What's the worst scam you have seen / heard of?

Bismut

Someone has recently tried to scam me by sending a fake AirBNB link, which I luckily spotted before actually doing anything (other than checking with AirBNB themselves whether it was a scam).
My mother thought that the whole thing was legitimate when I told her about it, which kind of worries me about how easy it would be to scam people like her, who do not care about tech.

What are some of the most egregious, sneaky or otherwise impressive scams you have seen, both online and IRL? It would be nice to have some examples to tell to non-techy people in our environments so they can protect themselves a bit better.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

The unending robocalls for reverse mortgages, credit card scams, and Medicare this-and-that are the most insidious, because they prey on old people who don't know any better. No, grandpa, "Visa Mastercard Discover" will not call you to magically lower your rate.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

My favorite is the "IRS has locked your social security number" type ones.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

the one where something is downladedd (usaully going like , you first have to download this app to acess services etc ) on the phone , and it steals ur id passwords etc ..

5 minutes ago, da na said:

I got a genius one. Fake UPS one, said a package couldn't be delivered, so give us your full name and address and we'll send your package.

I got a whole bunch of calls for UPS packages, I tried messing with them but they never responded when I talked 😕

Trans Rights!

One of my favorite youtube channels once had Elon Musk on saying you could double your bitcoins by sending BTC to some wallet. 

Surely a scam. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

9 minutes ago, cmndr said:

One of my favorite youtube channels once had Elon Musk on saying you could double your bitcoins by sending BTC to some wallet. 

Surely a scam. 

I wonder which one that was ^^

Trans Rights!

8 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I wonder which one that was ^^

I bet the channel owner has hapa children. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

I used to work at a medical facility and we got calls all the time from people trying to lie to old folks about their Medicare being expired/faulty/cancelled. And they were in this weirdly authoritative tone trying to scare vulnerable people into sending mail orders or whatever to fix the issue.

Also, fake kidnapping/imprisonment scam. My grandma got a call from some who spoofed part of my cousins voice to say he's been imprisoned in a Mexican jail and needs money to be bailed out. But regular money transfers don't work so she needed Amazon gift cards. Fortunately the Kroger cashier called the scammers bluff.

Worst scams are the ones preying on good nature or vulnerability. 

Funniest ones are sending fake invoices to Google.

Scammers using Paypal to send actual invoices to bypass spam filters.

They'll put some bullshit/scary reason in the requirements and a phone number to call but it's actually sent via paypal using scraped/stolen accounts so it's a legit email (in that it's not a spoof) but a scam.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Apple.

Worst example; "Fusion Drive".

D.I.Y. visual artist trapped between a love of macOS, and a desire to build machines. Settled on;

2009 Mac Pro :: 2x X5690 :: 96gb DDR3 :: 5700XT :: macOS 12 :: Windows 10

2015 MacBook Pro :: 2.8ghz i7 :: 16gb DDR3 :: R9 M370X :: macOS 12
Above average knowledge of anything Apple. Saving people money, and making Macs more powerful/last longer for creators.

If some other posts in this same forum are any indication, evidently AI and GPUs with 8GB or less are scams.

I personally think that NFT that are very vulnerable to rug pulls and touting themselves as a way to "play games and win money" are troubling to me.

I bought an RTX 3060 on Amazon, and instead of receiving a GPU the seller sent an iPhone camera cover.

The return is still in progress, hopefully I didn't lose $350 to AMEISEYE (The sellers on Amazon that scammed me)

There are so many, and definitely worse ones than this.

But 1 of the weirdest one, has to be a wall plug that will reduce energy used. The light will turn on to show you that you are saving energy.

• 1 month later...

The scam where someone steals two unactivated gift cards from a store, then copies the barcode off one, prints that barcode to a sticker, and adheres it to the other card, thus replacing it's barcode and creating two cards with the same bar code.  They then return ONE of the cards to the store and wait for the customer to purchase it and for the cashier to activate it.  Once activated they now have a card of their own with the same barcode, and can use that card before the customer can use their own, draining it, and the customer finds the card they just bought is already used up.

When I learned about that I was like 'Woooooooooooow... That would have never occurred to me to check.'

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

8 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

When I learned about that I was like 'Woooooooooooow... That would have never occurred to me to check.'

I would never have thought of that as well, that is eeevil.

Trans Rights!

8 hours ago, Bismut said:

I would never have thought of that as well, that is eeevil.

That was my reaction.  The execution is actually super simple but I'd never had thought about it till I was told about it.  I could literally execute this scam with materials in my own home, I have printable adhesive sheets and a photo printer for other projects.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

"Governmental Accountability Office"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Working for MSPs for over 13 years, I have seen some good ones, but this one takes the cake.

BEC attack where the realtor's account was used against the buyer of a property to wire $250,000+ to an outside actor's account. By the time it was caught, they were unable to recover any losses. Agent was using a non MFA gmail account for communication with at least 8 breaches listed. The buyer received a spoofed email (gmail) appearing to be from my client, the title company with the wire instructions. Names, information, and email signatures were all gathered through the realtor's account. I was tasked with providing proof showing no BEC had occurred in our O365 tenant. Realtor probably lost their job, got blacklisted, and the buyer was SOL. Outside actor probably spent a total of 1 hour to pull off this attack, monitoring the agents account to creating the spoofed gmail and sending the email to the buyer. Seeing these types of attacks and the sophistication needed to pull it off, makes me feel like I am on the wrong side here.

Bonus: Another funny one was a new marketing employee receives a spoofed email using gmail posing as the president of the company wanting $10,000 in gift cards in her first week. Wanting to get on the good side, this employee proceeds to go to Target, buy the gift cards on their personal credit card, scratch them off and send them to the actor. I think they were able to get back around $250 in Amazon credit out of the total sent as the rest had already been spent.

I was later asked by another client to provide some additional security training and used the above example to show how fast it could be pulled off. During the presentation to the company, I pulled the president's email signature out of an email they had sent, created a new gmail account using their name, went to their webiste and gathered employee names and contact information, drafted and sent the spoofed email in about 5 minutes to a few critical staff. (Based on listed job titles) I feel they left that meeting scared straight or at least a little more knowledgeable on the subject.

You really can't make this shit up. The shotgun method has proven successful since it only has to work once to be profitable.