Where do i get old PC parts?

Harry Lahiri
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
2 hours ago, Harry Lahiri said:

or that the product if damaged somehow the return policies would be drastic and such.

eBay has a (potentially excessively) buyer-friendly return management system. If there's a defect, eBay will immediately side with the buyer in pretty much every instance. If you get a bum product, you will get your money back.

Not long ago I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 AF, but the product that arrived was a 1600 AE. I asked the seller for a partial refund but they didn't respond, so asked eBay support to step in. They immediately issued a full refund.

Hey everyone, 

I built my high end pc somewhat 8 years ago and with little modifications, such as changing the SSD's or the graphics cards and stuff, it worked fine until now. Recently, my motherboard just gave out but the rest of the components including the processor and other parts are good to go. Since its an old chipset model with LGA 1150 socket support I know it would be tough to get one, and no I'm not particularly looking to build a new high end pc right now since the other components are ok. I can't even sell the old components like that without making a huge huge loss.

I know its an old chipset model, but i can't even find a good source for a second hand one either. any ideas?

I had a ASUS Z97A with intel i7 4790k processor with dual corsair 8gb*2 RAM's with heatsink and H100i liquid coolers.

It has suffied 650watt gold rated psu and 4 GB of windforce power GPU 960ti. 

Here's the main issue, if i had to buy a new / used asus Z97A or a similar, 

( maximus 7 ROG hero / MSI Z97 Gaming 5 / Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 5 )

I have been suggested to get a Gigabyte GA-H81M-S = No way am i getting that much of a downgrade. 

any leads? any thoughts? anyone have them from whom i could get one? Willing to pay shipping.

eBay typically has decent offerings for Z97 motherboards. I've bought a good handful myself, especially Asus models which have worked out pretty well, such as the Z97-AR. I tend to look very carefully to make sure it includes the I/O shield and such.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

eBay typically has decent offerings for Z97 motherboards. I've bought a good handful myself, especially Asus models which have worked out pretty well, such as the Z97-AR. I tend to look very carefully to make sure it includes the I/O shield and such.

Yeah, you are right, Im just scared if the product would be decent since its a used product, or that the product if damaged somehow the return policies would be drastic and such.

2 hours ago, Harry Lahiri said:

or that the product if damaged somehow the return policies would be drastic and such.

eBay has a (potentially excessively) buyer-friendly return management system. If there's a defect, eBay will immediately side with the buyer in pretty much every instance. If you get a bum product, you will get your money back.

Not long ago I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 AF, but the product that arrived was a 1600 AE. I asked the seller for a partial refund but they didn't respond, so asked eBay support to step in. They immediately issued a full refund.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You say “I want old PC parts” and then duck quickly so you don’t get hit in the head when people frantically throw them in the direction of the voice.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:24 PM, Fasauceome said:

That’s eBay and PayPal together.  They sequester the money and don’t release it till you give the all clear that the thing wasn’t a brick or something.  There may be other systems that do it too, but stay the heck away from western Union for this.  They just send money period.  There was some Eastern European village  that had like 30 western unions in it because scammers drove super cars there.  There were a lot of super cars.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

As others have stated, eBay is a good place to start, r/hardwareswap is another good one, you can also check out your local goodwill, sometimes you get lucky. Another great place is Craigslist, since listings are usually local. Arrange to meet up at a safe spot, ie. in front of a police station and do the swap!

On 3/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, The 8-Bit Time Traveller said:

As others have stated, eBay is a good place to start, r/hardwareswap is another good one, you can also check out your local goodwill, sometimes you get lucky. Another great place is Craigslist, since listings are usually local. Arrange to meet up at a safe spot, ie. in front of a police station and do the swap!

Goodwill and Salvation Army also do online for tech stuff.