Relatively graphically intensive indie games?

emothxughts

We all know that modern AAA games suck and has terribly unreasonable hardware requirements. In response, many people suggest getting indie games instead. However many indie games have rather modest graphics that can run on low end computer, not that this is a bad thing.

So I'd like to ask, what indie games out there has graphics on par with modern AAA games? Something that makes GPUs from at least 6 years ago sweat?

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

Star Citizen

Cyberpunk 2077

Witcher 3 Next Gen

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Assetto Corsa Competttizeeonnneeee

Last Epoch

New World

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

28 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Star Citizen

Cyberpunk 2077

Witcher 3 Next Gen

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Last Epoch

New World

Are those all really considered indie?

Star Citizen - 90 million

Cyber Punk budget - 316 million dollars and 5200 people worked on it.

Kingdom come - 36 million

Witcher 3 - 81 million

42 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Star Citizen - 90 million

Cyber Punk budget - 316 million dollars and 5200 people worked on it.

Kingdom come - 36 million

Witcher 3 - 81 million

New World is backed by Amazon, and Kunos Simulazioni is also making multimillions off AC and car manufacturers wanting to be in game.

Hell Let Loose

Ready Or Not

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Three games I can think of off the top of my head that may or may not answer my own topic:

• Kingdom Come Deliverance, by Warhorse Studios, a relatively small Czech studio. Granted there's also some million $ investments from a local investor...
  • No Man's Sky, by Hello Games, a small studio that previously made sidescroller motorcycle games.
  • Postal 4. Postal 2 would count if it wasn't an old game from the early 2000s. And there's also the first Postal game. And there's no Postal 3, nope, never existed. 😛

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

inorder ot make a game with alot of eye candy you need a big buget or the community. like mods for games will make it even better but alot of thows are aaa games. 

no man sky was an indy but now i dont no. my gtx 760 played it thow they some how made it slower and lagger and they keep resting things... so i give up on it. the ui is aloso bad... 

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I thought indie mean you developed and published the game yourself? Is it not?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

45 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Indie usually has the connotation of being a smaller/lower value company. CD Project RED is (was?) bigger then Ubisoft and the largest game dev in Europe. Not really fitting the spirit of indie in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Indie usually has the connotation of being a smaller/lower value company. CD Project RED is (was?) bigger then Ubisoft and the largest game dev in Europe. Not really fitting the spirit of indie in my opinion.

They're huge now but not so much 10 years ago. They're still independent now afaik, developed and self published their own game. Similar to Valve, Larian Studios, Kunos, CiG, etc. 

That's the real meaning of indie game imo. Just because it's indie doesn't mean it can't have high budget. 

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

They're huge now but not so much 10 years ago. They're still independent now afaik, developed and self published their own game. Similar to Valve, Larian Studios, Kunos, CiG, etc. 

That's the real meaning of indie game imo. Just because it's indie doesn't mean it can't have high budget. 

Well according to nearly every search about the difference between AAA and indie, they classify as AAA. Not only are they not small, and not low budget, they are traded on the stock market, so not really indepentent.

https://www.makeuseof.com/aaa-games-vs-indie-games-differences/

https://portal.pixelfederation.com/en/blog/article/indie-vs-aaa

https://www.howtogeek.com/659948/what-are-aaa-triple-a-video-games/

Going through the list of different companies that all helped to make the game really steers me away from calling it an indie game. It wasn't made by CD Project RED alone, there are dozens of studios that contributed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3810192/fullcredits

10 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

New World

This is from Amazon. Com is it not? 

The forest original was indie. 

Probably the best looking indie game. 

11 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

No, it just means poor quality/ bad gameplay/ low end graphics.  Basically a marketing gag and people LOVE it (probably the same people who buy EA)

4 hours ago, fpo said:

This is from Amazon. Com is it not? 

The forest original was indie. 

Probably the best looking indie game. 

ironically,  Amazon *is* independent.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

15 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Star Citizen

Cyberpunk 2077

Witcher 3 Next Gen

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Last Epoch

New World

personally my favorite indie developers are Capcom,  Koei Tecmo and Namco. See how meaningless that term is to categorize games?  (its still mostly a marketing scheme)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, it just means poor quality/ bad gameplay/ low end graphics.  Basically a marketing gag and people LOVE it (probably the same people who buy EA)

K

Bright Memory is the only really indy game imo that comes to my mind that is like bleeding edge graphical tech under a indy studio. One of the few studios that took the time to fully implement like RTX and more. That aren't using RTX just to make shadows look nicer. 

They got Cody Mathew Johnson who helped collab compose the  the master piece of tracks we know from DMC5 😅

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

I should clarify what I meant by indie game: Games made by studios with less than 100 people (a small team preferably, a singular person even better), may or may not be tied to a major publisher, promotion mostly by word of mouth rather than massive ad campaigns.

By these criteria, I think Postal 4 should count...

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

3 hours ago, emothxughts said:

I should clarify what I meant by indie game: Games made by studios with less than 100 people (a small team preferably, a singular person even better), may or may not be tied to a major publisher, promotion mostly by word of mouth rather than massive ad campaigns.

Just remembered... Road to Vostok is pretty good graphics and is just one dude

5 hours ago, emothxughts said:

Does youtuber count as promotion word of mouth? 😛 

If yes then Silica is made by 1 person, at least for now. This game seems to get lot of traction lately so BIS might assign more people to the project. 

What Remains of Edith Finch

It's old, but gold.

I edit my posts more often than not