is 32gb of ram still considered overkill?

Go to solution Solved by porina,

For gaming I wouldn't rate it as essential on DDR4 but some newer games at higher settings have been recommending above 16GB, so it is probably time to consider it on a new build. I'd say it was essential on DDR5 as 8GB modules are probably 1Rx16 configuration which basically sucks. 2x16GB is the first to not suck.

For non-gaming uses, if you need it, you need it. If you don't, you don't.

I have been wondering if 32gb of ddr4 ram (at least in my use case) would be considered overkill?

I like to play with virtual machines (running windows server on them to learn server administration at the moment ^^;) and I do code from time to time (c/c++), but outside of that I just game at 1080p with medium/high settings (I currently use 16gb of ddr4 3000mhz ram)

what do you think? I am happy to hear your thoughts on this ^^

For gaming I wouldn't rate it as essential on DDR4 but some newer games at higher settings have been recommending above 16GB, so it is probably time to consider it on a new build. I'd say it was essential on DDR5 as 8GB modules are probably 1Rx16 configuration which basically sucks. 2x16GB is the first to not suck.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

on the topic of ddr5, is it worth buying for a future build? does it affect performance significantly?

Just now, strawberrygirl said:

on the topic of ddr5, is it worth buying for a future build? does it affect performance significantly?

Much like transitional ages back in DDR to DDR2, DDR2 to DDR3, and DDR3 to DDR4, not yet.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

You'll have to look up tests for things you care about how performance stacks up. To me, for a new high end build I'd go DDR5 for sure. If you want AMD CPU, you have no choice anyway. While Intel does still support DDR4 for now, I feel like that might only be an interesting option if you happen to have a lot of high performance DDR4 spare. I wouldn't be buying it new at this point.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

id say 32gb is becoming the new minimum if you multitask

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

I have in a few games seen RAM usage above 16GB, actually 20GB. I do however have a few programs running in the background always but not many. So IMO, I would not only buy 16GB today but 32GB as a minimum. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

On 6/1/2023 at 3:21 AM, BetteBalterZen said:

I have in a few games seen RAM usage above 16GB, actually 20GB. I do however have a few programs running in the background always but not many. So IMO, I would not only buy 16GB today but 32GB as a minimum. 

Goes right to what I've said before about what's "Enough" today not being so tomorrow.

Up until recent times it's been said 16GB's was enough but my response was requirements will only increase as time passes - If you have plans on running the machine you have now it's smart to plan ahead and consider these requirements we all know will be. Thing is we can't really predict when that would be but you can be ready for it, grabbing 32GB's is a good move right now and helps to ensure the machine can and will operate well at least for a few years no matter what programs/apps, games and whatever else comes along.

Alos don't forget with each new iteration of an OS minimium RAM requirements just to operate goes up too, trying to run Win 10 on 2GB's is pratically impossible, on Win 7 it can be done but it suffers and Win XP runs it just fine.

Since all that we've had Win 11 to come out and now Win 12 is in the works so..... Do the math, follow the obvious trend and you'll see 32GB's right now is indeed a good choice if you can get it.

In fact I'm going to say at this time onward, 64GB's may be worth considering if you can afford it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Not Overkill, but also not absolutely neccessary. 24gb would be a perfect sweetspot.

Some Games today want a LOT of Ram. And Vram. Sometimes only the Game itself can use 7-8gb Ram alone.

It will be okay, if you close Applications for Gaming, but if you like to keep everything open, alot of Tabs, 16gb will start giving you Error messages, if your Pagefile is low (<3gb maybe). I had this once with Rise of the Tomb Raider, 16gb Ram, and 3gb Pagefile to safe SSD storage.

Windows gave me a "not enough Ram, close Firefox" message. It got better, once i increased Pagefile to 8-16gb, i still did upgrade tho.

If you use your Computer for 1 thing, 16 is fine.

If you like to Multitask, go for 32 and be happy for the next x Years.

If it's DDR4. Ram has gotten really cheap. Go for 32.

For what you described, 16gb might work, but go for 32.

For the highest end gaming build 32GB is standard now and 64GB would be overkill. 

For other tasks overkill is only defined by what your needs are. 

When I was running 16GB of RAM on The Last of Us Part 1 I'd have to close down everything else before launching the game or I'd get massive stutter. It may be first but certainly won't be the last that 16GB is insufficient for. With DDR4 RAM so cheap right now it's nuts to not go for 32GB. Only cost me $68 to get a 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 kit with Samsung chips about a month and a half ago.