Which CPU? 12700K or 5800X?

So I wanna get a new CPU (games, streaming, homework, maybe some music for fun) but I don't know which one.

Some info:
Games: COD Warzone/MW, CSGO, FIFA 23, Minecraft (Win10/Java)

Resolution/Settings: 1440p, High/Very High/Ultra

GPU & RAM: RTX 4080, 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x16GB)
MBs: B550 or X570 / Z690

if you are sticking to last gen my simple quick answer would be 5800X3D if it for gaming. and if you go AMD then X570 but the s series as those with an s X570s do not have the tiny fan blasting air on the Chipset after AMD improved the Agesa.

16 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

if you are sticking to last gen my simple quick answer would be 5800X3D if it for gaming. and if you go AMD then X570 but the s series as those with an s X570s do not have the tiny fan blasting air on the Chipset after AMD improved the Agesa.

The 5900X is $70 more. Is it a worth-it upgrade or should I stick to the 5800X 3D?

15 minutes ago, Rob_dog said:

The 5900X is $70 more. Is it a worth-it upgrade or should I stick to the 5800X 3D?

Only get 5900X if you have use for 12-core. For games the 5800X3D is still one of the best CPUs.

If you want Intel I would suggest the 13600K rather than 12700K.

image.thumb.png.4d15ac78a18484afa32c4399a7956d03.png

The 13600k is also much better for productivity than 5800X3D... usually right between the 5900X which is slightly faster and 12700k which is slightly slower.

51 minutes ago, Rob_dog said:

So I wanna get a new CPU (games, streaming, homework, maybe some music for fun) but I don't know which one.

Some info:

I'd buy 12th gen because it is a current platform, and I am a bit biased toward Intel. 

But it's more complex than that, you should look at CPU pricing, mobo pricing, etc.

I only recommend ryzen 3000, 4000 and 4000 series to users on an extremely tight budget.

8 minutes ago, KEIN NEIN said:

I'd buy 12th gen because it is a current platform, and I am a bit biased toward Intel. 

But it's more complex than that, you should look at CPU pricing, mobo pricing, etc.

I only recommend ryzen 3000, 4000 and 4000 series to users on an extremely tight budget.

5800x3d is about 250 rn. A pretty good mobo I found is like 230

For gaming the 5800X3d is about 10% better than the 5900x which i use right now.

I built my rig about 3 months before the 5800X3D was released so bad luck for me 🙂

Quick Edit... AMD is very efficient and uses less power generates less heat is is so much easier to cool. I built a full custom water loop as I like water cooling but I did run the 5900x with a simple air cooler no issue or overheating at all whilst waiting on my ordered components to arrive.

Also the AMD CPUs are very capable for running a lot of regualr desktop software at very low power consumption. My 5900x is drawing right now as I type this repl y only 29watts of power and i have about 15 tabs open in Chrome as I was watching some youtube and doing some basic research on a couple of tech items i am interested in right now.

44 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

For gaming the 5800X3d is about 10% better than the 5900x which i use right now.

I built my rig about 3 months before the 5800X3D was released so bad luck for me 🙂

Quick Edit... AMD is very efficient and uses less power generates less heat is is so much easier to cool. I built a full custom water loop as I like water cooling but I did run the 5900x with a simple air cooler no issue or overheating at all whilst waiting on my ordered components to arrive.

Also the AMD CPUs are very capable for running a lot of regualr desktop software at very low power consumption. My 5900x is drawing right now as I type this repl y only 29watts of power and i have about 15 tabs open in Chrome as I was watching some youtube and doing some basic research on a couple of tech items i am interested in right now.

They are quite efficient. I just wished that Zen 4 supported both DDR4 and DDR5.

50 minutes ago, Rob_dog said:

They are quite efficient. I just wished that Zen 4 supported both DDR4 and DDR5.

Right now the options are last gen and benefit from great prices on what was the flagship tech or adopt the latest gen and start out in the lower to mid tier for approximately the same price and level of performance. Myself I am looking to upgrade in about 18 - 24 months from now as the teething for the new gen will be over Already the 2nd release cycle of AMD cpus has greatly improved power efficiency.

I think a year or so from now is going to be the sweet spot for myself to start researching my next upgrade as my rig is a 5900x with RTX 3080 which is plenty strong enough for another year or 2. DDR5 is quite interesting but for a gaming rig I don't really see a need to worry too much. Most of the workload is at a GPU level and so long as a CPU can keep up with pushing the GPU without a bottleneck I am happy to just sit with what i have. 

Sometimes tech just delivers something worth hanging on to. my intel 8700k and 1080ti were a prime example. I certainly got good vale for my investment on that rig.

Right now I find myself in a similar situation....fast enough eye candy in games is perfectly fine and overall any further upgrade on my side is too high in cost for quite small returns.

7 hours ago, Rob_dog said:

Some info:

You dont have a board yet or what? If your board has a beefy enough VRM that can handle the current and thermal load id definitely go for 5800X3D upgrade instead of hopping platform.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I like my 5900X better than my X3D. All the reviews show out of box performance.. the 5900X can be tweaked pretty hard. And if you play at higher resolutions the 5900X is better.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

You dont have a board yet or what? If your board has a beefy enough VRM that can handle the current and thermal load id definitely go for 5800X3D upgrade instead of hopping platform.

I'm not sure whether to go B550 or X570. I might go X570 but I don't know.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

I like my 5900X better than my X3D. All the reviews show out of box performance.. the 5900X can be tweaked pretty hard. And if you play at higher resolutions the 5900X is better.

the 5900X can be tweaked more than the X3D?

2 minutes ago, Rob_dog said:

the 5900X can be tweaked more than the X3D?

Heck yeah. 5900X can boost to 5150 on multiple cores. When you install an X3D, you basically turn your rig into a Dell. You can tune your if/mclk, and your curve to get it to boost to 4450..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's