Can I even fix this?

JordB
Redditor u/superznova’s dreams were crushed when his new Gaming PC arrived looking like it had been run over by a bus.
Can we repair a computer with this much damage?

3 minutes ago, JordB said:
Redditor u/superznova’s dreams were crushed when his new Gaming PC arrived looking like it had been run over by a bus.
Can we repair a computer with this much damage?

Linus: 'Lets fix this'

Also Linus: *drops*

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Video production rushed?

We just get a "After further testing, several components were replaced before we shipped the PC" text message rather than video explanation? Components replaced because failed testing or out of good will? 

EDIT: Would have also been great to see how LTT packed the computer for shipment. 

Edited by ahuckphin
add extra thoughts

Reminds me of a couple of monitors we had shipped to our workplace via a freight courier and they were nice to "curve" it a nice 1000R for us free of charge using a forklift. The panel didn't survive, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, ahuckphin said:

Video production rushed?

We just get a "After further testing, several components were replaced before we shipped the PC" text message rather than video explanation? Components replaced because failed testing or out of good will? 

Honestly, I don't really understand the story of the video as a replacement should've been handled by either Shark Gaming or the courier alone. I'm no expert in European Law but if this tells me anything:

• The trader is responsible for any damage to the goods from the time of dispatch until you receive them.

I'd say Shark Gaming would've stepped up here way before LTT did anything. 

https://op.europa.eu/webpub/grow/factsheets/shopping-online/en/

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, ahuckphin said:

Video production rushed?

Also just would've liked to hear as to why it wasn't just sent back to the company? Did they refuse warranty or something?

Anything can be fixed if

(1) you are good enough

and/or

(2) you are rich enough

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

what parts were replaced?

Well, the case was the first piece, though I'm sure we could have made a whole video just about Linus smashing away at the old one to bash it back into shape!  We did reuse the original glass panel - I still have no idea how that survived - and the magnetic filter from the top of the case, though there's a tiny chunk taken out of one corner, and we would have salvaged two of the fans, but then Linus broken one.

The SSD didn't work at all, so that was replaced.  We think that when the GPU got loose in shipping it scrapped off at least two capacitors from the SSD.

The PSU was replaced for safety, though the crushed one does appear to be fully functional.

After finishing the shoot we started getting major video artificing, so the GPU was upgraded.  When looking at it closely it actually looks like the whole heatsink/cooler assembly was shoved over a millimeter or so. I suspect something is either broken or at least loose on that PCB as a result.

We also decided to replace the Motherboard and the AIO. They passed our tests, but ultimately u/superznova took a big chance and trusted us to make things right. Given how much bend there was in the motherboard - not to mention the damage on the outside of the PCIe slot - and how much the radiator had been twisted, it just didn't feel right to send something back that wasn't in perfect condition.

It's supposed to arrive back in Sweden this week, and I'm hoping we can update this post and let everyone know that it survived shipping this time!

TL;DR: SSD, MB, AIO, PSU, GPU, Most of the case.

MSI Should changed the sponsorship to ultra durability or something the board went through all of that and still worked is impressive.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

what parts were replaced?

one fan, the case and the ssd

51 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Anything can be fixed if

(1) you are good enough

and/or

(2) you are rich enough

unfortunately linus is only 1 of two of those things. Good thing he has Alex!

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Reminds me of a couple of monitors we had shipped to our workplace via a freight courier and they were nice to "curve" it a nice 1000R for us free of charge using a forklift. The panel didn't survive, unfortunately. 

Honestly, I don't really understand the story of the video as a replacement should've been handled by either Shark Gaming or the courier alone. I'm no expert in European Law but if this tells me anything:

As a dane and european, then it might be true by EU law that the trader as the respondability for any damage during shipment. However, much like most companies in US. Both the courier and the traders/companies will demand a proof that the package you got was damaged in shipment, and not when you already signed and got it. And that is more like them working against you as a customer as they try to claim that they didnt damage it, or it was fine when they shipped it.

