Netflix rolls out new sharing rules for US customers

Lord Bloobus
On 6/1/2023 at 12:16 PM, jagdtigger said:

Even netflix is guilty of that with their asinine requirements...... (Like back in the w7 days it forced me to use IE otherwise i wouldnt get FHD, now they want to dictate even the HW with 4k..... (Meanwhile the old PC i had with a 4670k just shrugged off 4k bluerays like its nothing.)

It's still like this you have to use their windows app to get anything above like 480p resolution.   They act like it's going to do anything to prevent piracy when it's literally pushed me to just say "fuck it I'm going to pirate this so I can watch 4K without some bullshit app".

And for the record I cancelled my top-tier netflix plan because of this.  It was only worth it to me if I could get someone else to help me utilize the account. 

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 5/28/2023 at 6:48 AM, Donut417 said:

These media companies are so out of touch and dont fucking get it. They had a formula that worked, Netflix was reducing piracy across America. It was affordable and offered a lot of content and you could share it so it was always worth a purchase. Instead these media companies went out of their way to screw over the paying customer. Either by making extra streaming services, or using stupid DRM schemes. 

I mean look at ATSC 3.0. It has been reported that in several markets they have started implementing DRM. So boxes like the HD Homerun cant access the channels with DRM currently. Well thats how me and my family get our OTA TV thru Plex. While they claim they are working on solutions, they are going to find a way to screw us over. 

That's the thing... It DID work... until everyone decided "we can do that" and spun up their own streaming service... Now we're back to cable TV. Now that everyone isn't going straight to them anymore I'm not surprised that they are doing everything in their power to increase revenue. They can't convince more people to join so they have to extract more money from the people who are already reliant on them.

4 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

That's the thing... It DID work... until everyone decided "we can do that" and spun up their own streaming service... Now we're back to cable TV. Now that everyone isn't going straight to them anymore I'm not surprised that they are doing everything in their power to increase revenue. They can't convince more people to join so they have to extract more money from the people who are already reliant on them.

Yeah it's an interesting problem. People like to blame Netflix for example, but 10 years ago, Netflix did succeed at exactly that. They were pretty much the only streaming game in town, and they had pretty much everything. If you could stream it, it was probably on Netflix.

Then, each studio realized "Hey, why pay Netflix for this when I can do it myself?"

Now we have Hulu, Paramount+, AppleTV+, Disney+, Prime Video, etc, and yes. It's going straight back to Cable TV but in some ways worse, because at least you could get all your bullshit channels in one subscription with Cable.

The only way I see this solving itself in the long run is via regulation forcing studios to license out their media after a set amount of time (Eg: They can have one year of exclusivity, then if Netflix wants to license it, you can't stop them). And how would that even work? Each country would need to do that independently (though the EU may help force something like that along faster).

Alternatively we what... wait for market pressures? Those pressures don't seem to be working.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Now we have Hulu, Paramount+, AppleTV+, Disney+, Prime Video, etc, and yes. It's going straight back to Cable TV but in some ways worse, because at least you could get all your bullshit channels in one subscription with Cable.

Yeah, this led me to build an entire media server and a Synology instead of dealing with all this mess.  Also, I have ATSC3 tuner support but don't use it at all because I can't record off them in Plex...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yup, and they even have the audacity to cry about piracy being on the rise again. No shit sherlock........

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The only way I see this solving itself in the long run is via regulation forcing studios to license out their media after a set amount of time (Eg: They can have one year of exclusivity, then if Netflix wants to license it, you can't stop them). And how would that even work? Each country would need to do that independently (though the EU may help force something like that along faster).

Problem with that is that they can just do what Reddit is doing and set the price to the F you price that no other platform can reasonably afford it. And what, would you regulate the prices people have to license their movies. It’s just unreasonable. 

As much as I hate to admit it (and no, I am not advocating anyone do this) the solution is piracy. Back before on demand streaming services hit the scene piracy was a really big problem. Then the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll solved that problem by providing a reasonable and affordable way to watch the shows you want to legally. 

The only way to stop a shitty service is to not buy it, and the only way to stop people from not paying for your good/services is to make what you are offering a good and reasonable value. Again, I’m not advocating people pirate content. If anything just stop using the service and find something else to do with your time besides watching Movies or TV shows. But eventually enough people will be pirating that the market will find a reasonable solution or die trying. 

Netflix has been crap for the past few years anyway. The originals are generally quite bad, and the decent ones get cancelled so they may as well not exist. The only reason I had Netflix was because I was on my brother's account, and there's no way I'm paying for it now I've been kicked out.

Prime Video has gone to the shitter since they moved all the good stuff over to Freevee or whatever it's called these days. If it wasn't included with Prime I certainly wouldn't pay for it. 

As much as I'm a Disney hater, I must admit Disney+ is the one I would continue to pay for if I got kicked off my brother's account. There's a decent selection of non-Disney TV shows on there, I've been rewatching NCIS and Criminal Minds, it's just a shame NCIS:LA is on Now TV here in the UK, and I don't pay for that.

The only subscriptions I personally pay for is YouTube Premium, ITVX and Channel4. The key thing they're all free services with ads, and you can pay to remove them. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I refuse to pay for Disney+ on principle at this point 🤣

Netflix who?  🏴‍☠️

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

On 6/23/2023 at 12:51 AM, r00tb33r said:

Netflix who?  🏴‍☠️

That alternative is not available to everyone. Because some nations have laws against it. Also, you risk catching something nasty on your PC if you're not careful. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

you risk catching something nasty on your PC if you're not careful. 

Same as simply browsing the web even if you do not go to sketchy sites (malwertising campaign on google, infected legit sites etc).....

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

you risk catching something nasty

That's what I keep condoms for.

Everything else I'm not worried about.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

On 6/25/2023 at 6:35 PM, Donut417 said:

That alternative is not available to everyone. Because some nations have laws against it. Also, you risk catching something nasty on your PC if you're not careful. 

Videos/music is fairly safe, EXE files for apps not so much.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator