Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

OH good we've devolved into definitional debates.  Those always go well.

As a security expert, I'm not going to speculate without more information, because that would be unprofessional.

Much more fun to hang out and shitpost:

I can see Linus screaming at the void in meeting today: "FUCK 2FA.  WE NEED 69FA!!!"

5 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

channeltmp.png.77be6c531ac13f91f608a60ba9f1a66a.png

Sorry not sorry.

Facts

2 minutes ago, Shonk said:

I also dont call a TB a TiB you want to goto bat about that also big guy

roll away man

apples to oranges, this is semantics about a unit used, you were all about how you didn't recognize a definition that is literally used as such by the entire world's IT personel and their aunts

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

2 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

As a security expert, I'm not going to speculate without more information, because that would be unprofessional.

as a security expert, were you taught that phishing is a hacking method or not ? asking for a... friend.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

Just now, Paulus88 said:

I just wanted to mention that there is a YouTube channel that seems to have started uploading Private Videos from LTT 2 hours ago:

https://youtube.com/@happyweekend2343

Example:

Hope it helps to track the bad actor 😤

I don't know why people are doing this. If it says do not upload, then it must contain something bad in it. People are so mean nowadays, I can imagine how Linus is feeling right now, his day is probably ruined.

2 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

I can see Linus screaming at the void in meeting today: "FUCK 2FA.  WE NEED 69FA!!!"

I will say, though, that old people like me, a long time ago, tried to get "cracking" to be a word that was used for cyber-attacks instead of "hacking", because to us, "hacking" was something that fast programmers did, and it was a badge of honor.

We lost that battle, totally and completely, but some still try to hang on to that distinction.

I don't know if that's the source of this issue, but this is how meaningful discussion gets bogged down in silly, unproductive arguments.

Going to sleep rn, bye everyone. I will check the sutiation again tomorrow. Good luck for Linus and his team again.

I support all solutions that require Jake and Anthony to be there dressed both as Batman.

No reason is given why but it's presumed to give Linus some mild amusement.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

There is zero need to speculate this has happened multiple times

with the exact same tesla crypto junk to other tech channels

It will go along of lines of ltt got an e-mail saying they wanted to advertise with them

prices will have been negotiated and agreed

then 3rd party sends a pile of paperwork for ltt to look through

in that paperwork is a .jpg.scr

hide extensions for known file types hides the .scr so dumbo thinks its a jpg and double clicks it

its literally a year 2000 thing that people are still falling for to this day

trojan is run on the pc by a dumbo

said trojan pulls cookies which bypasses 2fa

5 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

as a security expert, were you taught that phishing is a hacking method or not ? asking for a... friend

As a security expert, part of my job can be communicating with the public, and I have come to recognize that it is a waste of time to get bogged down in distinctions that the wider audience is not interested in.  Privately, discussions will be more specific.

As a general rule, trying to export your niche professional definitions as having priority over society's definitions is completely useless (though it seems to happen across all professions pretty regularly).

Editing to add an actual answer.  I'm ok with not considering phishing to be hacking.  But, when someone is successfully phished, the thing that happens right after that is almost always hacking.

I agree with the suggestions to limit the number of people with access to the channel. Sad to say but even just for a rogue employee or someone that gets pissed off and rage quits. The more people who have access the more people are targets for phishing or targeted social engineering.

One of things that struck me is if you check r/sysadmin there are threads on a sharp increase in phishing emails that has been going on for the past 1-4 weeks. Someone figured out how to get around the built in protections for Google Workspace and Microsoft 365 filters. Even people running dedicated filters like Barracuda are getting hit. 

I don't get the jump to instantly blame the victim for hacks. Its a constant battle of whack a mole and these people have nothing better to do than find creative and new ways to be scumbag criminals. Its not much different than blaming a robbery victim for being robbed. It is always the criminal's fault when a crime is committed. There are companies significantly larger with far more money to throw at security than LMG that have been hacked many times. Someone taking over a channel for a few hours is far less damaging than a company with people's credit card and personal information getting taken. 