Althought I dont have any problems with Postnord, with the few times I had used them to recive a package, then I had read news about them claiming to been at the shipping address and tried to deliver the package with no responds. Where they often just sits in the van and not had came out. Or delivered it at the wrong address.

It is also possible for Shark Gaming not knowing about this if the customer havent said anything to them. I dont blame either Shark Gaming or the person that brought the PC from them. What I just wonder is about how in the world it did damage like that in transit. A comment on the video did say a pallet, but most delivery vans in Denmark or the Nordic countries in general, dont have pallets loaded. And I dont know much about PostNord about them transporting packages between other Nordic countries. All I can say is that it looks like the case had been dropped on an edge or pressed against it to get that warpped and damage

Thank you very much for this great video and adventure! Cheers to Jake for reaching out and making it happen!

As for people discussing sending it back to sharkgaming - I did reach out to Sharkgaming the coming Monday (Post was made friday night, CS closed until monday morning) and they offered me money back or a new identical PC. I took me 1 week to decide what to do as I thought the offer from LTT was a scam at first. But then I decided to accept it, and what more than an upgraded PC I got a great story to tell my friends and others. I don't think sending it back to Sharkgaming would have been the smarter move here, however I did talk to them and tell them of my intentions of sending it over to LTT and the reasons why.

I do not blame sharkgaming for the PC being broken nor Postnord, shit happens I'm just glad it ended well! Cheers!

30 minutes ago, swimtome said:

Also just would've liked to hear as to why it wasn't just sent back to the company? Did they refuse warranty or something?

No, they did not, they accept it immediately. However, there was another option on the table so I decided to purchase the PC regardless of the damages and take a gamble on sending it over to LTT! 😄

12 minutes ago, Superznova said:

Thank you very much for this great video and adventure! Cheers to Jake for reaching out and making it happen!

As for people discussing sending it back to sharkgaming - I did reach out to Sharkgaming the coming Monday (Post was made friday night, CS closed until monday morning) and they offered me money back or a new identical PC. I took me 1 week to decide what to do as I thought the offer from LTT was a scam at first. But then I decided to accept it, and what more than an upgraded PC I got a great story to tell my friends and others. I don't think sending it back to Sharkgaming would have been the smarter move here, however I did talk to them and tell them of my intentions of sending it over to LTT and the reasons why.

I do not blame sharkgaming for the PC being broken nor Postnord, shit happens I'm just glad it ended well! Cheers!

Glad it worked out for you.  Certainly a very unique and special computer for you now!

You should post a setup photo of the complete machine in all it's glory!

10 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Glad it worked out for you.  Certainly a very unique and special computer for you now!

You should post a setup photo of the complete machine in all it's glory!

I for sure will, it is due to arrive on Tuesday around lunch!

1 hour ago, Danspy501st said:

What I just wonder is about how in the world it did damage like that in transit.

Postnord offers a "bulk shipping" service for those who ships out a lot of packages.
One puts all one's neatly packed boxes into a cage.
Then the carrier simply handles the whole cage as one unit until it reaches the post sorting warehouse. Saving greatly on handling costs since the currier doesn't have to handle each package individually during pickup.

When it reaches the warehouse, they don't manually unload the cage one box at a time and gently place it on a conveyor belt, since that would be way too slow...
They simply lift the whole cage up into the air, tips it over such that all contents drops onto a conveyor belt after a meter or so drop, before it goes on down the line to be scanned and sorted, likely suffering further (meter or so high) drops as they get put into other cages/carts for the next leg of their journey.

It is a beautifully simple and cost effective method of bulk handling packages. As long as said packages are small and mostly not containing heavy or fragile goods.
But larger boxes or more fragile products aren't in the slightest going to survive. (At least most packages won't see more than 2-3 of these drops, unless Postnord does their magic of having the box sent around the whole country 3 times over before finally getting delivered to the wrong post office at the opposite side of the country...)

