Meta announces Quest 3, cuts Quest 2 price, shows off games

WolframaticAlpha
Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,

We got more info on it now (wasn't sure if it was worth making a new thread... maybe the OP can update their post to reflect the new info)

It will be $499.

Releases on the 10th of October this year.

https://www.meta.com/ca/quest/quest-3/

https://www.engadget.com/meta-quest-3-hands-on-a-proper-successor-to-the-most-popular-vr-headset-173750489.html

Will support Xbox Cloud Gaming in December

https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/27/xbox-cloud-gaming-is-coming-to-meta-quest-3-in-december/

Summary

Meta has announced its newest VR headset from it's Quest line of VR headsets, Meta Quest 3, priced at 499 USD. The Quest 3 was revealed in a video and more details were promised in a September event by Meta. The Quest 3 is a considerable step up in performance with Meta boasting a near 2X jump in GPU power. While full technical details haven't been revealed yet, rumors suggest that the Quest 3 uses the Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 by Qualcomm, which is based off their Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 platform.

The headset also has a greater focus on AR applications. Meta has placed 4 cameras for video passthrough and in an early preview, with Meta adding a depth sensor for the first time,. In his early preview of the quest 3, bloomberg analyst Mark Gurman noted that the video passthrough capabilities for AR/MR applications has been substantially improved. The new quest 3 also has higher resolution displays, but uses the same panel technology.

The device is also substantially lighter than the Quest 2 and uses a fabric instead of plastic in many places to increase comfort. The headset also has a slimmer profile and has a 40% slimmer optic profile as compared to the previoys generation. Meta has also brought back external IPD adjustments. Notably, the Quest 3 wouldn't have eye tracking, which means no foveated rendering, which is present in competitors like the PSVR2.

The controllers have been redesigned, now ditching the ring surrounding them, and instead use controllers similar to the ones that debuted with the Quest Pro, and has the same haptics as that. 

Spoiler

Close up image of handheld controls for the Meta Quest 3, with thumstick, two buttons on the top and one trigger button.

Meta has also cut the price of the Quest 2 to 299 USD for the 128GB version and 349USD for the 256GB version. Meta has also announced that the power of the Quest 2 will be boosted in a software update.

The Quest 3 is backwards compatible with Quest 2's back catalog and meta also had a games display where it showed off versions of NFL, stranger things, Assassins creed and Attack on titan based games among others. The

Quotes

Mark Gurman on Bloomberg

Due to the dual RGB color cameras, video pass-through on the Quest 3 presented colors more accurately and offered an almost lifelike rendering of the real world. I was even able to use my phone while wearing the headset, something that often feels impossible on a Quest 2.

The speed of navigating through the device’s interface, launching apps and playing games also felt much improved over the Quest 2. That’s because the headset includes a second-generation version of Qualcomm Inc.’s Snapdragon XR2 chip.

The Quest 3 lacks face and eye tracking. That also means it doesn’t have so-called eye-tracked foveated rendering, which allows the system to more precisely focus its resources on where a user is looking.

The report also talked about what the Quest 3 won’t have, namely, eye-tracking. That means games can’t use foveated rendering, a feature present in Sony’s PSVR 2 that adjusts based on where a player is looking and allows the system to concentrate processing power on the graphics in those places and pull back elsewhere.

Facebook's Press Release:

That next-gen Snapdragon chipset delivers more than twice the graphical performance as the previous generation Snapdragon GPU in Quest 2

We also included TruTouch haptics that first debuted in Touch Pro to help you feel the action like never before. You can even upgrade to our fully self-tracked Meta Quest Touch Pro Controllers for a premium experience. And hand tracking will be supported out of the box, so you can explore without controllers, thanks to Direct Touch that lets you use just your hands to interact with virtual objects.

In an upcoming software update, we’re updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro. As developers take advantage of these changes, you can expect smoother gameplay, a more responsive UI, and richer content on both headsets. And we’re enabling Dynamic Resolution Scaling for both Quest 2 and Quest Pro, so games and apps can take advantage of increased pixel density without dropping frames.

My thoughts

I know they were talking about it for some time but the announcement was a bit surprising.  The timing seems a bit suspicious and the pricing is about in line with what I expected, since meta had talked about increasing prices a few weeks ago. The quest 2 is quite appealing as a starter headset for 299 dollars. Meta's game line up is already solid and got a bit better. The lack of eye tracking is a bit disappointing because it would've allowed for foveated renderin, but if they put it in then people would talk about meta tracking their eyeballs lmao.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/1/23744576/meta-quest-3-vr-headset-price-details

https://about.fb.com/news/2023/06/meta-quest-3-coming-this-fall/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2023-05-28/meta-quest-3-real-life-hands-on-how-it-compares-to-apple-mixed-reality-headset-li7h3suy

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/quest/meta-quest-gaming-showcase-2023-recap-game-trailers/

I wonder if it will include brainwave & pupil movement data stealer

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

What for? Until Facebook rediscovers how to make a slightly competent copy of VR Chat/Second Life it doesn't matter what hardware they make.

Why do they need to make a copy? Vrchat already exists.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Honestly that is what most people are asking when meta showed their metaverse demo. Just a way worse vr chat which with how much money they put into it I am baffled how that is possible. Honestly I feel like this is a common issue though that baffles me. Certain companies try and do something and throw a ton of money at the problem but can't get it done while smaller companies with way less money somehow do.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly that is what most people are asking when meta showed their metaverse demo. Just a way worse vr chat which with how much money they put into it I am baffled how that is possible. Honestly I feel like this is a common issue though that baffles me. Certain companies try and do something and throw a ton of money at the problem but can't get it done while smaller companies with way less money somehow do.

because they try and make it too "corporate" and has 15 layers of approvals that everything is too safe.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

And it runs it poorly.

https://mixed-news.com/en/vrchat-to-disappear-from-the-meta-quest-1

VRChat announced in a developer update that it will no longer support Meta’s first standalone VR headset after June 30th, 2023.

You need to use "Quest-compatible" avatars and worlds, which kinda looks like this:

https://docs.vrchat.com/docs/avatar-performance-ranking-system

image.thumb.png.32a12102e9f6635ccfb7546c2cde940a.png

image.thumb.png.fdf964d322d8e7370441d1da1d031e1e.png

Note how Quest requires 7500 polys, and "poor performance is at 20,000" where as PC is 32,000 for best performance and 70,000 for poor.

Let that sink in. The "poor performance" of quest has a gap of nearly 30% from the "best performance" of the PC (eg a nvidia GTX 960.) The Quest is actually holding back VRChat. The chances are, that if you play VRChat with only the Quest/Quest2/Quest3, you're going to be in a world with no PC players and no PC-only worlds.

There is a reason why Horizon Worlds looks like it fell off Second Life's turnip truck. It's bad. it's always been bad. And you obviously can't stick a RTX 4090 in a all-in-one VR HMD. So Horizon worlds, and plenty of other "metaverse" apps intended to be used with VR HMD's have just pretty much been a rug-pull. "Buy this expensive VR HMD that has no practical use for anyone", when all the things you could potentially use it for, would rather you just ditch the VR HMD so you can play it with everyone.

Honestly, Facebook pretty much put the cart before the horse and then bet the horse. We know VR was going to be a garbage experience since around 1995, and that's been confirmed time and time again. People don't really want a "VR" experience, what they want is a "Privacy experience" (think about watching movies or playing conventional video games without needing an actual 50" television, when you can have a virtual one that correctly takes up your field of vision.) Once that was achieved, then other aspects, like shared social areas could have been integrated so you could be in a "Virtual" theatre with just your friends.

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

And it runs it poorly.

You need to use "Quest-compatible" avatars and worlds, which kinda looks like this:

Note how Quest requires 7500 polys, and "poor performance is at 20,000" where as PC is 32,000 for best performance and 70,000 for poor.

Let that sink in. The "poor performance" of quest has a gap of nearly 30% from the "best performance" of the PC (eg a nvidia GTX 960.) The Quest is actually holding back VRChat. The chances are, that if you play VRChat with only the Quest/Quest2/Quest3, you're going to be in a world with no PC players and no PC-only worlds.

There is a reason why Horizon Worlds looks like it fell off Second Life's turnip truck. It's bad. it's always been bad. And you obviously can't stick a RTX 4090 in a all-in-one VR HMD. So Horizon worlds, and plenty of other "metaverse" apps intended to be used with VR HMD's have just pretty much been a rug-pull. "Buy this expensive VR HMD that has no practical use for anyone", when all the things you could potentially use it for, would rather you just ditch the VR HMD so you can play it with everyone.

virtual desktop (wireless VR from PC) / Oculus Link (wired VR like any normal headset)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

27 minutes ago, Kisai said:

And it runs it poorly.

Honestly, Facebook pretty much put the cart before the horse and then bet the horse. We know VR was going to be a garbage experience since around 1995, and that's been confirmed time and time again. People don't really want a "VR" experience, what they want is a "Privacy experience" (think about watching movies or playing conventional video games without needing an actual 50" television, when you can have a virtual one that correctly takes up your field of vision.) Once that was achieved, then other aspects, like shared social areas could have been integrated so you could be in a "Virtual" theatre with just your friends.

What do you mean could? They already have this. I know my brother uses his vr headset exactly like what you described at the end. That being said the biggest issue with VR is that a big barrier is simply having a dedicated space to play it in. I mean I have the money and the pc for VR but I don't have a place where I could reasonably setup a space for VR. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in similar situations. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

What do you mean could? They already have this. I know my brother uses his vr headset exactly like what you described at the end. That being said the biggest issue with VR is that a big barrier is simply having a dedicated space to play it in. I mean I have the money and the pc for VR but I don't have a place where I could reasonably setup a space for VR. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in similar situations. 

Right, and when you are selling it as needing an entire living room (something that apartments haven't had since the 80's), the amount of people who see any utility in it drops to people who own obnoxiously large homes. Forget about those dinky Japanese 1LDK (1 bedroom) apartments that the living and dining room are the same space.

Like again, that's what I mean cart-before-the-horse. If you could sell just the HMD and sit on the couch or lay in bed and still use it, it would have utility. But the reality is that you need space that most people who do not own a house do not have to actually do anything you can't already do sitting at a desk and a conventional computer screen.  Why pay money for this toy when the PC already gives you an experience you're not going to be be vomiting all over the floor within 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Right, and when you are selling it as needing an entire living room (something that apartments haven't had since the 80's), the amount of people who see any utility in it drops to people who own obnoxiously large homes. Forget about those dinky Japanese 1LDK (1 bedroom) apartments that the living and dining room are the same space.

Like again, that's what I mean cart-before-the-horse. If you could sell just the HMD and sit on the couch or lay in bed and still use it, it would have utility. But the reality is that you need space that most people who do not own a house do not have to actually do anything you can't already do sitting at a desk and a conventional computer screen.  Why pay money for this toy when the PC already gives you an experience you're not going to be be vomiting all over the floor within 30 minutes.

Probably doesn't help that the average homeowner is probably not the target demographic for VR. When I think of who VR is marketed towards I think of younger gamers and generally they don't own houses. Not to say there aren't any that do but it feels like vr is always going to be niche the way it currently is. 

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

I can see the meeting where the engineers told Zucky they just can't have polygons. Zucky was like: "Drop the legs, and restrict avatars to poor copies of nintendo wii avatars. It's not like our target audience can tell the difference."

To me the most offensive sins of corporate metaverses is that the best they can come up with are square gray corporate meeting rooms... I dread meetings IRL, why would I choose that as a metaverse destination 8h a day?
Mark Zuckerberg Announces Horizon Workrooms, Pushes for Metaverse

I'd rather have the inchoerent mess of avatar and art styles of VR chat, and that's saying something:
VRChat on Steam

Just how artistically empty do you have to be that in an unbound world, the best you can come up with is a square gray room with a table? Give me an office in a space station with view above Pandora at least...
The best Oculus Rift virtual reality games on the way

18 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

I can see the meeting where the engineers told Zucky they just can't have polygons. Zucky was like: "Drop the legs, and restrict avatars to poor copies of nintendo wii avatars. It's not like our target audience can tell the difference."

To me the most offensive sins of corporate metaverses is that the best they can come up with are square gray corporate meeting rooms... I dread meetings IRL, why would I choose that as a metaverse destination 8h a day?
Mark Zuckerberg Announces Horizon Workrooms, Pushes for Metaverse

Really, I think facebook didn't understand, and didn't want to understand what people wanted from VR, and seriously thought they invented it and everyone should embrace their vision for it.

"Ready Player one"? is a lot closer to VRChat in reality. And that is actually say a lot of negative things about reality.

Hell even the description sounds like the current hellscape.

In 2045, the planet is on the brink of chaos and collapse, but people find salvation in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by James Halliday. When Halliday dies, he promises his immense fortune to the first person to discover a digital Easter egg that's hidden somewhere in the OASIS. When young Wade Watts joins the contest, he finds himself becoming an unlikely hero in a reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical world of mystery, discovery and danger.

So, 12 years away from that. It (the film) came out 5 years ago. The book came out 12 years ago.

The guy who created OASIS, is basically Richard Garriot (the guy who basically created the CRPG genre, most notable for Ultima Online) with the reclusiveness of Howard Hughes.

Facebook owner Mark Zuckerberg is no Richard Garriot. Horizon worlds is soulless, aimless and essentially an extremely poor replica of anything representing real life. Richard Garriot's games (at least 6,7, and UO) replicated entire crafting processes long before minecraft (2011) was ever a thing.

It could be said that if someone wanted a functional replica of reality in VR, the model to use would have been Ultima (where the the entire steps to making bread existed, albeit simplified. Harvest the wheat with the correct tool, grind the wheat into flour with a grind stone mill, take the flour to a kitchen and add water to create dough, and then put the dough in the oven to get a baked bread.) 

But for some reason "metaverse" proponets think we should have a virtual walmart that works exactly like the real walmart. 

I still look at this video and go "why would I spend money on this experience?"

The only VR games being played on Twitch are VRChat, and sometimes Beatsaber. Nothing else. As far as twitch is concerned Horizon Worlds doesn't exist.

Cool. Looking forward to reviews on the battery life and the capability of the wifi chip onboard. Currently it's a bit limited, not even 1Gbps, which makes it hard to push high res PC games at the highest quality settings (with virtual desktop) to it. Here's hoping it also support AV1 decoding or something like it for future streaming capabilities.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'll just add that while space can be a major issue for people, my 2 absolute favorite VR experiences have been sitting down and playing Subnautica and Elite Dangerous with a KB/M while wearing the headset. 

Full VR experiences, with full motion controls can be amazing, but they can also be the most likely experiences to be a neat parlor trick and then have the headset sit on a shelf and collect dust. Not for me, a VR enthusiast, but for the casual player. 

But people often forget that you don't need motion controls to have a good time. I really hope more "regular" games support VR, and the mods keep coming, because at the end of the day, that's how I'm able to better use my VR, especially for long period, more often. I don't always want to move my coffee table, and stand and flail my arms.

I wish all first person games would support 3D and Headlooking, while letting you play with traditional controls. I know I personally would potentially still buy a headset, even if that's all that it did.

I'm not really responding to any person or point in particular, but just wanted to point out a way that I feel would be the most mainstream way for people (or at least PC gamers) to enjoy a headset, especially with more software support. People seem to forget you can do it like that.

What I care about is color accuracy and pixel density on the panels being used since I use my Quest 2 for PC gaming using Virtual Desktop anyways, so I don't care how powerful the new processor is.

Guess I'm not upgrading this time around, was hoping for panels that are substantially better that could warrant an upgrade not subjected to paying a grand for a new one.

42 minutes ago, strajk- said:

What I care about is color accuracy and pixel density on the panels being used since I use my Quest 2 for PC gaming using Virtual Desktop anyways, so I don't care how powerful the new processor is.

Guess I'm not upgrading this time around, was hoping for panels that are substantially better that could warrant an upgrade not subjected to paying a grand for a new one.

90% my use case too. I have a quest 2, but I also have a Quest 1 laying around the house that I upgraded from. Having 2 headsetS is pretty great for the occasional guest and some multiplayer VR with my daughter.

So I was still looking to this announcement with interest (to possibly get rid of my Q1 and have a 2 and a 3). But it remains to be seen if the cost will be worth the upgrade for my primary headset, for PCVR. And for a spare second player headset that sees occasional use, I'm probably better off getting another discounted Q2 down the line instead. 

We'll see though. I'll wait for more details and some hands on reviews. 

3 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

I wish all first person games would support 3D and Headlooking, while letting you play with traditional controls. I know I personally would potentially still buy a headset, even if that's all that it did.

I'm not really responding to any person or point in particular, but just wanted to point out a way that I feel would be the most mainstream way for people (or at least PC gamers) to enjoy a headset, especially with more software support. People seem to forget you can do it like that.

Headlooking doesn't require a HMD. It can be done with:

- A smartphone (ARKit)

- A webcam (OpenCV-dlib)

- Tobii EyeTracker

Vtubers don't even use HMD's because most of them don't support useful tracking points. Only the Vive Pro (or focus 3 with an optional part) has these features, and even then, an iPhone beats it in performance. Varjo also has a few models that support eye and mouth tracking.

Meanwhile, Meta's HMD's ? None. I think one of them (Quest Pro?) had finger tracking, and that was about it. Others you had to add a Leapmotion controller to get that.

Like overall, there is a wide enough gap between "useful HMD" and "niche product" that what is often seen represented in film, television and anime is widely exaggerated from what the products will ever be capable of. Like we are certainly never getting near "The Matrix" or "Sword Art Online" levels of VR, where kit interfaces with the body in a way that it could kill it. Product safety regulations would never let it happen even if it was viable.

But we should be able to get beyond "needing a 10m x 10m living room" to use the products, and part of that requires removing the need for external radio parts. Given how much WiFi stuff is already present, you'd think that a HMD could use WiFi to triangulate it's position and orientation.

26 minutes ago, Kisai said:

- A smartphone (ARKit)

- A webcam (OpenCV-dlib)

- Tobii EyeTracker

Vtubers don't even use HMD's because most of them don't support useful tracking points. Only the Vive Pro (or focus 3 with an optional part) has these features, and even then, an iPhone beats it in performance. Varjo also has a few models that support eye and mouth tracking.

Meanwhile, Meta's HMD's ? None. I think one of them (Quest Pro?) had finger tracking, and that was about it. Others you had to add a Leapmotion controller to get that.

I think that's all very different than what I'm talking about. I've seen external accessories that allow head looking for flight/space sims, etc and while they look very cool, for the price you're half way to a quest, and they don't do nearly the same thing. It's the 3D immersion that it's all about. Unless there's some way to use a smartphone and google cardboard as a PC monitor I'm not aware of, but then there's no way the experience will compare to using a sub $500 Quest to play these games.

8 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

I think that's all very different than what I'm talking about. I've seen external accessories that allow head looking for flight/space sims, etc and while they look very cool, for the price you're half way to a quest, and they don't do nearly the same thing. It's the 3D immersion that it's all about. Unless there's some way to use a smartphone and google cardboard as a PC monitor I'm not aware of, but then there's no way the experience will compare to using a sub $500 Quest to play these games.

No, you're right, a VR HMD would be a better experience in this regard, but the actual "head look" with a smartphone or an eyetracker with a big enough monitor is equivalent in this case.

Like, I do not have space for a 50" television/monitor.  A VR HMD to me would only be useful to play something like Elite Dangerous or American Truck Simulator because there is functionality that the HMD offers, even if it's flat, that makes it functionally better than large monitors, because there would be less neck strain. But because the HMD is heavy and sometimes imbalanced, that's completely negated.

17 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

my 2 absolute favorite VR experiences have been sitting down and playing Subnautica and Elite Dangerous with a KB/M while wearing the headset. 

I won't lie. I'd love to play RPGs like No Mans Sky and Skyrim in VR.

I can afford it, I don't buy a VR headset specifically because I don't want to support the Metaverse fraud. Once all VCs have given up on the Metaverse buzzword, and the buzzword is as dead as Disco/3DTV and VCs have given up on selling you digital land and phigital clothes and have given up on blockchain gaming, I'll consider buying a VR headset.
image.png.55938b8d17cf5866fa360919ccce01e7.png

Oh Boy i can't wait to play Beatsaber on this for around 3 months and then lose interest because of the state of VR developement in general

11 minutes ago, Isuck Assimov said:

Oh Boy i can't wait to play Beatsaber on this for around 3 months and then lose interest because of the state of VR developement in general

Nah, you're not looking hard enough, there are a ton of great games. I've been playing VR at least one, if not multiple days a week for about a year now, and still have quite the backlog/wishlist. 

Could it have more and better support among mainstream, AAA household name games? Absolutely. But between the "real games" that do support VR, and the list of lesser known absolutely stellar VR titles, there should be more than enough to keep a real lover of VR going for some time. 

I found enough joy that when I upgraded to my Quest 2, I kept my Quest 1 instead of bothering to sell it, because, while VR took gaming to another level for me, when you play some local co-op with your kids/buddies, it really takes it to another, another level. lol. 

Your point isn't totally wrong though, for helping to get the average joe or casual gamer more interested. But then those people are probably never going to be the "play it multiple times a week on an ongoing basis" people anyways, I expect.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:39 PM, Kisai said:

- A smartphone (ARKit)

- A webcam (OpenCV-dlib)

- Tobii EyeTracker

Like overall, there is a wide enough gap between "useful HMD" and "niche product" that what is often seen represented in film, television and anime is widely exaggerated from what the products will ever be capable of. Like we are certainly never getting near "The Matrix" or "Sword Art Online" levels of VR, where kit interfaces with the body in a way that it could kill it. Product safety regulations would never let it happen even if it was viable.

But we should be able to get beyond "needing a 10m x 10m living room" to use the products, and part of that requires removing the need for external radio parts. Given how much WiFi stuff is already present, you'd think that a HMD could use WiFi to triangulate it's position and orientation.

Nothing more enjoyable than playing my flight sims in VR (DCS, IL2). Eyetracking cant compare to a good immersive experience (have used both).

And the quest 2 has hand tracking....its had it for years. and you dont need a huge room, hell, most of the games I play in VR are just sitting down (though I am heavily invested in flight sims). But even games I play standing up (beat saber for example), I play in a small office. I have no issues doing it.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

On 6/3/2023 at 9:21 AM, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

is as dead as Disco

Wait, what! 👀 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio