Toyota - Lets keep this private database public for a decade

wanderingfool2

Showing just how far back some car companies are when it comes to utilizing technology, Toyota has kept a database containing a decade of information regarding GPS data and images from the vehicle public through a server configuration error.  This affects about 2 million owners, limited to Japan for now, and is topped out as the 3rd data breach Toyota has discovered in the last few years.  The cause of this issue, an accidental misconfiguration that set a private server public, and not running any credential checks so passwords weren't needed. Some news reports claim the database being exposed publicly for the last decade, but I am chalking it up to lost in translation because I would find it very alarming for it to be exposed for 10 years.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/toyota-car-location-data-of-2-million-customers-exposed-for-ten-years/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-data-breach-japan-australia-not-affected/

Toyota Motor Corporation disclosed a data breach on its cloud environment that exposed the car-location information of 2,150,000 customers for ten years, between November 6, 2013, and April 17, 2023.

According to a security notice published in the company's Japanese newsroom, the data breach resulted from a database misconfiguration that allowed anyone to access its contents without a password.

This is quite a facepalm moment, not only did they set it public but allowing access to a database without a password.  Even a simple security audit or testing of the server should have caught a mistake like that, and if it's true that it's been a decade of it being publicly facing and without a password that is just crazy.  I'm willing to admit that the decade portion of the story might be a lost in translation bit, or at least I hope it is otherwise I will have lost all faith in Toyota's software capabilities.  My guess is that they stored a decade of information, but still that's pretty bad.  If it was open for a decade though, good luck on trying to figure out who was compromised during that time the logs probably are long gone.

Still it's a bit ridiculous that they only now are introducing a processes to do security audits of the cloud services...that's something that should be have being done day one when collecting information regarding customers.  Then again based on the experiences I've had with Toyota's infotainment they are stuck in an old era.

This also comes after they experienced a breach in a similar system back in October (this time relating to a third party provider...but still...think it would alert them to tighten up their security then) also another breach of their system in November.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

4 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

More reason to just buy a used car that doesnt have any smart garbage that can track ppl not to mention $ saved and easier to modify

best cars hands down are 90s cars, Toyota, Subaru, Chevy, Mercedes, Volvo, Ferrari, Lamborghini,  VW, etc... i like especially the Japanese ones, they look like hifi stereos (with AWD xD)

VW had very good models especially around 2000... Phaeton (sp) and Passat, which was actually nearly identical but only cost a fraction (Phaeton was 1 millon bucks btw lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

More reason to just buy a used car that doesnt have any smart garbage that can track ppl not to mention $ saved and easier to modify

That's going to greatly depend on how much you drive.  The fuel economy of older vehicles without the newer technology can be quite poor, based on what I have seen looking around you are looking at about 20%-30% less mpg.  So if you are filling up once a month, the difference would be a few hundred $ a year in operating cost.  If you are a frequent driver you could be talking about a thousand in a year.  (Not to mention that the older vehicle likely has more wear and tear on components)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

12 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

That's going to greatly depend on how much you drive.  The fuel economy of older vehicles without the newer technology can be quite poor, based on what I have seen looking around you are looking at about 20%-30% less mpg.  So if you are filling up once a month, the difference would be a few hundred $ a year in operating cost.  If you are a frequent driver you could be talking about a thousand in a year.  (Not to mention that the older vehicle likely has more wear and tear on components)

Yes, kinda true (unless we're considering that older diesel-powered car exist also and are extremely efficient if you do longer routes), but you also forget that newer cars require maintenance as well and this is only done in authorized service centers which costs a small fortune each time and it's designed to be that way. With an older one you can buy used or non-original replacement parts for a fraction of a price. And you even could do most of the maintenance at your friend's workshop for next to nothing in terms of cost.
Besides, modern engines especially those in Europe due to ridiculous climate-related policies are now all tiny and turbocharged, which directly translates into low durability. A good older engine that's larger would do three times the total mileage of a new, small one.

There's also the fact, that no government would be able to remotely disable your car 🙂 It's a nice peace of mind to have imo too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

best cars hands down are 90s cars

I ask for the impossible. I want a simple car with the basics such as: power steering, power windows, manual (stick) transmission, a double DIN radio mount (ease of upgrade later), AC and heat /w replaceable air filter, basic ABS brakes with no traction control.

The engine can be a modern V6 or a belt driven supercharged 4 banger (doesn't require high octane unless you really want the extra ponies.).

All of the extra computers, trackers / sensors, infotainment, heated seats, basically all of the luxury accoutrements prone to failure or obsolescence can be withheld. Do not want!

A car should be reasonably simple, affordable, and relatively easy to work on that doesn't require a whole kit of custom tools and dealer diagnostic equipment.

5 hours ago, StDragon said:

ask for the impossible. I want a simple car with the basics such as: power steering, power windows, manual (stick) transmission, a double DIN radio mount (ease of upgrade later), AC and heat /w replaceable air filter, basic ABS brakes with no traction control.

well the 90s cars had all that iirc, typically you could turn on/off traction control even...

We had a "basic" Clio...with Recaro seats 👀 

Official top speed was 170kmh... weight 600kg ... but it was actually 200kmh... and it was fun to drive, no abs, power steering etc, it didn't need it, it was like a go-cart (600kg!!!)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I see a lot of people talking about things they don't know a lot about like they know a lot about these things.

I've lost one friend to a car accident before age 30. I talked to my parents about that at the time. They lost about 5 friends each to car accidents before age 30.