like 22H2...

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

bad motherboards are also one of the biggest pains in the ass to troubleshoot so 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I’ve bought used everything except for SSDs and power supplies since about 2004.

While I’ve had great luck with motherboards, I’ve found that socket damage is becoming more and more common. That’s just anecdotal, but it would be something to keep an eye on.

If your nervous but still want to save a few bucks, find a certified refurbished board that comes with a warranty. They’ll cost close to new,  but I’ve had lots of luck there.

If it's a decent price, and seller is trusted, and has tested if it works, then it's worth it, if it's an old pc and you can save the old pc with a new second hand motherboard that's not made, then it's the only option, unless you change CPU. Depends what you want to do and what you need, and what your options are. i rebuilt my old pc with a second hand motherboard. It was a slight upgrade. But old motherboard was bent, fan header was dead, also USB devices randomly disconnected. pc became super slow randomly. those are signs the mother board is dying.

Upgraded the ram to 16gb, as ddr3 was cheap and the ram worked well.

CPU was fast enough for most tasks so kept it, I guess I could have went for motherboard and CPU upgrade, but did the simple thing. Cooling was bad, so got a Noctua NH-U12S cooler. But upgrading everything would mean a new pc, so that would cost more. If the pc is really old, it might be worth buying a new pc. If the motherboard is broken swap that. but keep in mind if motherboard is dying, and you have an SSD too the SSD might be dying too.

The old pc has been rebuilt quite cheaply, and additional costs were upgrades I would have had in any pc anyway.

8 hours ago, Echothedolpin said:

I’ve bought used everything except for SSDs and power supplies since about 2004.

While I’ve had great luck with motherboards, I’ve found that socket damage is becoming more and more common. That’s just anecdotal, but it would be something to keep an eye on.

If your nervous but still want to save a few bucks, find a certified refurbished board that comes with a warranty. They’ll cost close to new,  but I’ve had lots of luck there.

I suspect socket damage would be more of a thing for Intel boards, since AMD sockets are just a bunch of holes. Am I right on this?

I don't think I'd trust a used Intel board for that reason. Maybe an AMD board, but even then there's so much to go wrong with a motherboard.