Is 9 fans simply not enough?

omegaapex128

Sure I've read a couple articles here and there that say the 11700k runs hot...but seriously...9 fans in a push/pull config isn't enough to keep this thing cooler than 60C? I just changed the cooler on my CPU hoping that would help but to no effect. I'm tempted to go AIO but am afraid that would be a waste too...

5 minutes ago, omegaapex128 said:

Sure I've read a couple articles here and there that say the 11700k runs hot...but seriously...9 fans in a push/pull config isn't enough to keep this thing cooler than 60C? I just changed the cooler on my CPU hoping that would help but to no effect. I'm tempted to go AIO but am afraid that would be a waste too...

What's your cooler ? What really matters is the heatsink and its fans, the rest just helps moving air in and out

And anyway 60C is more than fine non need to get any better, on the contrary you should OC the CPU to get more performance  at 80C

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Fans move air ... there has to be air to be moved for fans to work.

Then, cooling is done by air moving through the fins of the cooler and "sucking up" heat from the fins ... there's only so much amount of air that can move through the fins to pick up heat and cool the fins and heatpipes.

There's only so much heat that migrates from the cpu die into the heatsink / cpu cooler assembly with heatpipes and everything.

You can only blame your case, fan, and cooler choice.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Sounds like your heat sink is heat soaked.  Need more surface area to dissipate the heat away from the CPU - if it has no where to go it stays with the CPU (basically)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

14 hours ago, omegaapex128 said:

Number of fans means nothing.

That's like saying, I have a pair of $500 Nike shoes, am I going to beat Usain Bolt in a 300m sprint.

The quality / performance of the fans, the CPU Cooler you are using, the Case + airflow is part of the equation too.

You can have...only 3 fans or 4, and still perform better than a system with 20+ fans.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 3:21 AM, PDifolco said:

What's your cooler ? What really matters is the heatsink and its fans, the rest just helps moving air in and out

And anyway 60C is more than fine non need to get any better, on the contrary you should OC the CPU to get more performance  at 80C

Sorry I have been away for a while. Noctua NH-D15. I have a Lian Li Lanncool II Mesh case and the 2nd 140 fan will not fit inside the case so I had to go 120, so I'm now actually up to 10 fans since I originally posted but yeah...it still runs hot. I just think it's crazy that these fans are blasting around 1100, 1200 rpm when I'm not running anything

On 3/23/2023 at 5:16 PM, -rascal- said:

Number of fans means nothing.

That's like saying, I have a pair of $500 Nike shoes, am I going to beat Usain Bolt in a 300m sprint.

The quality / performance of the fans, the CPU Cooler you are using, the Case + airflow is part of the equation too.

You can have...only 3 fans or 4, and still perform better than a system with 20+ fans.

I'm realizing that now. I just wish I could figure it out. Since my original post I upgraded to a Noctua NH-D15 and that STILL hasn't affected anything. It's getting super frustrating. When the 10700k was in here it was half the temp.

3 hours ago, omegaapex128 said:

I'm realizing that now. I just wish I could figure it out. Since my original post I upgraded to a Noctua NH-D15 and that STILL hasn't affected anything. It's getting super frustrating. When the 10700k was in here it was half the temp.

You're chasing a wild goose, the CPU is designed to run at those temps, look at any review where they use beefy cooling

You're unnecessarily generating noise to fight it by adding fan over fan...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, omegaapex128 said:

Sorry I have been away for a while. Noctua NH-D15. I have a Lian Li Lanncool II Mesh case and the 2nd 140 fan will not fit inside the case so I had to go 120, so I'm now actually up to 10 fans since I originally posted but yeah...it still runs hot. I just think it's crazy that these fans are blasting around 1100, 1200 rpm when I'm not running anything

The standard fan curve is often not what you want. A NH-D15 should be able to dissipate the 11700k's power without too much noise. I would recommend to tune the fan curve, enjoy the silence and accept slightly higher temperatures. It does not damage the CPU to run it at high temperatures.

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

The standard fan curve is often not what you want. A NH-D15 should be able to dissipate the 11700k's power without too much noise. I would recommend to tune the fan curve, enjoy the silence and accept slightly higher temperatures. It does not damage the CPU to run it at high temperatures.

What Henry said. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Guys I really appreciate your feedback and help here. I am such a freakin' plebian I am so sorry for being a bother. I almost don't even want to admit to this...So...my OG cooler was still definitely giving me idle temps around 60 C. No doubt. When I got the Noctua...it comes with the center fan already mounted to the fins with the cable managed and everything...well...you have to take that fan off in order to mount the cooler. After I mounted it, I put the fan back on with the cable oriented downward...but on the OTHER set of fins. I essentially had the 140mm center fan on the same fins as the 120mm outer fan and they were fighting each other, both blowing air into one another. I remounted the center fan on the opposite fins, thus making it so the fan was facing the rear of the case, and I'm now getting idle temps of 45 C. I only discovered this because I decided I wanted to remount the cooler. 

TLDR: check the orientation of your CPU fan...*sigh*

Don't feel bad, no one is a pro at first, and some never make it to that level out of need. This is a hobby for many, so you get to meet all kinds of freaks when it comes to this stuff 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

5 hours ago, omegaapex128 said:

Guys I really appreciate your feedback and help here. I am such a freakin' plebian I am so sorry for being a bother. I almost don't even want to admit to this...So...my OG cooler was still definitely giving me idle temps around 60 C. No doubt. When I got the Noctua...it comes with the center fan already mounted to the fins with the cable managed and everything...well...you have to take that fan off in order to mount the cooler. After I mounted it, I put the fan back on with the cable oriented downward...but on the OTHER set of fins. I essentially had the 140mm center fan on the same fins as the 120mm outer fan and they were fighting each other, both blowing air into one another. I remounted the center fan on the opposite fins, thus making it so the fan was facing the rear of the case, and I'm now getting idle temps of 45 C. I only discovered this because I decided I wanted to remount the cooler. 

I always have to look trice. And then again when it is spinning. Some fans have flow arrows molded in, but not always. The rule is that air moves toward the motor hub.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

13 hours ago, omegaapex128 said:

Don't beat yourself up. I'm still learning from the people on here, and I've been in and out of IT most of my life. The truth is that computers have only increased in complexity, and that's not even including all the BS that manufacturers spread, the reviewers who don't have data or don't show it, the reviewers who cherry-pick what to show you, the nonsense from vendors, or the reviewers they buy to tout their stuff (*cough* Noctua and LTT *cough*). I mean, even TH, which is generally highly regarded, does that kind of crap.

Take, for example, the best SSDs: the list will show the fastest for different applications (although TH doesn't show any for creators, and I doubt "performance" is for that), but it glosses over the fact that, in the majority of applications, you won't notice any difference between the high and low tier ones, let alone between gen 3 & 4, and sometimes even SATA NVMe. There are exceptions, such as using an SSD without a DRAM cache when you're doing very large writes (found that out the hard way, too), like my WD Black SN770. 6 months ago, the top SSD on the list used to be the SK Hynix Platinum P41 (gen 4), but now it isn't even on the list - but the Gold P31 (gen 3) is; they DO still mention it on the list, under the WD Black SN850X, so it's doubly ironic as the P41 is up to 2x faster and has a larger cache, too. The most ludicrous part of it is that, aside from the fact that you won't notice the difference between them or most other SSDs, the 2TB P41 is selling for $157 and the P31 for $122! That's inane because 6 months ago, the price was over $200 for the P41, and I don't think the 2TB P31 was out yet. Why spend $120 on the WD Black SN700 or the Crucial P5 Plus when the P41 is so much better for only $37 more, and much cheaper than the SN850X, which is only a bit faster?
image.thumb.png.bb838534469d79fe3684bc31294a0811.png
Ah, but I digress. The point is that TH's list is a short list and there seems to be some hijinx going on with what gets on the list. And what about a comprehensive list of SSDs?

Anyways, that's just the tip of the iceberg with SSDs, let alone all the other things about computers that I still don't know about.

If you feel like you're in over your head, you are with the majority of people - I know more than the average person but a lot of the volunteers on here make me look like an idiot sheerly because they know THAT MUCH MORE. It's not just a matter of knowing which are the top coolers, for example - you should really know which sockets/CPUs they work best (if at all) on, and you need to know which CPUs run hot, which like it hot, and which do not.

Put it this way - I'm 56 and @filpois 15, but he knows way more than I do. So don't sweat it that you don't know what you don't know. 🙂 

I'm starting to review fans and I'm still learning about it as well as finding the best tech with my limited budget for being able to give the public accurate info on computer fans. Ideally, without going for lab-grade equipment that'll cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and for which I have no space in a 2BR 3rd floor apartment, I need to have available thousands of dollars to spend on anemometers, manometers, a custom-designed wind tunnel, vibrometers, sound meters and so on. I can't do that when I'm earning nothing from YouTube, so I have to hope that people will respect my efforts and honesty and patr(e)ons will eventually support me.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

knows way more than I do

'Knows way more' 

it legit says in your signature since 1978. Bros been on the grind since he was born lol

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

'Knows way more' 

it legit says in your signature since 1978. Bros been on the grind since he was born lol

Let me put it this way: I have forgotten more than you know now. You know more, now, than I do. 🤣

Just now, RevGAM said:

Let me put it this way: I have forgotten more than you know now. You know more, now, than I do. 🤣

that last bit is nearly as confusing as the sentence i had just posted

image.thumb.png.ea55f8a094af6346bb26d014c321d0fb.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

16 minutes ago, filpo said:

that last bit is nearly as confusing as the sentence i had just posted

image.thumb.png.ea55f8a094af6346bb26d014c321d0fb.png

Yeah, say dollahs instead. That'll help immensely. 😉

My point is you know lots more about current PC tech than I do. You're not the most knowledgeable but you're far beyond me.

Oh for the simple days of the past, when we just used rocks and leaves to count. 😉 🤣😂😜

17 hours ago, omegaapex128 said:

I am such a freakin' plebian

I mounted one of the three fans in the front of my case in the wrong direction. Easy oversight if you are not careful. It simply happens sometimes. You need to keep an open mind to troubleshot some mistakes. If you are preoccupied with a different theory, it's sometimes especially hard to find the real problem.

Enjoy your cool AND quiet build now. 😉

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I mounted one of the three fans in the front of my case in the wrong direction. Easy oversight if you are not careful. It simply happens sometimes. You need to keep an open mind to troubleshot some mistakes. If you are preoccupied with a different theory, it's sometimes especially hard to find the real problem.

Enjoy your cool AND quiet build now. 😉

Who hasn't done that? Heck, in the competition to troubleshoot PCs with identical issues, how long did it take Linus to even notice that fans were installed backwards?

I know I've done it.  😆