(So I can't help but wonder how many people's products I wrecked when I had a 10+ kg bar of steel shipped to me in a very small box. The worker at the post office almost drop it on their own foot due to not expecting it to be that dense... And yes, the box did have shipping damage, but the bar didn't have a scratch.)

In the end.
I dread seeing that Postnord handles my packages. Now, most smaller packages goes through just fine. Sometimes they get stuck in a loop for a bit, sometimes they get mixed up with another package and never gets delivered... Other times there is major shipping damage since someone else's far too dense package decided to crush one's delivery. But over all, 80% of the time, things arrive just fine.

1 hour ago, Superznova said:

heyy its you

this PC definitely has a story, I remember seeing it on reddit and wondering did it get dropped from a plane

and not many people can say linus built them a PC so very cool story

update us when it arrives

2 hours ago, JordB said:

Well, the case was the first piece, though I'm sure we could have made a whole video just about Linus smashing away at the old one to bash it back into shape!  We did reuse the original glass panel - I still have no idea how that survived - and the magnetic filter from the top of the case, though there's a tiny chunk taken out of one corner, and we would have salvaged two of the fans, but then Linus broken one.

The SSD didn't work at all, so that was replaced.  We think that when the GPU got loose in shipping it scrapped off at least two capacitors from the SSD.

The PSU was replaced for safety, though the crushed one does appear to be fully functional.

After finishing the shoot we started getting major video artificing, so the GPU was upgraded.  When looking at it closely it actually looks like the whole heatsink/cooler assembly was shoved over a millimeter or so. I suspect something is either broken or at least loose on that PCB as a result.

We also decided to replace the Motherboard and the AIO. They passed our tests, but ultimately u/superznova took a big chance and trusted us to make things right. Given how much bend there was in the motherboard - not to mention the damage on the outside of the PCIe slot - and how much the radiator had been twisted, it just didn't feel right to send something back that wasn't in perfect condition.

It's supposed to arrive back in Sweden this week, and I'm hoping we can update this post and let everyone know that it survived shipping this time!

TL;DR: SSD, MB, AIO, PSU, GPU, Most of the case.

Why didn't the video get uploaded after seeing all the other components replaced after it failed stress testing? Would have been nice to see that instead of just 2 lines in the video and having to come onto the forum to see the aftermath.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I was thinking the same thing after the first minute of the video that the company should have done right and in my mind, makes Shark Gaming look bad as if they denied replacing the busted up computer.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

41 minutes ago, geokilla said:

Why didn't the video get uploaded after seeing all the other components replaced after it failed stress testing? Would have been nice to see that instead of just 2 lines in the video and having to come onto the forum to see the aftermath.

If I had to guess, the plan for the video changed as parts kept working. So instead of a focus on upgrading a broken PC, it became funnier to just act like a case swap was all it needed. You can see in the video description a list of which parts are in the final build. It was just crazy that they worked at all, obviously not shipping that garbage back to someone lol.

3 hours ago, Superznova said:

Do you get warranty from LTT though? The free upgrades are nice and all, but would suck a bit if no warranty, cause you WOULD get that from Sharkgaming.

In the Youtube comment section, LTT asked about PC shipping disasters. As the attached pics shows, I had a monitor that was delivered with the outer box that was quite damp and had tons of duct tape holding the box together. The day it was delivered, my area had a rain emergency, so I was expecting that it wouldn't be delivered until the next day. Best guess is that fell while being loaded onto the UPS truck and it was sitting in rain/being rained on while waiting to be picked up, then got taped together enough to load back onto the truck. Opened the box up and there was some documentation missing, so there was no way I was taking the risk that the rain and fall off the truck didn't cause damage to the monitor. Ended up chatting with the retailer and had them send out a new one, then went to UPS to return the damaged one. I was at a loss for words when thinking about why UPS would think just tape an obviously electronic item up to that degree and delivering it would be acceptable.

LG1.JPEG

LG2.JPEG

LG3.JPEG

LG4.JPEG