Claims that SSD is “vastly better” for gaming? Since when?

Montyjnc

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starfield-system-requirements-doing-pc-a-favor/?amp

Of course file transfers/boot times etc are much better on an SSD, but since when did a HDD significantly impact IN GAME performance? This article claims it causes frame drops and such? Did I miss some enormous change? My steam hdd works great…

2 minutes ago, Montyjnc said:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starfield-system-requirements-doing-pc-a-favor/?amp

Of course file transfers/boot times etc are much better on an SSD, but since when did a HDD significantly impact IN GAME performance? This article claims it causes frame drops and such? Did I miss some enormous change? My steam hdd works great…

It does. Loading times, frame drops, etc. Especially with direct storage coming out, why in the HECK would you use an HDD for games in 2023? HDD is for long term file storage only

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Older or more basic games that preload data might not be impacted outside of loading times, but dynamic content loading is more modern titles is going to to suffer. I'd even go a step further, and would like to see latest games even depreciate SATA SSDs. Optimisations to make games usable on slower drives usually mean it can't get benefit from faster ones. I feel this is one of the easier areas to improve PC gaming experience.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, Montyjnc said:

Some creative games, especially open world, can create massive savegame files. And I just HATE to wait for a save to complete. Didn't do benchmarking, but I feel like an SSD is an improvement here too.

10 minutes ago, Montyjnc said:

Even having an HDD plugged into a gaming PC can result in noticeable input latency since the drive is still negotiating with the CPU with interrupt signals/requests.

I've seen a couple scenarios where a secondary HDD is the singular source of input latency in someone's gaming PC, but those were likely failing drives taking the CPU hostage. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

Even having an HDD plugged into a gaming PC can result in noticeable input latency since the drive is still negotiating with the CPU with interrupt signals/requests.

Yeah I avoid having and HDD all together. I have two 1tb Firecuda 530s with virtually endless durability ratings. If I need more storage I'll just get a NAS

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

3 hours ago, Montyjnc said:

SSDs drastically reduce stuttering due to loading new areas and assets in games which could be considered to be frame drops as the GPU and CPU have nothing to render for a brief moment. The difference is night and day. I have all my games on a 2TB M.2 PCIE 4.0 x 4 drive. 

12 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

As other people said, for some titles that can load all assets to ram and Vram ahead of time its not going to really make much of a difference in game.

Games that constantly cull the render AND purge assets from memory when its culled will then need to hit the drive again to reload the asset when you get your cone of vision close to it again. The best example I can actually think of this is Skyrim On PS3 ( and PC to a later extent) Because its draw cells are so limited (iirc is 5 or 7 cells) you get massive frame drops in some locations, especially if you are moving diagonally relative to the draw cells and have to load multiple cells of assets at once. That took a game that ran at 30fps and cratered it to 15-20 when it was reading from disk. Replacing the system drive with an SSD greatly improved the performance ( though it was still hampered by the sata bus in the ps3)

Open world games are usually more afflicted with this sort of asset management than more linear "level" based titles.

I just don't get why anyone would have an HDD drive for games with how dirt cheap SSD's have become. There was a "refurb" (Probably brand new actually just returned) 2tb Samsung 980 pro for like $99 or something the other day on sale... There is literally zero reason to use an HDD anymore besides long term storage for important digital files or for like a NAS.

1 minute ago, TeraSeraph said:

I have all my games on a 2TB M.2 PCIE 4.0 x 4 drive. 

"This is the way".

I have two 1tb Firecuda 530s. I am going to add a 2tb SSD to round out my storage to 4gb proabbaly around Black Friday if they keep plummeting in price.

57 minutes ago, Montyjnc said:

Did I miss some enormous change? My steam hdd works great…

Yes you did and I'm sure it doesn't work as well as you think it does compared to modern options.

since several years ago.  Sorry you missed the bus.

For anything other than bulk storage, SSDs are absolutely the way to go today and have been for a while.  (Such as my PC with 6TB of SSDs.)

In 2023, are we still discussing benefits of SSD for drives that get used often? Or did we accidentally open a thread that started in 2016?

