Help choose a B650 motherboard for a 7800x3D

18 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

These days, yes.  The 60 series is supposed to be for the budget minded, no?  The 1060 was, the 1660 was, the 3060 was supposed to be, and the 4060 should be.

When you have the 4070, 4080, and the 4090... haven't you covered the mid and upper tier?

Price doesn't make something budget or not, always.

xx60 series has always been considered the entry level to true gaming cards, things like the xx50/xx50ti are the high end of budget. The RTX 4060ti falls into a strange category because the actual silicon they use is an equivalent bin to something like the RTX 3050ti.

If you look at every card's RTX 3000 series die+bin equivalent to the RTX 4000 series, every card excluding the RTX 4090 (which is closer to the RTX 3080ti than to the 3090) is 2x the price of its Ampere counterpart. The RTX 4060ti just being the worst offender since its a budget tier silicon compared to the rest. RTX 4070 just being a weird middle ground between the RTX 3060 and 3060ti in terms of silicon quality.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

On 6/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, MaverickPT said:

Cool! Let us know your findings if you don't mind! 

So after spending a couple of days educating myself on how PBO and Ryzen overclocking works, then finding out my Asus B650 has a special sauce mode that allows you to overclock this puppy to 5.4Ghz, I did eventually play around with it.

To my disappointment and amazement, overclocking didn't produce any meaningful results. This chip is already an efficiency champion. In CPU-heavy games like BF2042 with 128 players on tight maps, this thing sips 55-60W while boosting itself accordingly up to 5Ghz. Compared to my 9900k that chugged over 200W at 5Ghz, this looks like magic.

I could play around more and try doing something naughty to it, but I decided not to. The performance is there and I can't ask any more from it. As for the stability, well it works.  Playing games at 4k 120FPS on max settings while having Edge open with multiple tabs in the background for youtube music, talking in Discord, and recording everything using AMD ReLive with settings cranked. With all that my system quietly cruising along with GPU staying at 70c and CPU 55c and RAM usage +/- 15GB

I also use RAM as a buffer memory for AMD ReLive so that I can save the last X amount of seconds/minutes of my gameplay instead of constantly recording or ruining my NAND SSD by re-writing buffered footage

So from whatever I did with this setup, currently it is working flawlessly.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

On 6/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, MaverickPT said:

Cool! Let us know your findings if you don't mind! 

So after spending a couple of days educating myself on how PBO and Ryzen overclocking works, then finding out my Asus B650 has a special sauce mode that allows you to overclock this puppy to 5.4Ghz, I did eventually play around with it.

To my disappointment and amazement, overclocking didn't produce any meaningful results. This chip is already an efficiency champion. In CPU-heavy games like BF2042 with 128 players on tight maps, this thing sips 55-60W while boosting itself accordingly up to 5Ghz. Compared to my 9900k that chugged over 200W at 5Ghz, this looks like magic.

I could play around more and try doing something naughty to it, but I decided not to. The performance is there and I can't ask any more from it. As for the stability, well it works.  Playing games at 4k 120FPS on max settings while having Edge open with multiple tabs in the background for youtube music, talking in Discord, and recording everything using AMD ReLive with settings cranked. With all that my system quietly cruising along with GPU staying at 70c and CPU 55c and RAM usage +/- 15GB

I also use RAM as a buffer memory for AMD ReLive so that I can save the last X amount of seconds/minutes of my gameplay instead of constantly recording or ruining my NAND SSD by re-writing buffered footage

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

On 6/20/2023 at 1:37 PM, PopsicleHustler said:

Cool! Good to know! 

If I recall corretly, as long as the 7800x3D has a good pair of RAM sticks to go with it, that's pretty much it. Maybe undervolting will help here and there but yeah seems like that CPU is already giving it all. Thanks for your effort!