Ex-Ubiquiti engineer behind “breathtaking” data theft gets 6-year prison term

Summary

An ex-Ubiquiti engineer, Nickolas Sharp, was sentenced to six years in prison yesterday after pleading guilty in a New York court to stealing tens of gigabytes of confidential data, demanding a $1.9 million ransom from his former employer, and then publishing the data publicly when his demands were refused.

Quotes

Sharp began working as a Ubiquiti senior software engineer and "Cloud Lead" in 2018, where he was paid $250,000 annually and had tasks including software development and cloud infrastructure security. About two years into the gig, Sharp purchased a VPN subscription to Surfshark in July 2020 and then seemingly began hunting for another job. By December 9, 2020, he'd lined up another job. The next day, he used his Ubiquiti security credentials to test his plan to copy data repositories while masking his IP address by using Surfshark.

Less than two weeks later, Sharp executed his plan, and he might have gotten away with it if not for a "slip-up" he never could have foreseen. While copying approximately 155 data repositories, an Internet outage temporarily disabled his VPN. When Internet service was restored, unbeknownst to Sharp, Ubiquiti logged his home IP address before the VPN tool could turn back on.

My thoughts

This was coming for him. More than this, he even tried to feed this fake breach info to Krebs on Security who wrote multiple articles defaming Ubiquiti causing their stock to tumble as per their own words. I remember this was discussed last year in WAN show when this came out, so I hope we get to see final thoughts of Linus and Luke on WAN show on this final news.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/05/ex-ubiquiti-engineer-behind-breathtaking-data-theft-gets-6-year-prison-term/

When Internet service was restored, unbeknownst to Sharp, Ubiquiti logged his home IP address before the VPN tool could turn back on.

Lol what a newb:

That's what this button is for on my VPN so you don't leak your shit if it disconnects. image.png.975b5b811c4a58bd50f553eb40aa6d1b.png

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Ubiquiti isn't perfect as a company or a brand but... this guy... EUGH this guy. 

I prefer a less is more approach to criminal justice but I'm glad he's going to have time to think about why leaking million's of peoples' data is bad. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Honestly this guy needs to get more than 6 years in prison otherwise it is just another case of being able to be rewarded for crimes.

Had his power not restarted he wouldn't have been caught and the damage to Ubiquiti would have been great.  Even now it's still quite great in that some people still believe Ubiquiti was actually breached (instead of a rogue employee)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef