Fix hyperlink cutoff in email notifications

Thibaultmol

image.png.2dd5521c6e291b9be55a5ff70e26efd4.png

I get that the idea is to limit the amount of text, but I would expect the actual hyperlink itself to atleast work. if you click that, it just takes me to https://www.twi

9 minutes ago, Thibaultmol said:

image.png.2dd5521c6e291b9be55a5ff70e26efd4.png

I get that the idea is to limit the amount of text, but I would expect the actual hyperlink itself to atleast work. if you click that, it just takes me to https://www.twi

I bet that the big orange button works. Is visiting these boards that horrible to you, that you only want to click on random links in your e-mail? (feels like you live way beyond the edge instead of living on the edge)

I would suggest removing all urls from notification e-mails.

44 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

I bet that the big orange button works. Is visiting these boards that horrible to you, that you only want to click on random links in your e-mail? (feels like you live way beyond the edge instead of living on the edge)

I would suggest removing all urls from notification e-mails.

Could have just answered like a normal person. No need to attack me like that... Jeez

1 minute ago, Thibaultmol said:

Could have just answered like a normal person. No need to attack me like that... Jeez

Not really an personal attack IMO. Not being able to see a full link (as at least text) and just clicking on it, seems kinda really dangerous. Especially from a random e-mail. And I do think you should take that into consideration. And that's also why I did my version of the suggestion.

Not a random post. I knew it was a post from the sponsors forum section.

Whatever

4 hours ago, Thibaultmol said:

Not a random post. I knew it was a post from the sponsors forum section.

Whatever

While they come of as bit of dick, they have good point. The reason of cutting off is because we have had issues with spammers and these could be malicious links. While you know which thread its from, thats doesn't exclude possibility of link itself being malicious if it was originally posted by spammer etc.

So I would rather auto-remove or replace any links that aren't whitelisted (maybe just internal forums linking, lttstore and other direct known links).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

While they come of as bit of dick, they have good point. The reason of cutting off is because we have had issues with spammers and these could be malicious links. While you know which thread its from, thats doesn't exclude possibility of link itself being malicious if it was originally posted by spammer etc.

So I would rather auto-remove or replace any links that aren't whitelisted (maybe just internal forums linking, lttstore and other direct known links).

That's fair. Maybe it should then atleast not be a hyperlink at all as @Budget DIYsaid

On 6/9/2023 at 3:26 PM, LogicalDrm said:

The reason of cutting off is because we have had issues with spammers and these could be malicious links.

No it isn't, this is purely truncation for brevity.

I am surprised that the link would behave like that though - are you sure it's not your email client looking for anything starting https:// and turning that into a link, putting it out of our control? If you're not sure, can you download the email source (generally "view original" or "view source" or something) and send it to me in a pm (it will contain your email address, so probably don't post it here).

HTTP/2 203

50 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

No it isn't, this is purely truncation for brevity.

I am surprised that the link would behave like that though - are you sure it's not your email client looking for anything starting https:// and turning that into a link, putting it out of our control? If you're not sure, can you download the email source (generally "view original" or "view source" or something) and send it to me in a pm (it will contain your email address, so probably don't post it here).

I mean. It's getting in Gmail. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Thibaultmol said:

I mean. It's getting in Gmail. 🤷‍♂️

Right, but I suspect the link was inserted by Gmail rather than the forum, and there isn't much we can do about it if so.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

Gmail (and other web email browsers) will kinda just do whatever they want to do, there's not a ton of control over hyperlinks in them.

I know what you mean, but in this case it's not actually cutting off the very end of the email like it sometimes does. It's cutting off that exact section inside the middle of the email so I highly doubt that it's Gmail doing that

The forum is cutting off the text, but Gmail is probably converting it to a link. I would need the raw email source to confirm that though.

HTTP/2 203

Received the email source from @Thibaultmol - I can confirm that the forum didn't put any links there, so it is a Gmail problem. In the original email it was just plain text saying https://www.twi

HTTP/2 203

Huh! Glad that's cleared up up now. (good job google...)