iSwitched to Linux (Zorin OS)

I decided I'm going to try out Linux again, for my main driver. I'm going to specifically use Zorin OS which is very good from what I understand. 

Update #1 

Had a horrible time installing a selected a drive and it put the boot loader on another :( took me half-an-hour to figure this out also. 

Once booting in I noticed the appeal of the os, with it's clean lines and windowsy style. I also noticed multi-monitors work straight out of the box. 

My sound and video drivers and such all worked out of the box which is expected from linux. From what I can tell he video drivers are the open ones and I'll have to grab the version off AMD's website for better 3D performance so I can test some games and such. 

I'm going to install the driver now hope nothing breaks. :D

More updates to come, including game performance and such. :D

post-41665-0-05225000-1399733037_thumb.p

post-41665-0-05225000-1399733037_thumb.p

Update #2 
A little bit of performance. 

I tested Rust and was sad to see it performed a bit less than it does on windows. I tested both open and closed drivers and did not see nearly as good of performance on lowest settings. It ran at about 15 to 30fps.

post-41665-0-99089000-1399737829.jpg

I also tried the dolphin emulator which actually seemed to perform better, which really surprised me. I ran at 2x native wii res. And kept a solid 60 all the way through Sonic 4. 

post-41665-0-31546200-1399737937.jpg

Very interesting results so far. Some things work better and some don't :P I'm liking it so far though :D 

post-41665-0-99089000-1399737829.jpg

post-41665-0-31546200-1399737937.jpg

Reserved 

why Zorin? just get ubuntu, easiest linux distro to learn linux(besides mint) imo

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Cool, wanna see how it goes. I never really found it very usable as a daily driver (Linux aka Ubuntu in general), but you may find different.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I prefer Ubuntu for noob stuff, but Zorin is good because its practically like Windows, except for the compatibility. And its bundled with all the software you need, Steam is easy to get and Wine is bundled in so you can use Windows applications in Zorin OS.  So I say good choice :)

why Zorin? just get ubuntu, easiest linux distro to learn linux(besides mint) imo

CentOS/ Fedora/ Mageia ftw! :D

Xubuntu FTW

Agreed.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

CentOS/ Fedora/ Mageia ftw! :D

Fedora is one of my faves

Agreed.

I enjoyed it but it seemed basic to me :(

I enjoyed it but it seemed basic to me :(

But it's nice and fast on slower stuff. And you can make it look a lot like Windows.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

But it's nice and fast on slower stuff. And you can make it look a lot like Windows.

Yeah, I have it on a old laptop it runs like a beast now  :D 

As someone who is going to install linux on his school laptop and in the future run linux on his main rig. I will be following this with great interest.

And i really like the familiar desktop on that one :) 

I have about 4 usb sticks with various linux distros laying around from when windows pissed me off.. And soon it's time to get off my arse and actually install one of them.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

As someone who is going to install linux on his school laptop and in the future run linux on his main rig. I will be following this with great interest.

And i really like the familiar desktop on that one :)

I have about 4 usb sticks with various linux distros laying around from when windows pissed me off.. And soon it's time to get off my arse and actually install one of them.

So far for me linux has been great, of course a few things will break sometime but the linux community forums are a great help and any problem you experience someone already has a answer. :D loving it for now 

My favorite distro is Manjaro with Gnome

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

• 2 months later...

I'll send this to my friend, he's thinking of getting ubuntu

I run a headless Arch Linux install with lynx as my web browser that connects to the internet over my custom Soekris router running headless OpenBSD.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

hey, nice, which version of zorinos? 9RC or 8??

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

hey, nice, which version of zorinos? 9RC or 8??

I used 8 i'm pretty sure but I would go with the newest 

I have used  Ubuntu, mint, fedora, Zorin and elementary os. they all worked great. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger