Chair reccomendations

Aracore

Currently, I am in a DXRacer chair, which was great for the first year or so. but now it has played hell with my back as I spend a lot of time in it working.

I am interested to what the general opinion is on what sort of chair to be going for and what the benefits of the various kinds are.

That's really hard to say. Everyone's body is different so different chairs will fit you better than the next or worse than the next guy.

I have a dxracer king series and an Anda Dark Knight chairs I've used (I'm a bigger guy). I've had to buy seat cushions but otherwise they have held up quite well.

Ergonomic office chairs will work as well.

Your budget will also be a factor as chairs range quite a bit especially for ergonomic ones.

Humanscale are a good option but pricey.

If there's some local furniture place that has display models you can sit in would be the best option to test and see what kind of chair is most comfortable to you.

I've had great luck with Maxnomic but yeah, your mileage will absolutely vary. The only way to know for sure is to try a bunch of different ones. If you have friends with a variety of chairs try those. But ultimately you may have to just gamble. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Find a local store that has a showroom to test them out. 

Find one that fits your body and budget. 

A good office chair is worth the investment!

Really any non-racing look ones. Aside from top expensive ones, there are mesh ones that are great. I have Neueuchair and I like it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'd go for an ergonomic office chair. Yes, they might not have the style or look more boring, but as you might have experienced the real value of a chair is when you don't notice it even after a few hours sitting in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. This is the whole problem I have been having. 
I have been around places. sat in a LOT of comfortable chairs.  Hell. Even my DXRacer was the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in... until it wasn't, but you don't find this stuff out until you have owned it a couple of years.

8 hours ago, geo3 said:

Bad advice. This lead to a string of bad office chairs for me. You can't judge a chair by sitting in it for 5min. 

Did I say to test it for 5 minutes?  No.

You can take longer to test a chair for 5 minutes.  You can take a laptop and test it out with a desk, and some 

What is your alternative solution then?  Just order online and hope it's comfy?

Pretty bold statement to say trying something in store is a bad idea without suggesting a superior alternative. 

On 6/22/2023 at 4:53 AM, ToboRobot said:

Did I say to test it for 5 minutes?  No.

You would need a minimum of an hour, ideally more, per chair. Are you just going to live at the store for a few days? 

On 6/22/2023 at 4:53 AM, ToboRobot said:

Pretty bold statement to say trying something in store is a bad idea without suggesting a superior alternative. 

Follow reviews and suggestions of people who have tried many chairs 

7 hours ago, geo3 said:

You would need a minimum of an hour, ideally more, per chair. Are you just going to live at the store for a few days? 

Is every chair in your budget?  Does every chair match your rooms decor?  

Apply some sort of filter, and narrow down your selection to a few potential options.  You might realize some chairs aren't comfy in a few minutes as your adjust them.  

Reviews and suggestions are ok to narrow down the list, but if you are paying hundreds or thousands of dollars on something to sit on for years, it makes sense to ensure it fits you.

It's like buying a car.  You don't test drive every model, you make a small list based on budget, style, features and do some comparative research reading reviews etc, and then you test drive a short list.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:45 PM, geo3 said:

How do people try many chairs completely and have the ability to share the opinions objectively?