Mini ITX build lights up but no display (PLEASE HELP IM GOING INSANE)

Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

I know you’re not going to like this…but take the board out of the case. Plug in just cpu/ram/gpu and power. Start with a screwdriver to power pins.

if you still have an issue, you probably have a doa motherboard since that’s the one piece that changed.

So I previously had a ATX case and wanted to try a Mini ITX build so I could fit my PC on my desk. So The only thing I changed was my motherboard (from an ASUS X570 tuf gaming wifi plus pro to the Gigabyte B55I Aorus Pro AX ), my PSU ( Evga 1000 GT to an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM), and got a Noctua low-profile CPU Cooler so that everything would fit in my case (a Cooler Master NR200p Case). It will power on and light up, but give no display even after about 10 minutes because I heard AMD startups can sometimes take a hot minute on new motherboards. I have tried the following: 

• I tried reseating the GPU, CPU, and RAM.
  • Reconnecting every single connection on the board and DOUBLE checking to make sure it was making total contact.
  • Purchasing RAM that is on the Memory Support List (Apparently the Trident Z Neo RAM sticks aren't on there so I bought the Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks that are on the list. 
  • Attempted to use the flash bios button on the back (this is a point of annoyance as well because the button does not seem to work. If I did exactly what I had researched said to do, the button should be pressed and the motherboard would flash the proper bios and I should be in business but when I pushed the buttons, no LED lit up and the LEDs on the board and RAM turned off completely. I've tried everything I could think of in this area, including taking everything but the 24-pin cable off and trying it that way and no luck)

I am running out of ideas but I have a test mini itx build I did that works fine but am gonna see if the PSU and case works on it and maybe wipe my old drives I have installed first though I doubt that is the issue. Other than that, I got nothing and I'm getting discouraged. Any and all suggestions and questions are welcome. My PC specs should show up, if not, I'll put them on this post later. Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, FrostyLaws said:

So I previously had a ATX case and wanted to try a Mini ITX build so I could fit my PC on my desk. So The only thing I changed was my motherboard (from an ASUS X570 tuf gaming wifi plus pro to the Gigabyte B55I Aorus Pro AX ), my PSU ( Evga 1000 GT to an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM), and got a Noctua low-profile CPU Cooler so that everything would fit in my case (a Cooler Master NR200p Case). It will power on and light up, but give no display even after about 10 minutes because I heard AMD startups can sometimes take a hot minute on new motherboards. I have tried the following: 

• I tried reseating the GPU, CPU, and RAM.
  • Reconnecting every single connection on the board and DOUBLE checking to make sure it was making total contact.
  • Purchasing RAM that is on the Memory Support List (Apparently the Trident Z Neo RAM sticks aren't on there so I bought the Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks that are on the list. 
  • Attempted to use the flash bios button on the back (this is a point of annoyance as well because the button does not seem to work. If I did exactly what I had researched said to do, the button should be pressed and the motherboard would flash the proper bios and I should be in business but when I pushed the buttons, no LED lit up and the LEDs on the board and RAM turned off completely. I've tried everything I could think of in this area, including taking everything but the 24-pin cable off and trying it that way and no luck)

I am running out of ideas but I have a test mini itx build I did that works fine but am gonna see if the PSU and case works on it and maybe wipe my old drives I have installed first though I doubt that is the issue. Other than that, I got nothing and I'm getting discouraged. Any and all suggestions and questions are welcome. My PC specs should show up, if not, I'll put them on this post later. Thanks. 

Your CPU power cable, and GPU power cable are connected and fully seated on the motherboard? Especially the fully seated part? no LEDs inidcators on the motherboard? Like any red ones? I don't mean to doubt you but I've been told by friends with 100% confidence that wasn't it, only to find a partially unseated CPU power cable. 

trying clearing CMOS and booting up. Don't wipe your storage drives, they don't even come into play until after you get to BIOS, and you don't seem to be getting to BIOS. I'm on x570, it doesn't take 10 minutes to post, more like 10 seconds. I have never bothered with RAM compatibility lists and never had any issues. 

