Should I upgrade my 2080ti to a 4070?

RealETH

Now I know that the 4070 isn't quite a 'fan favourite', but considering its 'affordability' I have caught my eyes on it. Currently I'm running a 2080ti, and while the card still handles anything I throw at it, I will admit that in some games, especially modern ones, I can't really crank the graphics as much as I used to... While I don't know if the 4070 is significantly more powerful, the presence of the AV1 encoder, alongside DLSS frame generation (and only frame generation, I don't care about DLSS, or fake resolution as I call it). And maybe the biggest reason yet: silence, since at the moment I'm running a card with a blower cooler...

Should I bite the bullet and get one, or do I try to get enough money for a higher end card?

3 minutes ago, RealETH said:

Now I know that the 4070 isn't quite a 'fan favourite', but considering its 'affordability' I have caught my eyes on it. Currently I'm running a 2080ti, and while the card still handles anything I throw at it, I will admit that in some games, especially modern ones, I can't really crank the graphics as much as I used to... While I don't know if the 4070 is significantly more powerful, the presence of the AV1 encoder, alongside DLSS frame generation (and only frame generation, I don't care about DLSS, or fake resolution as I call it). And maybe the biggest reason yet: silence, since at the moment I'm running a card with a blower cooler...

Should I bite the bullet and get one, or do I try to get enough money for a higher end card?

Just about every tech channel now has benchmark results in a variety of productivity apps and games at the three most common resolutions for the 4070 including, within the last day or so, partner versions of the cards. It should be fairly easy now to work out whether an upgrade for you makes sense or not when comparing to the 2080ti, most of the benchmarks still include that card along with older cards like the 1080.

Techtester has two partner cards reviewed currently, Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed have quite in depth 4070 reviews and conclusions.

RTX 4070 regular performance is very similar to RTX 3080.

Only big plus is DLSS 3 support.

So in my opinion not worth it at all.

I edit my posts more often than not

The 4070 will give you about 30% more performance - assuming your 2080Ti wasn't a great overclocker. If you won the silicon lottery, and your card could get to 2.2GHz or something, then the margin will be smaller.

If you haven't overclocked your 2080Ti, maybe you should give that a try before investing in a new card.

Honestly, I think you'll be disappointed by the performance boost of the 4070. For this generation, you'd probably need to go with a 4080, 4090, or RX 7900 XTX to be wowed by the performance increase. Anything less than those won't even be a 50% boost in performance for you. Also, your card's 11GB of VRAM isn't much less than the 12GB you find on the 4070 and Ti models, so that's not an upgrade at all there.

Nah.

Overall its at best a 25% upgrade in performance you dont even get extra vram and the 4070 is only +-50w more efficient.

Not worth the money one bit.

Being against dlss 2.0 and calling it "fake resoltion" but being excited for frame gen/dlss 3.0/ fake frames that add latency making gameplay less responsive is a wild take.

Taking dlss 3.0 out of the equation, no, I wouldnt, you are spending over 600 USD to get very few additional real frames over what you have. But with all the reviews out there you can make your own judgement about that.

Looks neck and neck with a 3080,

for me I got my 2080ti up to 2130mhz and 8100mhz on the memory, which matched a 3080 fe stock in a fair few titles and wasn’t far behind in the rest 

so I wouldn’t probly say no 

however I’m in the same boat looking for a upgrade from 2080ti as I feel the same about not crancking visuals ect 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

2 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Looks neck and neck with a 3080,

for me I got my 2080ti up to 2130mhz and 8100mhz on the memory, which matched a 3080 fe stock in a fair few titles and wasn’t far behind in the rest 

so I wouldn’t probly say no 

however I’m in the same boat looking for a upgrade from 2080ti as I feel the same about not crancking visuals ect 

6950xt is right there. 600-650$ so cheaper than the 4070 for a good bit more performance and more vram.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

6950xt is right there. 600-650$ so cheaper than the 4070 for a good bit more performance and more vram.

Yeah I’m looking at that and the 7900xt 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

7 hours ago, RealETH said:

Id suggest watching the Linus video, he puts the 4070 in great aspect with everything else. Me personally, I don't enjoy supporting Nvidia for these prices.

2 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Yeah I’m looking at that and the 7900xt 

Either way see it like this: Pay 300$-400$+ (this includes selling the 2080ti) for 25% better performance with a 4070.

Which wont even allow you to crank settings either and also not for a long time because its a upper mid range card.

Also also the ps5 and xbox series are about to take over making a new min spec for games and thus bumping requirements.

Absolutely not. The 4070 is only 23% faster than the 2080 Ti at 4k in Techpowerup's testsuite of 20+ games, and 4k now is what I'd be looking at to see how the gpu will age at 1440p. Bare minimum upgrade I'd even consider is 50% which would require going up to the RTX 4070 Ti (+51%) or RX 7900 XT (+67%). But ideally I'd only upgrade with performance doubled where it's going to feel night and day, and to get near that you're talking RTX 4080 (+93%) or RX 7900 XTX (+98%).

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Absolutely not. The 4070 is only 23% faster than the 2080 Ti at 4k in Techpowerup's testsuite of 20+ games, and 4k now is what I'd be looking at to see how the gpu will age at 1440p. Bare minimum upgrade I'd even consider is 50% which would require going up to the RTX 4070 Ti (+51%) or RX 7900 XT (+67%). But ideally I'd only upgrade with performance doubled where it's going to feel night and day, and to get near that you're talking RTX 4080 (+93%) or RX 7900 XTX (+98%).

And that’s a stock 2080ti, u can close most of that gap with core and memory oc 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

With the 4070(non-Ti) Nvidia managed to do something all thought was impossible - launch a product that is a worse value than the 4080. But they succeeded. Yey Nvidia

Borat Great GIF - Borat Great Success - Discover & Share GIFs

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

I would say not really. I upgraded because I came from a mid-range RX 5700-XT (equivalent to RTX 2070-Super) and went to the Flagship RX 7900-XTX, quite literally a 110-125% average increase in performance depending on the title and resolution.

IMG_20230415_153253.thumb.jpg.9891a3328cc224b9d7e03e9d382d2362.jpg

But in your case you are talking about upgrading from a Flagship 2080-Ti to a Mid-Range 4070 (Non-Ti). That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. At best you are looking at a 25% uplift in performance. If you overclock your 2080-Ti you might even be able to drop the gap down to 15% or so.

If you were upgrading to the 7900-XTX or the RTX 4080, then yea that would be one hell of a performance jump, but these cards are about double the price of the 4070 (Non-Ti).

Overall I would say your best options would be to overclock the 2080-Ti for now, waiting for the next generation; or save up for a higher tier new card. With RTX 4000 and RX 7000 being as powerful as they are, RTX 5000 and RX 8000 will either be completely rediculous or far more efficient and less power hungry. And by then the performance gap will be so huge that even upgrading to a mid-range card will make a whole lot more sense.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

yes it's about 25% performance increase, if it's enough for you, go for it...but a used 3080/3090 would be a much better deal. Don't know why you're so hyped for Frame Generation, it's not a particularly amazing technology, certainly worse than the "fake resolution" one.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:00 AM, RealETH said:

I would raise the 6950 XT as a "better at raster, worse at everything else" option, frame gen makes a very noticeable difference in quality of frames being delivered, along with not actually decreasing latency, if you're already not a fan of temporal upscalers then this should be a no-go for you. AV1 encoding is nice on the 40 series, so you'll have to weigh your options there. 6950 XT performs basically like a 3090 (ti) so you'll be getting ~40% from an upgrade like this

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS