cyber security

tdkid
16 minutes ago, tdkid said:

um are we talking about the same armed forces are our yours just for show? i am wondering because I don't think its possible to schedule a geek squad appointment when you are on a ship 1500 miles from the nearest land that is not a carrier nor a destroyer. 

Tons of things don't/can't get fixed underway.

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

So wait, with this jump, they should ask at the start of a cyber security training course if anyone has plumbing experience? You're jumping around a whole lot.

Oh I do, I make fun of myself all the time. 

I fix it myself. 

Sources?

Speaking of sources, I'm still waiting on sources for this:

Did I say it wasn't? Or did I say that they didn't ask if I had any experience working on helicopters and instead noted that VR time is relevant?

No. Not when it's basics for a complete different trade, as I pointed out and somewhere you misread every single thing I said.

Do I need to use smaller words? More basic comparisons? 

LOL. just everything you said is too funny.

2 hours ago, Erioch said:

Tons of things don't/can't get fixed underway.

tons of things have to get fixed underway or the mission as a whole could be compromised. for example if all of a sudden the desalinators just stoped working. would that be something they can go without? what about one or more screens in the CIC? now I can understand some things taking time to get fixed and its it is a major part they don't have a replacement of they will have it brought in or go back to port for it but everything in the military has to work 100% of the time of there is no point in having it there at all. and lets face it the military loves having toys they don't get to use often.

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

i have not but i am pretty sure that in college one of the very first questions a professor is going to ask is "ok, who knows what a computer is" and all hands go up and that off chance that 1 person doesn't raise their hand the next question is "then why in the hell are you in this class if you don't know what a computer is?". this is especially when people graduating college now were born in the early 2000s and have no clue what dial-up internet is and literally have grown up with computers around them all their lives. a 40 something-year-old I can kind of understand but people born in the 1960s getting office jobs literally having to code what they wanted the computer to do makes me feel like when you are in a highly skilled field as cyber security is, you kind of expect that person to know at least some basic maintenance of computers

your whole argument being based off of "I'm pretty sure" is not a very strong foundation

15 minutes ago, tdkid said:

LOL. just everything you said is too funny.

Am I blessed enough today for you to show me where I'm factually wrong, or are we just going with "The sky is green because my grand pappy said so?"

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, da na said:

your whole argument being based off of "I'm pretty sure" is not a very strong foundation

my foundation? dude i asked a simple question that seems pretty reasonable in that someone who says they have a highly skilled job is going to know the basics of that job or something similar to that job. for this. the person works with computers that means that its a pretty good guess they like working with them and have done other things with them. otherwise its literally just a paycheck and if that is the case, why are you still at the job? on average my non-computer-based job can have me making anywhere from 10k-500k a month depending on what I need to do.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

job can have me making anywhere from 10k-500k a month depending on what I need to do

jesus that is a big range

My job pays anywhere between 5 cents and $4 billion an hour, for comparison

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Am I blessed enough today for you to show me where I'm factually wrong, or are we just going with "The sky is green because my grand pappy said so?"

oh its the fact that i asked a simple reasonable question and everyone here seems to think that the only people allowed to be here are the ones who know literally everything there is to know about computers but if that was the case then why have this place to ask questions and get answers? you people who seem to think you are so much smarter than me should probably just leave this place, create your own forum and post the answer to every question anyone could ever ask. 

2 minutes ago, da na said:

jesus that is a big range

My job pays anywhere between 5 cents and $4 billion an hour, for comparison

yeah i dought that because the market is not that volatile and if it is, its usually before a major fall in which case you will lose your ass even if you short sale, which if you did short sell before a massive fall it would probably lead to insider trading allegations. plus if it did then we would be going "elon who?"

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

yeah i dought that because the market is not that volatile and if it is, its usually before a major fall in which case you will lose your ass even if you short sale, which if you did short sell before a massive fall it would probably lead to insider trading allegations. plus if it did then we would be going "elon who?"

Joke - Wikipedia

5 minutes ago, da na said:

It is funny when people run out of ways to argue and resort to ad hominem insults 

oh if you want to argue then we can argue but you have to know that when you post something like that  trying to insult someone, its the same thing as posting a meme as your comeback.

27 minutes ago, tdkid said:

oh its the fact that i asked a simple reasonable question and everyone here seems to think that the only people allowed to be here are the ones who know literally everything there is to know about computers but if that was the case then why have this place to ask questions and get answers? you people who seem to think you are so much smarter than me should probably just leave this place, create your own forum and post the answer to every question anyone could ever ask. 

No one has said that. You asked a question. Stated things as facts. I asked for sources for those facts, and we moved on to you making large stretches and assumptions.

You know why I specifically asked about mechanical engineer vs mechanic? Heavy equipment mechanic by trade. 

You know why I asked about PPL/CPL? Working on my CPL currently.

You know how I know that armed forces training=/= civy training? I've got a DD214. I went in late. After I had already done EMS to pay my way through trade school. You know what I could do after a 3 month medic course in the Army? ALS. Intubation, intraosseous IVs, intravenous. You know what I could do after a 3 months civy course? BLS. CPR, splinting, bandaging, and I had to work directly under a paramedic. 

Spoiler

image.png.3888d6c0194e2fb2e1c9e2196e14a6b2.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

21 minutes ago, tdkid said:

oh if you want to argue then we can argue but you have to know that when you post something like that  trying to insult someone, its the same thing as posting a meme as your comeback.

There is no need to argue about a simple question that quickly devolved. It is okay to accept that you are incorrect.

2 very different jobs and skill sets. There is some overlap but in the IT world you have every sort of person. We have audio heads who play guitar and use only mac and hate windows, gamers who only build their own pc, as well as people who work out and ask others about pc parts questions for helping buy pcs for their kids. You can check some certifications that alot of entry levels get like https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP. The process of understanding networking, tools, software, policies that help protect data etc in a business is very different than putting together pc parts and assembling a gaming/work computer. There is overlap as I said but its less of an overlap as a medical doctor at a hospital being able to perform tooth removal vs a dentist trying to perform full examinations in a hospital. There are devs who work in mac and windows programming new software yet have issues with their headsets and boardroom cameras for meetings and call tech support.

No matter how many years experience you have in the IT world, there will always be some small random error/issue/flaw that you may have to search up that someone else may know off the top of their head. Its not that they dont understand their topic but knowing when to research to confirm isnt a sign of weakness, but a sign of knowing when you dont fully know, and searching up an answer.

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

No one has said that. You asked a question. Stated things as facts. I asked for sources for those facts, and we moved on to you making large stretches and assumptions.

You know why I specifically asked about mechanical engineer vs mechanic? Heavy equipment mechanic by trade. 

You know why I asked about PPL/CPL? Working on my CPL currently.

You know how I know that armed forces training=/= civy training? I've got a DD214. I went in late. After I had already done EMS to pay my way through trade school. You know what I could do after a 3 month medic course in the Army? ALS. Intubation, intraosseous IVs, intravenous. You know what I could do after a 3 months civy course? BLS. CPR, splinting, bandaging, and I had to work directly under a paramedic. 

Hide contents

image.png.3888d6c0194e2fb2e1c9e2196e14a6b2.png

i mentioned that my dad went into the army, what I didn't mention is that he was in the 101st, yes that 101st but joined in 82 when they were no longer jumping out of planes but repelling out of helicopters. my dad growing up was trained by his father's friends who were masters in the trade fields of mechanics, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, you name it. and he trained me. so I have all the skills you have with now of the expensive schooling or certification to prove it but we have built and repaired our own home. i am also in the towing field now specifically repossession so i can take a $5000 car and get paid $300-1000 for it or a 5 million dollar yacht/plane and get paid 50-250k. my dad was also NEST trained. years after getting out he gets a job working for this company as THE person of contact for every single fuel station you see in the mid-Atlantic region when he was working for this company. my dad is the oldest of 3, the middle brother also went into the army and after getting out is now the only person in the world who does what he does. i don't know specifics as I haven't talk to him personally since we moved away when I was young but he works with the computers on the oilfields all over the world. here we have paramedics who do that job separately from the ambulances who are all with the local fire department and the fire department in this state is 99% volunteer with only 1 station being fully paid in the entire state. but in that same course, they learn everything a doctor can do because you know you don't have an operating room in the field. 

so please can we stop with the flexing? i mean both of us 

Bringing it somewhat back on topic.

Cyber security isn't neccassarily a technical position, at least, not from a support or fixing issues standpoint. A lot of people in cyber security will come from that background, but it's not a requirement or even something you really use in the role.

Typically, the cyber security team is seperate from the general IT department. They'll normally have contacts within the IT department to facilitate the deployment and configuration of tools that are used to maintain the company's cyber security posture, rather than doing to boots on the ground work themselves. Most cyber security roles are focused on processes, procedures, best practices and a wider view of the organisation as a whole rather than individual technical issues.

I'm a security engineer that works with our cyber security team, but I'm part of the IT department. My main point of contact with them isn't particuarly technical and will ask me sometimes seemingly basic questions, but they'll be in areas where I do it every day but he never touches it. And likewise, some of the things I ask him would seem simple to him. I'm typically the person in IT he'll ask to configure, set things up and so on.

There are a lot of IT roles that don't and aren't expected to know anything about fixing or diagnosing issues with computers. Developers for example, don't need to know how to diagnose or fix a hardware error to do their job, that's what the support and infrastructure engineers are there for

17 minutes ago, da na said:

There is no need to argue about a simple question that quickly devolved. It is okay to accept that you are incorrect.

and i might have if i was incorrect but all I wanted to know is if it was normal for someone who was supposed to be in a highly skilled required field to understand the basics or possibly simple solutions and i get treated as if its the most obvious thing in the world that its not. 

I know a computer engineer with a phd, was part of the team that built the AMD K6 and the IBM power pc memory controller and a few other things.

the guy is a Luddite with computers and is perpetually in need of help to do basic things in windows or iPadOS

different skill sets. Not hard to comprehend op. 

a computer security expert isn’t going to know some weird windows issue 

17 minutes ago, tdkid said:

and i might have if i was incorrect but all I wanted to know is if it was normal for someone who was supposed to be in a highly skilled required field to understand the basics or possibly simple solutions and i get treated as if its the most obvious thing in the world that its not.

Everyone told you it's not normal and you kept on insisting "but you would think..."

You weren't looking for an answer. You wanted to talk sh*t about someone. You were looking for someone to agree with you.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

18 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Everyone told you it's not normal and you kept on insisting "but you would think..."

You weren't looking for an answer. You wanted to talk sh*t about someone. You were looking for someone to agree with you.

think what you want. i am done with this.