LTT store items so expensive??

PcBeExpensive
46 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

It's expensive for two reasons:

1.) It's not designed to be affordable, Linus himself has said that it's designed to be a "buy it once and never again" type purchase. Many people will buy probably at least several different backpacks/bags in their lifetime or so just due to the nature of cheap bags, but their whole pitch with the backpack is it's meant to last for a very, VERY long time. It's why it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. It may be expensive for you specifically, but if you commute a bunch or are a university/school student (or both) then having a backpack that just works and will continue to work may be worth it to many. Also theoretically it could save you money since, as stated earlier, instead of buying a dozen backpacks which will fall apart in a year, spending the price of 7 backpacks for one that will last "forever" could save you money in the long run, though obviously that's kinda speculative.

2.) They're priced in such a way that they will make profit, they're not just a YouTube channel, they're a company with over 100 employees which have expensive salaries and benefits which need paying for, not to mention the new LTT Labs which is in production which is costing LMG an absolute bucket load of money to make, and that's all not including insurance, rent for buildings, paying for Support Staff for LTTstore.com (yes, the people you talk to when you have an issue need to be paid) among loads of other unseen things.

There's also the reasoning that people just like LTT's content and would give them money anyways through donations or whatever so getting a sick backpack out of it is a win-win situation for both parties. If you're happy with your cheap bag that's great for you, but I'm betting it'll fall apart in a few years and you will have to spend more money to get another bag, continuing the cycle lol.

Its been like 2 years and nothing has happened, no signs of damage everywhere. Also im sure they are making alot of profit from the bag. There ripping people off big time.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

6 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Yeah the screwdriver is worth it, thats a pretty nice screwdriver but i dont uunderstand why people want to buy a $250 bag!?!? To me thats just crazy, it may also be because im 14 and have like no money.

As someone who purchased one combination of needed a new  backpack, use a lot of tech stuff which that design seemed to be helped by and warranty by a Canadian company were all factors for me.

Additionally some extra features like luggage straps and having proper padding on the bottom were all factors in making the choice to go for it. I had considered other backpacks around that price range since I wanted a buy it for life experience, but little stuff like the airtag holder and Canadian company meant that I felt most comfortable going with the LTT Backpack over Peak Design or Bellroy's similarly priced items.

3 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Yeah I have compared the two.

Are you ever going to tell us which $20 bag you keep comparing it against...?

On 6/26/2023 at 4:51 AM, PcBeExpensive said:

stuff like leather and stuff, this ltt backpack isnt like amazing using expensive materials and stuff like that.

If you think leather is what makes a bag expensive, that kinda gives away that you really aren't qualified to judge the prices of these things

:)

37 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Are you ever going to tell us which $20 bag you keep comparing it against...?

If you think leather is what makes a bag expensive, that kinda gives away that you really aren't qualified to judge the prices of these things

I have no idea whhat bag it is, its a nike bag i picked up at the nike outlet store. Also I don't think leather makes bags expensive? I'm just saying leather is an expensive material, is it not?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

You clearly just don't understand the difference between a well made, well thought out product vs a cheap product or a product with perceived quality. There is no point anyone trying to explain to you because you clearly don't want to understand. You have made up your mind and that's that.

The car analogy is a good one and it further proves you refuse to listen to others. If you think a BMW or a Mercedes is a much nicer car than a Ford, Honda, Mazda, Peugeot etc then you're easily fooled. Mercedes charge a premium for the brand but get inside the car and you'll find cheap plastics, awful touch controls, storage compartments that clearly had 0 thought put into them, small boots and atrocious engines, especially the diesels. BMW are better but still charge a premium over other brands for no extra value. For example the Mazda3 wipes the floor with the 1 Series but guess which is more expensive.

I don't have the LTT bag because I can't justify the price (plus shipping it to the UK) vs the benefit I'd personally get from it. However if I started travelling more and needed a bag it'd be the first one I chose? Could I get a better one for less? Potentially, but there is no guarantee. I trust LTT, they've proven time and time again they are dedicated to doing things correctly and providing quality products. They have extensively demonstrated the bag to the point where I am confident it is a quality product. I could take the plunge and order a cheaper one but the straps might not be comfortable, the zips might leak, the compartments inside might not be how I need them. LTT have spent the money marketing the bag so let the target audience know exactly what the bag is like and that all contributes to the price (making videos isn't free).

1 hour ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

You clearly just don't understand the difference between a well made, well thought out product vs a cheap product or a product with perceived quality. There is no point anyone trying to explain to you because you clearly don't want to understand. You have made up your mind and that's that.

The car analogy is a good one and it further proves you refuse to listen to others. If you think a BMW or a Mercedes is a much nicer car than a Ford, Honda, Mazda, Peugeot etc then you're easily fooled. Mercedes charge a premium for the brand but get inside the car and you'll find cheap plastics, awful touch controls, storage compartments that clearly had 0 thought put into them, small boots and atrocious engines, especially the diesels. BMW are better but still charge a premium over other brands for no extra value. For example the Mazda3 wipes the floor with the 1 Series but guess which is more expensive.

