A little foam treat for the thieves

Go to solution Solved by KamiKatze,

The information is given very poorly. Where do they put that Mg and H2O2 layer onto? The cash box? How;s a thin layer of it gonna destroy all the bank note INSIDE the box? Or how does the guy, who transports the cash boxes know, how to not trigger the mechanism?

Also, why do we need something like this? Previous mechanisms would just spray the bank notes in a bright red color, which you can't wash off.

atm-taxcredits-flickr.jpg

ATM thieves have a little departing treat for them

"Spoiler"

its a special chemical defence system

ATM thieves are increasingly focused on digital heists, but many of these robbers still prefer old-fashioned currency. They may want to think twice about stealing cash in the future, though, as ETH Zurich has developed a chemical defense system that both deters theft and helps track ill-gotten goods. Based loosely on bombardier beetles, which produce acid to spray attackers, the technique creates a defensive surface on an object (say, a cash box) using film layers filled with hydrogen peroxide and manganese dioxide. Break the surface and you trigger a reaction that covers everything nearby in hot foam -- by itself, enough to ruin the day of any would-be purloiner.

check out the full article at Engadget

Source Engadget

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I wonder if its running windows XP :P

(just a joke i saw in the comments )

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Sounds cool, but not sure how it will go with false positives, the last thing you want is some innocent old lady getting out some money so she can get some groceries and hot foam sprays her and kills her.  

That institute has too much funding. They also made a cube shaped robot that can roll, balance and what not using reaction wheels and a network of quadcopters that can do all kinds of crazy things such as collaboratively build new structures.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

It gets up to 80oc thats pretty hot and could do first degree burns, awesome, the people that get hit by it deserve it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

OK if it is 100% free from risk of misactivation.

If not I wouldn't be OK with them spraying hot substances.

Sounds cool, but not sure how it will go with false positives, the last thing you want is some innocent old lady getting out some money so she can get some groceries and hot foam sprays her and kills her.  

Unless the little old lady is prying open the ATM with a crowbar, she won't have to worry about false positives. Try reading the article next time.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Unless the little old lady is prying open the ATM with a crowbar, she won't have to worry about false positives. Try reading the article next time.

I did. But most of the words are too big for me.

atm-taxcredits-flickr.jpg

ATM thieves have a little departing treat for them

"Spoiler"

its a special chemical defence system

check out the full article at Engadget

Source Engadget

i should just become a thief. banks are so stupid with security.

I wonder if its running windows XP :P

(just a joke i saw in the comments )

I doubt it, most likely still on 95 or 98.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

whats stopping a thief from washing it off

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Why don't we just put a gun in the ATM? Just shoot the fuckers.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

The information is given very poorly. Where do they put that Mg and H2O2 layer onto? The cash box? How;s a thin layer of it gonna destroy all the bank note INSIDE the box? Or how does the guy, who transports the cash boxes know, how to not trigger the mechanism?

Also, why do we need something like this? Previous mechanisms would just spray the bank notes in a bright red color, which you can't wash off.

who cares...

Good points

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD