cyber security

tdkid
2 minutes ago, da na said:

it is 109, but that is still the least wrong thing you have said here

actually 2 things. no its not and if it was it would be the most wrong thing I said but I am not going into that again. you are right in it being 109 but that is just for the game, you are forgetting all the DLCs and updates that rockstar has done in the almost 10 years the game has been out. 

6 minutes ago, jugster42 said:

Been doing IT Support and Consultancy for 30 years and I would have to google that error. Its not a sign of no knowledge, just its a very large topic!  Its often knowing where to look for an answer rather than knowing of the top of your head! 

🙂 

and that is why i asked the guy. i was kind of figuring that someone in cyber security would know it or ar least be able to help point me in the right direction so I could fix it. and it turns out that particular code is that the storage device the OS was on failed and needed to be replaced. a simple fix

18 minutes ago, tdkid said:

actually 2 things. no its not and if it was it would be the most wrong thing I said but I am not going into that again. you are right in it being 109 but that is just for the game, you are forgetting all the DLCs and updates that rockstar has done in the almost 10 years the game has been out. 

I own the game, fully updated, with the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack DLC and it is 109

16 minutes ago, tdkid said:

and that is why i asked the guy. i was kind of figuring that someone in cyber security would know it or ar least be able to help point me in the right direction so I could fix it. and it turns out that particular code is that the storage device the OS was on failed and needed to be replaced. a simple fix

asking a cyber security professional about a hardware issue is like asking a city planner why your car won't start

9 minutes ago, da na said:

I own the game, fully updated, with the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack DLC and it is 109

so do i and have been playing since day 1. you really think that when the game came out being 80GB that only 40GB of data had been added to the game with all the cars, planes, missions, weapons, customizations and literally everything else that has been added in those 10 years? each one of those things would have to be like 1MB in file size to make that work.

12 minutes ago, da na said:

asking a cyber security professional about a hardware issue is like asking a city planner why your car won't start

well the issue is that i dodnt know it was a hardware issue. i figured the 1 guy i knew i could get a hold of right now who worked with computers would be able to tell me but I guess not. i guessed I should have called my uncles as they also work with computers and probably more skilled than most people here but they are also the only people in the world who do their jobs so getting in contact is a little hard. and no i don't know exactly what they do. i haven't spoken with them directly in over 20 years since my parents moved up 1500 miles away but i know that my one uncle goes all over the world and works on the computers for the oil rigs.

I have studied Cyber Security and Computer systems security for the past 4 years. They taught us little to nothing regarding hardware. Most of the things I know are self taught or from watching tutorials.

2 minutes ago, Prophet_of_death said:

I have studied Cyber Security and Computer systems security for the past 4 years. They taught us little to nothing regarding hardware. Most of the things I know are self taught or from watching tutorials.

i have not but i am pretty sure that in college one of the very first questions a professor is going to ask is "ok, who knows what a computer is" and all hands go up and that off chance that 1 person doesn't raise their hand the next question is "then why in the hell are you in this class if you don't know what a computer is?". this is especially when people graduating college now were born in the early 2000s and have no clue what dial-up internet is and literally have grown up with computers around them all their lives. a 40 something-year-old I can kind of understand but people born in the 1960s getting office jobs literally having to code what they wanted the computer to do makes me feel like when you are in a highly skilled field as cyber security is, you kind of expect that person to know at least some basic maintenance of computers

13 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i have not but i am pretty sure that in college one of the very first questions a professor is going to ask is "ok, who knows what a computer is" and all hands go up and that off chance that 1 person doesn't raise their hand the next question is "then why in the hell are you in this class if you don't know what a computer is?". this is especially when people graduating college now were born in the early 2000s and have no clue what dial-up internet is and literally have grown up with computers around them all their lives.

College student here. This is incorrect.

Students in introductory classes are not expected to know anything about that course's topics prior to taking it. Learning about how to use a computer is kind of the entire point of that type of class, whether it be computer science, computer engineering, or information technology. It's kind of like expecting a student to know how to perform a synthesis of verdigris from copper sulfate pentahydrate in an introductory chemistry class and asking them why the hell they're taking that class when they inevitably don't know.

And by the way, diagnosing hardware issues is not something usually taught in college classes. That is purely a problem solving skill, and has to be learned on one's own.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

11 hours ago, tdkid said:

tell me then what would you call seeing the blue screen of death and getting the "what failed" as the FLTMGR.SYS code then?

Clearly it wasn't spanked as a child.

22 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i have not but i am pretty sure that in college one of the very first questions a professor is going to ask is "ok, who knows what a computer is" and all hands go up and that off chance that 1 person doesn't raise their hand the next question is "then why in the hell are you in this class if you don't know what a computer is?".

When you start a mechanic engineering course, does the professor ask who has turned wrenches before?

When you start a PPL course, do they ask who has worked on aircraft before?

While they're close, they aren't necessarily hand in hand. Also keep in mind school is there to give you a base level knowledge and to learn how to do your own research and studies. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, dcgreen2k said:

College student here. This is incorrect.

Students in introductory classes are not expected to know anything about that course's topics prior to taking it. Learning about how to use a computer is kind of the entire point of that type of class, whether it be computer science, computer engineering, or information technology. It's kind of like expecting a student to know how to perform a synthesis of verdigris from copper sulfate pentahydrate in an introductory chemistry class and asking them why the hell they're taking that class when they inevitably don't know.

And by the way, diagnosing hardware issues is not something usually taught in college classes. That is purely a problem solving skill, and has to be learned on one's own.

no i dont think it is. yes I know that people in introductory courses are not supposed to know anything about the course let alone be able to write a PHD thesis on it but you would at least know some basic knowledge right? i mean you just admitted to being a college student which means you are probably in your late teens early 20s if you graduated in the past couple of years (just guessing) which means you grew up with computers all around you and even had a computer class in elementary, middle and probably high school. so you would know at least some basic of how computers work both software and hardware right?

and again I know. i just kind of felt someone in cyber security would be there because they loved computers and probably learned how to repair them on his own time or took some classes on how too since he has been in the industry for 20 years. 

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

When you start a mechanic engineering course, does the professor ask who has turned wrenches before?

While they're close, they aren't necessarily hand in hand. Also keep in mind school is there to give you a base level knowledge and to learn how to do your own research and studies. 

Exactly.  None of that kind of thing ever happened when I was in college.  Professors assumed we were adults and knew the prerequisites.  If we didn't, it was on us.

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

well actuallty a lot of them do or make you take a simple test to see what you know. but overall this is not a good example because mechanics have had to know about all sorts of skills like electrical and plumbing. and with more computers being put into cars they have to know about computer science and hardware.

2 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Exactly.  None of that kind of thing ever happened when I was in college.  Professors assumed we were adults and knew the prerequisites.  If we didn't, it was on us.

and that is kind of it. you are expected to know at least a little bit right? so why is me asking if someone in cyber security would know at least a little bit about computers seem so crazy? 

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

and again I know. i just kind of felt someone in cyber security would be there because they loved computers and probably learned how to repair them on his own time or took some classes on how too since he has been in the industry for 20 years. 

One of my coworkers did cybersecurity in the Navy.  I'm fairly certain they didn't use Windows and they sure as hell didn't fix their own equipment.

3 minutes ago, Erioch said:

One of my coworkers did cybersecurity in the Navy.  I'm fairly certain they didn't use Windows and they sure as hell didn't fix their own equipment.

my dad being the oldest was in the army, the middle brother also went army, youngest brother went navy. want to bet they had to know how fix their own shit when they might have to be in that room for days on end or the ones who would know might have been killed?

oh and the middle brother works with computers as the only person in the world who can do what he can do. i don't know what it is personally as I haven't talked to him in 20 years since we moved away but my dad talks to him. The youngest brother works with computers mainly in software but does repair work too. and my dad actually got a job up here where he was the person who was responsible for every computer at every gas station in 10 states for the company he worked for.

Just now, tdkid said:

well actuallty a lot of them do or make you take a simple test to see what you know. but overall this is not a good example because mechanics have had to know about all sorts of skills like electrical and plumbing. and with more computers being put into cars they have to know about computer science and hardware.

Sources?

Electrical is nothing new to turning wrenches. Yes, we had to learn how to work on electrical. Basic OHMs law and what not, but you know what? Out of a 10 month course, we spent 2 weeks on electrical. The rest was "figure it out on your own." 

How does plumbing help with turning wrenches? I have never once had to solder copper pipes together or install a sink or a toilet in a mucker. 

Either way, turning wrenches has nothing to do with mechanic engineering. 

When I started my PPL and CPL classes, no, that was not a question. The question was "Do you have any experience flying a helicopter" and VR flying was relevant. They didn't ask if I've ever fixed helicopters. Even with that experience, one on one classes still started with "This is a collective, this is what it does. This is your cyclic, it does this"

You're taking what you think should happen and saying it is what happens. 

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

my dad being the oldest was in the army, the middle brother also went army, youngest brother went navy. want to bet they had to know how fix their own shit when they might have to be in that room for days on end or the ones who would know might have been killed?

Keep in mind here, army/armed forces =/= civilian world or training. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Erioch said:

The Navy still uses Windows and they certainly have people that can fix their own equipment.  You can't always call tech support from a ship in a war zone.

We're not talking about firearms and shovels and crap like that.  We're talking about multi-million dollar servers and mainframes.  They have contractors fix that stuff.

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Sources?

Electrical is nothing new to turning wrenches. Yes, we had to learn how to work on electrical. Basic OHMs law and what not, but you know what? Out of a 10 month course, we spent 2 weeks on electrical. The rest was "figure it out on your own." 

How does plumbing help with turning wrenches? I have never once had to solder copper pipes together or install a sink or a toilet in a mucker. 

Either way, turning wrenches has nothing to do with mechanic engineering. 

When I started my PPL and CPL classes, no, that was not a question. The question was "Do you have any experience flying a helicopter" and VR flying was relevant. They didn't ask if I've ever fixed helicopters. Even with that experience, one on one classes still started with "This is a collective, this is what it does. This is your cyclic, it does this"

You're taking what you think should happen and saying it is what happens. 

Keep in mind here, army/armed forces =/= civilian world or training. 

um. you do know that the CLCs and AIOs in your computer are just smaller versions of the ones in your car right? make fun of mechanics all you want but they are a reason why you take your car to the shop vs repair it yourself. but you might be right as mechanical engineers don't really actually have to put the parts together nor make sure they know they are going to work. but any business that does this kind of work does a lot better when they promote the "uneducated" line worker who has spend 20+ years working with their hands vs the 20 year old college student who graduated last week.

um actually flight simulator is used to train pilots how to fly. my grandpa is a retired airline pilot who was a lead investigator in the 1985 L1011 Dalas crash. a test pilot for lear aircraft with over 40 years flying experience. his oldest son is a current airlines pilot due to reitre next year and was the union rep for captain sully for the "miracle on the hudson" and this is his son my cousin. flywithgarrett - YouTube

but overall I was just asking if people thought with having a high skill job, you would kind of come to expect someone to know the basics right?

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

no i dont think it is. yes I know that people in introductory courses are not supposed to know anything about the course let alone be able to write a PHD thesis on it but you would at least know some basic knowledge right? i mean you just admitted to being a college student which means you are probably in your late teens early 20s if you graduated in the past couple of years (just guessing) which means you grew up with computers all around you and even had a computer class in elementary, middle and probably high school. so you would know at least some basic of how computers work both software and hardware right?

I'm 22 and attending graduate school for machine perception next year. You are correct in saying that students in these introductory courses are expected to have some basic knowledge, and in my experience that meant "Are you able to turn the computer on, use a web browser, and install a program?". You'll probably notice that this is much more basic than what you're talking about, and there's a reason for that. Topics like diagnosing hardware and software issues are things that are simply not touched upon in these types of classes. To learn about them in a professional setting, you'd most likely need to find classes on IT certifications. These typically aren't offered in standard degree programs to my knowledge.

There's also always the chance that someone is in the cybersecurity field just because it makes them money. And to be honest, the computer issue I saw you were talking about earlier is a very specific one that I've never encountered before. Even with my knowledge and having grown up with computers, my first approach would be to just Google it.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

14 minutes ago, Erioch said:

We're not talking about firearms and shovels and crap like that.  We're talking about multi-million dollar servers and mainframes.  They have contractors fix that stuff.

um are we talking about the same armed forces are our yours just for show? i am wondering because I don't think its possible to schedule a geek squad appointment when you are on a ship 1500 miles from the nearest land that is not a carrier nor a destroyer. 

Just now, tdkid said:

you do know that the CLCs and AIOs in your computer are just smaller versions of the ones in your car right? make fun of mechanics all you want but they are a reason why you take your car to the shop vs repair it yourself.

So wait, with this jump, they should ask at the start of a cyber security training course if anyone has plumbing experience? You're jumping around a whole lot.

make fun of mechanics all you want

Oh I do, I make fun of myself all the time. 

they are a reason why you take your car to the shop vs repair it yourself.

I fix it myself. 

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

but any business that does this kind of work does a lot better when they promote the "uneducated" line worker who has spend 20+ years working with their hands vs the 20 year old college student who graduated last week.

Sources?

Speaking of sources, I'm still waiting on sources for this:

23 minutes ago, tdkid said:

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

actually flight simulator is used to train pilots how to fly.

Did I say it wasn't? Or did I say that they didn't ask if I had any experience working on helicopters and instead noted that VR time is relevant?

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

but overall I was just asking if people thought with having a high skill job, you would kind of come to expect someone to know the basics right?

No. Not when it's basics for a complete different trade, as I pointed out and somewhere you misread every single thing I said.

Do I need to use smaller words? More basic comparisons? 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, dcgreen2k said:

I'm 22 and attending graduate school for machine perception next year. You are correct in saying that students in these introductory courses are expected to have some basic knowledge, and in my experience that meant "Are you able to turn the computer on, use a web browser, and install a program?". You'll probably notice that this is much more basic that what you're talking about, and there's a reason for that. Topics like diagnosing hardware and software issues are things that are simply not touched upon in these types of classes. To learn about them in a professional setting, you'd most likely need to find classes on IT certifications. These typically aren't offered in standard degree programs to my knowledge.

There's also always the chance that someone is in the cybersecurity field just because it makes them money. And to be honest, the computer issue I saw you were talking about earlier is a very specific one that I've never encountered before. Even with my knowledge and having grown up with computers, my first approach would be to just Google it.

well it turns out that the issue was with the system that controls the data on the storage device and it failed. replacing it fixed the issue.