Not talking about those 12TB long term storage drives where HDD still may make sense. But for anything 4TB or smaller, this shouldn't even be discussed anymore. Like no one discusses the use of fax devices anymore.

Especially since this is about gaming rigs with expensive hardware, saving on an SSD seems most silly. Especially since many good 2TB m.2 cost not more than equal sized HDD. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

How’s the weather under the rock? /s

If you care about speed, even a little bit, then SSDs are the way to go, as everyone else has mentioned.

1 hour ago, Montyjnc said:

My steam hdd works great…

You’re used to HDD performance. You’ll feel the difference once you move to an SSD. 
You can also watch comparison videos on YouTube if you want to see just how storage impacts in-game performance. 

1 hour ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

It does. Loading times, frame drops, etc. Especially with direct storage coming out, why in the HECK would you use an HDD for games in 2023? HDD is for long term file storage only

I still use an HDD for a lot of my games. I don't play many AAA titles anyway, so most of the games I play don't really need a super-fast SSD for loading times.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

1 hour ago, micha_vulpes said:

I still have games on platters, but I am not really a heavy gamer or they are so old and the asset sizes so small it makes no real difference. Cost per GB I'm pretty sure you still get a lot more storage per dollar once you move away from the 1tb drives. +A  lot of people keep bringing their old drives forward so they may as well utilize the space if they have it and the limitations dont bother them

Only viable reason in 2023 to have any data on an HDD is for ease of data recovery while having better failure indications (in my opinion). HDDs generally have a slower death than SSDs, so detecting failure is generally easier. Anything after that should be on tapes and anything before that on SSDs though.

Cost/GB on SSDs is so low in 2023 that its really no longer a justification. There's also arguments for power draw and size+weight constraints with HDDs compared to SATA or NVMe M.2 SSDs when we're talking <10TB of total capacity. Past that, there's an argument for HDDs to get proper RAID5/6 redundancy while having >10TB.

I still buy HDDs in 2023 but its for servers/NAS/backups, but those are also done on tapes. Anything else mass storage, its just better to run SSDs, whether SATA 2.5" or M.2.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Since the time I no longer need to stare more than a second on loading screen 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I don't even use HDDs with Windows XP anymore.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

How’s the weather under the rock? /s

If you care about speed, even a little bit, then SSDs are the way to go, as everyone else has mentioned.

You’re used to HDD performance. You’ll feel the difference once you move to an SSD. 
You can also watch comparison videos on YouTube if you want to see just how storage impacts in-game performance. 

I was mostly ambivalent on getting an SSD because of the price per GB, but back in 2014 I had a hard drive fail and decided to take the plunge. I’ve never looked back, because the performance difference is so massive.

i couldn’t imagine running a newer open-world game like Cyberpunk off a spinning hard drive, it would be horrific.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Don't wanna wait a few minutes to load into my game, I'd much rather have it load under a minute. Simple as.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

Yes new games taking advantage of faster storage as baseline. Just need it to be standard for DirectStorage too in time.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 6/22/2023 at 9:56 AM, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

Because...

• I relocated from a fiber backed ISP to DSL at 7mbps and 5G mobile home internet both with data caps
  • I already loaded up 2TB worth of SSDs with mostly games I might want to play
  • A spare HDD is all I have left, and I can move stuff to SSDs as I play then uninstall the games on SSDs
  • Some games can be played off HDD if they're small enough (<few gigs)
  • Any extra money I could spend on an SSD needs to be spent on fixing up my home
  • Some cheap SSDs have crap sustained read/write speeds that fall into HDD levels of performance. See: PCPP SSD benchmarks

Just some personal perspective.

Yes, otherwise it is correct that HDD can affect in-game performance depending on whether the game consistently read/writes to storage. The last & most egregious use of this I had with an HDD + game before I went full SSD was Subnautica. It could have also been the dumpsterfire implementation pushing Unity too far, but the point is the game tracked every single object in game and saving could be done anytime anywhere, hence constant drive / random usage.