I actually had great success with the gigabyte BIOS update utility in the past, but it also seems like your motherboard ships with ryzen 5000 compatibility so you shouldn't be required to do this. Also, I'm running the same PSU but with higher power GPU so power should not be an issue here. Have you tried a different monitor, display cable, and/or different display outputs on GPU?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

14 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Your CPU power cable, and GPU power cable are connected and fully seated on the motherboard? Especially the fully seated part? no LEDs inidcators on the motherboard? Like any red ones? I don't mean to doubt you but I've been told by friends with 100% confidence that wasn't it, only to find a partially unseated CPU power cable. 

trying clearing CMOS and booting up. Don't wipe your storage drives, they don't even come into play until after you get to BIOS, and you don't seem to be getting to BIOS. I'm on x570, it doesn't take 10 minutes to post, more like 10 seconds. I have never bothered with RAM compatibility lists and never had any issues. 

I actually had great success with the gigabyte BIOS update utility in the past, but it also seems like your motherboard ships with ryzen 5000 compatibility so you shouldn't be required to do this. Also, I'm running the same PSU but with higher power GPU so power should not be an issue here. Have you tried a different monitor, display cable, and/or different display outputs on GPU?

I believe so. I’ve tried with ask my being to make sure it was. Unfortunately this board doesn’t have any LED indicators except the Q-Flash button but that doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll double check though. 

I’ll try the clear bios pins and report if anything happens. Yeah I had a x570 board in my ATX case and it would boot just fine right away but I read some people were having slower times for some reason. 

That’s what I thought! I was like this should be ready right out the box. Yes I have on the display. I’m going straight from the other build that has a 1070 in it. I tried it from both monitors too. 

29 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Also, I’m using two separate GPU power cables to plug into the GPU. I have to either share one cable and I’ve read stability issues can happen if you use just one and it worked with the two cables on my old rig. I’m also using a riser extension cable to fit the GPU in the case.  Figured that would be worthwhile info 

image.jpg

Edited by FrostyLaws

Update: same thing as before. System is on, CPU fan is spinning, vanity (I believe it is a aesthetic LED) LED is on, and no display. I do notice when I first plug in the DP cable, my monitor recognizes that it’s plugged into something but it doesn’t recognize a signal outside of that

image.jpg

I know you’re not going to like this…but take the board out of the case. Plug in just cpu/ram/gpu and power. Start with a screwdriver to power pins.

if you still have an issue, you probably have a doa motherboard since that’s the one piece that changed.

2 hours ago, FrostyLaws said:

Update: same thing as before. System is on, CPU fan is spinning, vanity (I believe it is a aesthetic LED) LED is on, and no display. I do notice when I first plug in the DP cable, my monitor recognizes that it’s plugged into something but it doesn’t recognize a signal outside of that

image.jpg

Are you able to get the GPU connected without the riser cable? Definitely something to look at. You're having display issues and this is something extra between your GPU and display output. Or maybe start by making sure the riser cable is firmly installed. Reseat it. Remove it and firmly install. 

I don't think you should have any concern about the power cables to the GPU if they are firmly connected. 

1 hour ago, Whatisthis said:

If you really can't get it working, using those other parts to do this is your best bet. Confirm it's working out of case, you can easily test parts. I know the pain with a SFF build, it sucks to undo everything, but If you get at this point it's the only way to figure out what is the problem. 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

18 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

lol you’re right, I don’t like that but I mean I can try? I tested my PSU in my other build so I’m pretty darn sure it’s the motherboard but wanna test everything else first just to be sure. 

17 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Are you able to get the GPU connected without the riser cable? Definitely something to look at. You're having display issues and this is something extra between your GPU and display output. Or maybe start by making sure the riser cable is firmly installed. Reseat it. Remove it and firmly install. 

I don't think you should have any concern about the power cables to the GPU if they are firmly connected. 

If you really can't get it working, using those other parts to do this is your best bet. Confirm it's working out of case, you can easily test parts. I know the pain with a SFF build, it sucks to undo everything, but If you get at this point it's the only way to figure out what is the problem. 

I didn’t think to try my other riser extension, I could try that tonight. I guess it could potentially be the PCIe slot that’s bad as well but I could also test that tonight. 

yeahhh the SFF is great but a pain to put together. Kinda wish I had a open test bench and honestly after this, I’m heavily considering buying one. I’ll update you tonight or tomorrow. Gotta watch Spider-Man with the wife

New update: riser cable is fine and works, cpu works, GPU works. I think I may just got a DOA motherboard. Which really sucks.