I will say, though, that old people like me, a long time ago, tried to get "cracking" to be a word that was used for cyber-attacks instead of "hacking", because to us, "hacking" was something that fast programmers did, and it was a badge of honor.

We lost that battle, totally and completely, but some still try to hang on to that distinction.

I don't know if that's the source of this issue, but this is how meaningful discussion gets bogged down in silly, unproductive arguments.

Hacking is and has always been more about a mentality rather than any specifically defined actions.  It was adopted from the Tech Model Rail Club at MIT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Model_Railroad_Club

5 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

as a security expert, were you taught that phishing is a hacking method or not ? asking for a... friend.

It doesn't matter. He came in here FULLY aware of how everyone here was using the word. Him not agreeing with the common accepted definition doesn't matter nearly as much as him understanding HOW we are using the word. It doesn't do anyone any good to prove him wrong.

As a security expert, part of my job can be communicating with the public, and I have come to recognize that it is a waste of time to get bogged down in distinctions that the wider audience is not interested in.  Privately, discussions will be more specific.

As a general rule, trying to export your niche professional definitions as having priority over society's definitions is completely useless (though it seems to happen across all professions pretty regularly).

I fully agree. As I said above it doesn't matter how people define a word so long as both sides are able to clarify what they mean when they use the word.

1 hour ago, Shonk said:

a dumbo running a trojan isnt being hacked

maybe linus should block internet access for his grandma that ran it

i hope linus calls out on the wan show which grandma ran it

The Oxford English dictionary, and basically every reasonable definition of hacking is, "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer."

More or less the exact attack you described was listed as a type of hacking in my computer security class back in college in, I want to say that was sophomore year, so '07 or '08. In order to learn how to prevent it we actually learned how to do it. It is considered a form of hacking.

2 minutes ago, Waynhim said:

The Oxford English dictionary, and basically every reasonable definition of hacking is, "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer."

More or less the exact attack you described was listed as a type of hacking in my computer security class back in college in, I want to say that was sophomore year, so '07 or '08. In order to learn how to prevent it we actually learned how to do it. It is considered a form of hacking.

i said like 10 posts ago lets agree to disagree why can people not let go these days

Its the accepted term for normies and grandma's e.g. the majority of the world

i fully understand how people are using it

but its not the correct term

16 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

And I'm really disappointed that people want to talk about "hacking" definitions instead of how awesome this joke was.

And I'm really disappointed that people want to talk about "hacking" definitions instead of how awesome this joke was.

69 My dude

meh 749721997394575361.webp.00bf46d7ff70dadf23495ba325fa972a.webp1055579793023840317.webp.e6af55601f2cb2e041f2153426d882dd.webp

Lets change the subject and scare all the "Security Experts"

I have been on the internet since 1994 and in that whole time i have never run a local virus scanner on any pc on my lan

and have had exactly Zero Infections

and download upto 50TB a month

Fluke?

Discuss

1 minute ago, Shonk said:

I have been on the internet since 1994 and in that whole time i have never run a local virus scanner on any pc on my lan

Fluke?

Discuss

That is a very VERY bold claim, because even people intelligent enough could fall for these scams when they are pulled off really well for them to get tricked at it

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, Shonk said:

Fluke?

Discuss

>i have never run a local virus scanner

>have had exactly Zero Infections
wasn't there a controversial US president that said that COVID numbers would go down if we did less COVID testing ?

image.png.fd22285550869810d6d9fb95d17595d0.png

36 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

On a side note... I like how the Forum is now freaking out and advertising the Shortcircuit videos 4 times. 

Either that or have greyed-out dead YouTube embeds on the forum until they get their channels back. 🤷‍♂️

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Shonk said:

You know you aren't helping your case here. If you want to "agree to disagree" and move on from the subject you probably shouldn't talk down on the people disagreeing with you by questioning their expertise.

Edit:
This is the last I am going to say on the subject. I agree that we should move on.

Can I get a link to the hacked channels.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)