I don't have the LTT bag because I can't justify the price (plus shipping it to the UK) vs the benefit I'd personally get from it. However if I started travelling more and needed a bag it'd be the first one I chose? Could I get a better one for less? Potentially, but there is no guarantee. I trust LTT, they've proven time and time again they are dedicated to doing things correctly and providing quality products. They have extensively demonstrated the bag to the point where I am confident it is a quality product. I could take the plunge and order a cheaper one but the straps might not be comfortable, the zips might leak, the compartments inside might not be how I need them. LTT have spent the money marketing the bag so let the target audience know exactly what the bag is like and that all contributes to the price (making videos isn't free).

Im also here saying that cheaper backpacks has done everything the LTT bag has done. I'm saying there are cheaper backpacks WITH THE SAME features. 

My First PC

14 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Yeah the screwdriver is worth it, thats a pretty nice screwdriver but i dont uunderstand why people want to buy a $250 bag!?!? To me thats just crazy, it may also be because im 14 and have like no money.

because there are people who want to support LTT, and buying their merch is the best way to do it.

And also, because LTT has demonstrated over time that the merch they release is *good* and generally (mostly) worth the premiums they charge for the quality of materials.

13 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

There ripping people off big time.

Do you have any evidence to support that? I'm just curious.

To be honest, I've read the comments and people have offered very substantial arguments, in regards to the LTT backpack, it's quality and why it costs $250 by comparison to other backpacks, etc. My take in all this, is that the OP desperately wants a LTT backpack. Not being able to afford it, proceeds to stating incorrect information in regards to a product he never (thoroughly) used and baseless accusations about LTT store's policies and practices regarding how they sell their stuff and their customer care.

2 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Im also here saying that cheaper backpacks has done everything the LTT bag has done. I'm saying there are cheaper backpacks WITH THE SAME features. 

Having the same features don't mean they're directly comparable. An Omega Seamaster has effectively the same features as a Timex Diver, but they're priced differently for a reason. I can spec a Camry with nearly the same features as a 5-series, yet they're also priced differently.  I own a set of copper core All-Clad cookware despite the fact you can pick up a set of cheap Lagostina pots and pans for half the cost, even though they technically both have the same features for cooking. The quality materials used in the build play a big part in how things are priced.

You can say an Osprey or Arc'teryx backpack shouldn't cost as much as they do, yet they're purpose built with materials that reflect their intended use case. Same goes for the LTT bag. It may seem subjectively overpriced to you, but as someone who uses expensive high end backpacks for various purposes, it's about correctly priced. And when you take low production runs into the equation, it makes even more sense. 

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

3 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

There are cheaper cars with the same features.  But people still like the more expensive ones.

Gona chime in here given i have owned several decent quality backpacks over the years (LL.Bean, Columbia Sportswear, Kelty, Eddie Bauer, Jansport)

First off, Quality is everything when it comes to a good bag. I have been using the same Colombia Sportswear bag for the past 10 years, the fact that I can throw 3 laptops in it, carry it comfortably on my back and then the next day, empty it and use it as a carry on bag and fly overseas for vacation is everything.  The fact that it has lasted 10 years of daily use and I am only now thinking about replacing it due to the fact that the LTT Bag has some additional creature comforts should be a testimate to the fact that quality is everything.  Yes, I spent about 150 on this bag brand new.  Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.  Your average backpack you give your child you typically expect to last about a year.

Doing some basic math, 150/10=15.  This same bag has cost me 15$ a year.  Your average backpack like the type your claiming to have spent money on where you will probably end up needing to replace it every so often has probably cost less than your average backpack.  And to people saying your an adult, you probably treat the bag nice.  Nope, I don't, this bag has gone flying off the trunk of my car twice, been stuffed into overhead bins on airplanes, left outside in drenching rain, crammed under airplane seats, and dragged accross dirt and gravel. And that was in its first year of ownership.

Second is comfort.  Having a bag that when its fully on your back doesn't feel like it's digging into your shoulders or trying to decapitate you is everything when you use it day in and day out.  Having something where it is designed in such a way you can carry everything you need and not feel stress and still be able to carry on with life is amazing.

Third is more specific to the ltt bag.  That is who it was designed for.  The LTT Bag may not be designed for you, It was designed by a techie, for techies. As someone who is a techie and is constantly digging to the bottom of my bag and emptying it to find that one missing flash drive, having something that is purpose built to visible like that is worth the extra 20-30$ in added materials.  Having something that will fit my laptop, my work laptop, a change of clothes, my meds, some basic tools, and additional peripherals that i need for my daily life is amazing. Having something that is able to have that all organized and able to be found at a moment's notice, priceless.  Sometimes having the right tool for the job makes all the difference.

