Transparent aluminum

Sarra

When will this be commercially available? I'd love to be able to hold and use this for some projects, but it doesn't seem like it's ever coming to public markets? What gives?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

It’s ludicrously expensive and unless they come up with cheaper ways to manufacture it, it won’t really be seen much of anywhere, definitely not a consumer level for a while.

Its primary use case right now is to replace other materials used for blast proof viewing ports, bulletproof glass. But it’s more expensive by a decent bit than current solutions, while its major advantage mostly being lower weight than other materials.

So you might see it in aircraft first, potentially military helicopters, where the weight savings will be beneficial.

27 minutes ago, 8tg said:

It’s ludicrously expensive and unless they come up with cheaper ways to manufacture it, it won’t really be seen much of anywhere, definitely not a consumer level for a while.

Its primary use case right now is to replace other materials used for blast proof viewing ports, bulletproof glass. But it’s more expensive by a decent bit than current solutions, while its major advantage mostly being lower weight than other materials.

So you might see it in aircraft first, potentially military helicopters, where the weight savings will be beneficial.

I'm just curious as to how expensive it is. $1000/sq inch?

I'd love to get safety glasses made of this. Light, scratch resistant, and impact rated.

I also would really like to know the optical properties of it. Can corrective lenses be made of it, what's the diffractive index, etc.

45 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I'd love to get safety glasses made of this. Light, scratch resistant, and impact rated.

I also would really like to know the optical properties of it. Can corrective lenses be made of it, what's the diffractive index, etc.

why asks here if you can send an email to a manufacturer 🙂 

just ask for a data/spec sheet. i'd think chances are pretty high they will send you what you want to know

23 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

why asks here if you can send an email to a manufacturer 🙂 

just ask for a data/spec sheet. i'd think chances are pretty high they will send you what you want to know

Well, that's a good idea. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

I've seen a few sites claim that it costs around $10 - $15 per square inch, but I don't know where they got the numbers from.

https://reefbuilders.com/2019/05/02/transparent-aluminum/

https://www.riotglass.com/transparent-aluminum-vs-armorplast-transparent-steel/

https://studentsxstudents.com/aluminum-oxynitride-the-key-to-creating-transparent-aluminum-4e4233e375f5?gi=5065cee61b10

I saw that as well, but without pricing from a manufacturer, I didn't take it to be factual.

22 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I saw that as well, but without pricing from a manufacturer, I didn't take it to be factual.

After some digging, the earliest mention of that price range, that I've found, was from an article published back in 2005. Even then, it was from a quote.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/133073/air-force-testing-new-transparent-armor/

My guess is that every article/site since then has just been repeating this price range.

I think the product that was talked about in the article above is from a company called Surmet.

Just now, lewdicrous said:

After some digging, the earliest mention of that price range, that I've found, was from an article published back in 2005. Even then, it was from a quote.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/133073/air-force-testing-new-transparent-armor/

My guess is that every article/site since then has just been copying this price range.

I think the product that was talked about in the article above is from a company called Surmet.

Oh, well, you're doing better than I have, though I'm stuck at work right now anyway.

Thanks, I think I'll contact the company that makes Alon and ask some questions.

“Hello computer”

-Scotty

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

“Hello computer”

-Scotty

😸 I was waiting for something like this.

Wait........ This is an actual real thing? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, gudvinr said:

It is transparent aluminium at the same sense as water can be called liquid hydrogen.

Aluminium being part of it doesn't make compound itself aluminium.

It's technically considered transparent ceramic.

The purpose of this is to have a material that is as clear as glass, while having it have more of the properties of a metal. It's incredibly tough, and aside from that, it's extremely resistant to scratching, while being extremely lightweight. It's absolutely perfect, theoretically, for safety glasses. Wear them while working, and after a month, they aren't going to be scratched up to the point that you need to replace them.

On 7/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, Sarra said:

It's technically considered transparent ceramic.

The purpose of this is to have a material that is as clear as glass, while having it have more of the properties of a metal. It's incredibly tough, and aside from that, it's extremely resistant to scratching, while being extremely lightweight. It's absolutely perfect, theoretically, for safety glasses. Wear them while working, and after a month, they aren't going to be scratched up to the point that you need to replace them.

Does it bend like aluminium or does it shatter? If it shatters it would be quite problematic for safety glasses. Safety glasses aren't made of glass, they are made from plastic.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

Does it bend like aluminium or does it shatter? If it shatters it would be quite problematic for safety glasses. Safety glasses aren't made of glass, they are made from plastic.

I don't know. I would have to see test data... I think it bends when it yields, but... I'm not sure.