Checking on my Investment in Person

AlexTheGreatish

it is very inefficient to do the Diy that way rather than testing the board, screen, etc alone and sending to customers. And I would personally buy a cosmetically flawed version if they make it available. Why They are still not available in india. 

13 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

it is very inefficient to do the Diy that way rather than testing the board, screen, etc alone and sending to customers. And I would personally buy a cosmetically flawed version if they make it available. Why They are still not available in india. 

Countries like to fuck over each other in terms of products, taxes, import taxes and all that fun stuff. India is one of the countries that most companies will avoid due to their shitty nature in terms of taxes. They pretty much require you to make a business in india if you want any sort of profit, otherwise its simply not worth bothering.

I always love these videos and getting to see what the inside of manufacturing looks like.

@lyeuhm everywhere

"doing something like a fail-book, where there is like little scratches and you get a discount."
Here I would say that framework's reply that taking pictures, setting prices and such takes labor and effort. Yes it does, but that is the wrong approach.

A "defected" product can be its own product.

One doesn't have to be specific that "the scratch is over here on this exact unit." Just that it has a scratch somewhere "acceptable". One can make a few stock images (used for all such units) of what this can entail, but beyond that it is just product binning.

A great example of other companies doing this exact thing is chip vendors like Intel, AMD, nVidia, etc. A lot of CPUs, GPUs and such are just higher end chips that didn't pass QC for what they were supposed to be, so the broken parts get disabled, usually along with a few working bits too such that it actually fits the lower tier product that it now will be. Non of these vendors handles these defected products individually, they don't get individual listings, prices and explanations of what is wrong with them and where. (other than logs from QC tests associated to the serial number of the unit of course... But this is true for all units, defective or not.)

There is logically no reason for why framework couldn't do the same. Ie, one can either buy X product, or X scratched product for a nominal discount when available.

(If the scratched product becomes popular enough, one can do like the chip vendors and intentionally break working products for the heck of it.)

However, if one has few enough scratched up or otherwise defective units, they can instead just be kept internal to the company itself. Employees often needs a computer at work after all.

Just now, Nystemy said:

Non of these vendors handles these defected products individually, they don't get individual listings, prices and explanations of what is wrong with them and where.

What they do is automated and gets into its own product with known characteristics, whatever happend on the backend has zero impact for the customer. 

Your approach would lead do an unknown quantity. You'll get people ordering one that has "minor scratches in a random place" and get angry when the scratch happens to be in a place they particularly cared about... 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

What they do is automated and gets into its own product with known characteristics, whatever happend on the backend has zero impact for the customer. 

Your approach would lead do an unknown quantity. You'll get people ordering one that has "minor scratches in a random place" and get angry when the scratch happens to be in a place they particularly cared about... 

It logically wouldn't be a particularly interesting discount, more a token gesture for helping to reduce needless E-waste, for those who are willing to accept some superficial scratches.

If one don't want the unit to have such superficial scratches in certain places, then perhaps one shouldn't buy the variant that has scratches on it.

Likewise aren't we talking about serious scratches, dinged up edges and similar more distinct surface imperfections. QC in a factory would regard these as a problem with the manufacturing line, not just the individual product. (In these cases one has to ask, "Where did that even come from." Since then some work surface is flawed, or an employee dropped it for some reason.)

53 minutes ago, Lacrimalis said:
What backpack is Linus wearing in the beginning? @AlexTheGreatish

In the Nintendo 64 video they just did, Linus held up what looked likes that backpack and calls it their LTT one, maybe its a prototype "leather" one?

Yep the leather backpack has been shown on WAN show a few times

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 6/17/2023 at 11:48 AM, Lacrimalis said:
What backpack is Linus wearing in the beginning? @AlexTheGreatish

On 6/17/2023 at 12:42 PM, carter85 said:

In the Nintendo 64 video they just did, Linus held up what looked likes that backpack and calls it their LTT one, maybe its a prototype "leather" one?

As Kilrah said in this thread, it's the prototype for the apple leather LTT backpack that Linus has been torture testing.

7 hours ago, LMGcommunity said:

apple leather

10,000 high tech materials to choose from,

Spectra & Dyneema , Kevlar, Gore Tex: to name just a few.

And the go to is a pleather made from apple skins...

Yeah, people made fabrics out of natural materials for thousands of years.

Wool, hemp, cotton, linen.

I used my Dad's old Boy Scout bag for a bookbag in the 70's

I also carried a carboard/ leather suitcase sample bag/file case when I started traveling in the 80s on business.

ALL of those materials were heavy, prone to wear, and prone to  failure from overload.

Given the miracle of modern high strength, low weight, high abrasion resistant materials ....I have no intention of going back.

I'm sure this new organic pleather has the feel of leather without the pangs of animal husbandry guilt.

I guarantee that it will not have the weight benefits, strength, or durability of of alternate "real engineered materials".

Hey, you know woven wood baskets had real utility in their time.

Did you investigate that option??

Interesting how DIY is less expensive to purchase yet involves more net labor before shipping. Is that process going to remain? Looking forward to an AMD with touchscreen.

On 6/18/2023 at 9:34 AM, raf42 said:

I didn't get one but I *did* send you a picture. I'll take my prize now 😛

Screenshot_20230618-022722.jpg

I created an account just to say how silly you are

14 hours ago, Ammar5 said:

I created an account just to say how silly you are

i just logged in first time after creating, just to say this..  but still

On 6/18/2023 at 12:04 PM, raf42 said:

I didn't get one but I *did* send you a picture. I'll take my prize now 😛

Screenshot_20230618-022722.jpg

Screenshot skills unlocked! You've captured the holy grail of proof for the sought-after free LTT screwdriver. 

• 3 weeks later...

FIRST!!!

So excited to get the laptop.... but I also got an ANSI Clear, typing is fine, random passwords are a bit tougher... and the top row is impossible. Screen brightness? Volume?

Anyways, now what? 

PXL_20230711_035856616_2.jpg

Edited by aeroeight
scrubbing QR code + serial numbers from the antenna module below.

Received my laptop today, rushed home from work to build it and found this! I'm like 99% sure mine is the first laptop you can see Linus and Nirav sign in the video - that's so crazy, what are the odds?! 🤯

20230717_175059.JPG

2 hours ago, MadDirtMonkey said:

Received my laptop today, rushed home from work to build it and found this! I'm like 99% sure mine is the first laptop you can see Linus and Nirav sign in the video - that's so crazy, what are the odds?! 🤯

20230717_175059.JPG

For the signed ones .. 1 in 5.hahah congrats!

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 11:46 PM, aeroeight said:

FIRST!!!

So excited to get the laptop.... but I also got an ANSI Clear, typing is fine, random passwords are a bit tougher... and the top row is impossible. Screen brightness? Volume?

Anyways, now what? 

PXL_20230711_035856616_2.jpg

@LMGcommunity following up.