Going back to that, would this be the right backpack for my outdoorsman brother who is carrying buckets of water and dirt back and forth all day, no. And he doesn't have this bag for that reason, he was given a bag designed to do that task (yes, a backpack you can carry a 5 gallon bucket in exists, no i don't remember the name of it).

The point of the ltt bag was to design a quality item for a niche crowd that often gets ignored by the companies who make quality backpacks.  And that's exactly what it does.

15 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

what im saying wwith that thing tho is that a bmw has better quality, better engine, more features. My $20 has everything the LTT bag has.

Post a link to a $20 backpack with the same features and quality as the LTT bag. 

On 6/26/2023 at 12:47 PM, Lomac said:

Small production runs (especially if you compare them to someone like Jansport who builds hundreds of thousands of shitty backpacks every year,) higher quality materials, more complicated builds (stronger sewing designs and pockets within pockets,) and the like all attribute to a higher final cost. I have no doubt they're making a healthy profit on each one but they're definitely more expensive to build and ship here then you likely realize.

As for who buys them... Well, I'm one and it's the second cheapest backpack I own. I'm someone who follows the buy once, cry once matra. I prefer to buy stuff that will last and (so far, at least) LTT's products seem to fall under that ideology.

Yes, there are cheaper products out there that will do the job but most of the cheaper options will likely fail at critical build points long before a higher quality one will.

I know this isn't directly related to the backpack but have you used the watter bottles LTT has, I'm considering it as my old swell water bottle isn't in great shape, and some of the other BIFL water bottles that I've heard about while recommended for machine washing are more expensive.

5 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

There are cheaper cars with the same features.  But people still like the more expensive ones.

Please tell me what car thats cheaper than a BMW has the exact same features and quality.

My First PC

5 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Post a link to a $20 backpack with the same features and quality as the LTT bag. 

Like I said above I have no idea what bag it is, its a Nike bag I picked up from the Nike outlet store.

My First PC

2 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Please tell me what car thats cheaper than a BMW has the exact same features and quality.

Pick a BMW, I can pick a car.  Honestly, my Lexus I feel is better quality than BMW simply because it will out last the bmw.

4 minutes ago, GeoStellar said:

Pick a BMW, I can pick a car.  Honestly, my Lexus I feel is better quality than BMW simply because it will out last the bmw.

How can you prove the Lexus will out last the BMW? Thats based on a number of variables.

My First PC

Just now, PcBeExpensive said:

How can you prove the Lexus will out last the BMW? Thats based on a number of variables.

We have a thing out in the world called statistics and facts as well as manufacturer trends.

To start with, keep in mind who the parent company of lexus is, Toyota. What is toyota known for? Bullet proof reliability. What is bmw known for? Expensive maintenance bills.  On average, the lexus will outlast the bmw.

50 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

I know this isn't directly related to the backpack but have you used the watter bottles LTT has, I'm considering it as my old swell water bottle isn't in great shape, and some of the other BIFL water bottles that I've heard about while recommended for machine washing are more expensive.

No experience with the LTT water bottle, unfortunately. Most of my bottles are from Yeti.  My partner has some Takeya bottles and she swears by then. That said, even if a water bottle is rated for dishwasher use, I'd still clean them by hand. If nothing else, it helps preserve the colouring on the bottle's exterior.

55 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

I've got 2, they are fantastic and worth the price.  They do everything it says on the box.  I have machine washed it before, but its really not that hard to wash, bit of dish soap bit of hot water, shake it up, bobs your uncle its washed.

10 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Toyota has a reputation for reliability for a reason.

As someone who reviews press cars for a publication as a side gig, BMW is a car you buy when you want to enjoy driving. A Toyota/Lexus is what you buy when you want to reliably get to work. There's a reason why out of warranty BMWs, Mercedes, and Audi's tend to sell for cheap.

27 minutes ago, GeoStellar said:

We have a thing out in the world called statistics and facts as well as manufacturer trends.

To start with, keep in mind who the parent company of lexus is, Toyota. What is toyota known for? Bullet proof reliability. What is bmw known for? Expensive maintenance bills.  On average, the lexus will outlast the bmw.

Yeah but there are multiple variables that can affect this?? Also just because a brand is known for something doesnt meant it will always do that?

My First PC

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

BMW is a brand of cars with many different products with different features and quality. 

But a BMW sedan and a Honda or Toyota sedan does the same thing of getting people from A to B.

If you think it's possible for the BMWs to be more expensive yet also superior quality to Hondas, then how do you think it's impossible for backpacks to have similar spectrum of quality and features and therefore value?

If a bag is a bag, a car is a car.

57 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Yeah but there are multiple variables that can affect this?? Also just because a brand is known for something doesnt meant it will always do that?

What are the variables that differentiate a cheap car from a good one?

Materials, design... anything else?

What are the variables that differentiate a cheap backpack from a good one?

Materials, design... anything else?

|