looking to upgrade home network from ISP modem/router(AUS)

Zohan2000

hi all, looking to upgrade from the telstra modem/router im using to something that allows me to change settings like port forwarding, DNS and other things for a future server but got no idea where to start looking, also looking to get an unmanaged switch to use for the computer and future server plus any consoles  i use, any tips and advice here would be awesome, something smallish would be good and not too "gamer-ry" as it does have to pass the mom check lol

my current setup is from the wall into the telstra modem/router (has Wi-Fi) long ethernet cable to the other side of the house for my computer, it works fine but seems limited and not really expandable

looking around i think ive found a decent modem/router replacement, was gonna get a modem or find a small ISP one and get a router for the wifi and ethernet ports but i dont have much room where the phone line is and dont want to have 3 different devices for internet and voip (using a grandstream for the house phone) any suggestions or advice?

TP-link archer vr2100v

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr2100v/

8 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

but got no idea where to start looking

Start by confirming with Telstra that you can use your own modem. Although I'm not sure about DSL, ISPs on other types of networks usually need to authorize the modem/gateway so it is compatible and recognized as a legitimate device. Also, they would also be the ones to supply you with login information for the connection if such credentials are needed.

1 hour ago, Zohan2000 said:

If this fits your budget and is accessible in your markets, that shouldn't be a problem. Again, make sure it's approved by your ISP first.

Also, if you can't use your own modem, you may be able to put your router/modem combo device into bridged mode and then you can supply your own router, and hook up a switch to your router if you want, etc.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | ASUS RTX 4070 TUF 12GB GDDR6X | 32GB DDR4 CL22 3200MHz ECC | WD Black SN770 2TB SSD | 6x6TB WD Red Pro | Ubuntu 22.04

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Start by confirming with Telstra that you can use your own modem. Although I'm not sure about DSL, ISPs on other types of networks usually need to authorize the modem/gateway so it is compatible and recognized as a legitimate device. Also, they would also be the ones to supply you with login information for the connection if such credentials are needed.

If this fits your budget and is accessible in your markets, that shouldn't be a problem. Again, make sure it's approved by your ISP first.

I'm actually with an ISP called Aussie broadband but been using telstras modem as the one from abb wasn't giving great WiFi coverage