4k TV's, HDMI 2.0, Receivers and PC's

Ace

So the enviable is going to happen... We are all are going to buy 4k televisions whether they are 32 inches or 100+ inches within the near future but what concerns me is when to make that purchase. Just like all technology it becomes obsolete but I can remember the times of when people buying a DVD player was crazy because of the expense of it let alone a new wide screen television whether it was Plasma, LCD or even rear projector. Where nearing that point again just as we did with High Definition TV's where one technology will win just as bluray became the successor over HD-DVD.

Its become apparent to me that being impatient and wanting a UHD TV is going to be my downfall but will waiting for HDMI 2.0 be worth it? With everything pretty much having HDMI connecting it I don't think it will be going away for a while so what I have to decide does the refresh rate/frames per second really matter? 30 Vs 60... I know majority of people can tell the difference between this range of FPS but with single core graphic cards being where they are at the moment and the state of thi "new" generation of consoles will technology develop that quickly? After looking at the forecast for the next Maxwell drives it does not seem so. I believe what we have to think about is that a majority of game developers although making there games resolution available in 4k they are not necessary made for it.

Putting all this aside for the time being another thing that has been getting on my nerves is the new receivers  that have the little 4k pass-through sticker on them. I'm sure it can support a 4k image but at 24Hz and having multiple sources on the one receiver could act as heater (4k content over HDMI 1.4 makes the connectors really hot) especially with the Onkyo I have that sometime will shut off due to overheating.. So if you are buying a receiver for your new UHD TV just wait a little longer until HDMI 2.0 makes it appearance.

So the question still remains I have a PC connected to my Panasonic 50 inch 1080p Plasma thats roughly 4 years old I beilve its time for an upgrade after recenlt playing games on my mates new Samsung LED 50 inch.

The PC I have has an Intel i5-4670 and a GTX 780 on a mATX board. So SLI is out of the option so even if I was gaming at 4k the average would be 22 frames per second so HDMI 1.4 would not matter but then I could wait and buy the next dual core GPU (other then the Titan-Z of course) that would come out from Nvidia. Then put the GTX 780 in my other PC and SLI that. But then again this all involves money... And if I'm buying a 3 grand TV I won't have any money to put into the PC's that always seem to suck money from my wallet. (I understand I can change the resolution to something smaller such as 2k but what's the fun in that =P)

Then comes the question of I already own 2 TV's where would I put the other one? I understand 1080p Plasma's will eventually become just like CRT's and be left on the side of the road for anyone but for now it's still a great TV do I store it? Lend it to family/friends or sell it? With the way I'm with things I would most likey store it til it became worthless then bin it hahaha but what I'm hoping for is that when I buy my own house I can have it connected up to my racing simulator and have it in the corner of a man cave.

So finally UHD TV Now, Next Year (HDMI 2.0) or just be grateful for what I have now? But in saying this... ALL THEM PIXELZ!!!!

Thanks in advance and if there is any grammatical errors sorry but I'm too tired to bother proof read it at this time.

I'm in the same boat, 4K sure is tempting, but I believe it is worth holding out for a few more years until you buy a 4K TV. As far as I know there is no TV/Movie content yet and by the time that finally comes, the displays will be that much better just like with first generation Plasma/LCD vs what is currently in the stores, not to mention prices will drop as well. If you do get one however, I would say sell your 50' Plasma and get some money back or give it to family.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

I have my PC connected to a Samsung 55in LED tv as my main monitor...

I will not upgrade to 4k until HDMI 2.0 is released because 30hz is just a pain to look at.

Sure You can't play games on it too well, but browsing the web and doing work will be much more pleasing when I don't see each pixel...

4k 55in TVs are getting very cheap now, around $2500 from Samsung (not buying the cheap seiki crap) but I want to be sure that I can get 60hz from my graphics card to my TV

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020