What's the worst scam you have seen / heard of?

Bismut

IT learning courses from internet so called "learning startups". Everything from those paid courses available for free and their diplomas do nothing. 

The 4GB GTX 970 🤣

Nah, that's not the worst. I like the one up here where they call claiming to be the RCMP and they're coming to get you.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I work in the real estate field. We used to see this one a TON when the housing market was super hot and people were buying/renting site unseen like crazy. 

The scammer would go on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace advertising a house for rent. They would have some pictures (likely taken from the house's previous public listing or just taken from the front yard) with some information and a too-good-to-be-true price. Someone who was desperate to rent would call the number, go through a tenant interview with the scammer posing as the owner, and would be told to send a check with the security deposit and first month's rent to the "property manager's office," or even some online portal. The scammer would then tell them to go to the house to pick up the keys. When the aspiring tenant showed up at the house and knocked on the door, it was the ACTUAL owner who answered it totally unaware of what was going on. 

This happened way more than you'd believe. 

2 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

The 4GB GTX 970 🤣

Nah, that's not the worst. I like the one up here where they call claiming to be the RCMP and they're coming to get you.

Those worked pretty well in practice. 

I had one. No real issues. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, cmndr said:

Those worked pretty well in practice. 

I had one. No real issues. 

So did I, still have a couple in use too. Despite the VRAM "controversy" they were still one of the best 70 series cards value wise.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:08 AM, ApolloX75 said:

So did I, still have a couple in use too. Despite the VRAM "controversy" they were still one of the best 70 series cards value wise.

I also have one, paid about 100€ for it back in the day I think? Still works, although it really cannot pull off 1440p any more.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

"chinese embassy"  I got about 20 of those before google finally got around to blocking it. It's bad because of just how dumb it is.

I think life is one big scam to.

I randomly get calls offering me 30% off of a package from my phone company, they hang up when I ask them which phone company I'm with, as they should know right? Having called me with this amazing offer.

Amazing how they hope to ensnare anyone.