Please do LTT a favor when/before making a thread

Anthony10

Maybe I'm being counter productive by making this thread, but here's my simple ask for you users of LTT:

Do not ask questions like "Which [insert pc part here] should I get?" or "What is the best x?" or "X vs X?"

Now some of those threads with titles would make sense, but my only ask of you is to NOT make threads like that which ask about things that are very SUBJECTIVE OR PREFERENCE BASED.

I cannot go into your mind and say, hey I bet you'd like that, I bet your mind finds that to look good! I bet you like this color! I bet you like these keyswitches....

So PLEASE, when it comes to subjective things like peripherals, PC cases (some of the time), ect. don't come asking people for their opinions or which is better, because it is totally irrelevant to you, because they're opinion 99.9% of the time will not be the same opinion you will have, and only YOUR opinion matters when it comes to something subjective that YOU will be using.

Thanks and sorry if this is counter productive as I said. 

You could also just let people ask their questions, answer them nicely, and make it so you don't come across as a dick to people.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If a thread ask a sunjective question, it's probably becuase the person posting it doesn't know it's subjective.

And in some case, you might be able to give them the knowledge to make a better subjective choice, like in you example about the key switches.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Lets not turn this into a dictatorship, the last thing we need is to scare the hell out of the newbies entering the forum for the first time or guys that are just getting in the business of the pc world.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

If a thread ask a sunjective question, it's probably becuase the person posting it doesn't know it's subjective.

And in some case, you might be able to give them the knowledge to make a better subjective choice, like in you example about the key switches.

Or because they want other peoples opinions.

That is also correct, yes.

Maybe they just want an informed opinion on things. Better to ask, then to be uncertain.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

If people can't seek advice here then it had reduced usefulness as a forum.

I think it's fairer to say people should be specific about their needs and preferences so the thread doesn't turn into people just recommending the products they own blindly.

90% of the opinions are basically "I don't now, I have X so yea X is best, har har..." Then the thread goes off topic for several posts, eventually comes back and the OP changes the whole X and Y and now its a total cluster @$%8 of a thread.

:huh:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

90% of the opinions are basically "I don't now, I have X so yea X is best, har har..." Then the thread goes off topic for several posts, eventually comes back and the OP changes the whole X and Y and now its a total cluster @$%8 of a thread.

:huh:

90% is a bit of a stretch :P

Only with hard drives. This is pretty spot-on when it comes to people asking about hard drives.

Let them ask their question, even if the answers are opinions, it at least tells the poster that the item exist.

For example. not everyone wants to do a crazy amount of research to find out which cases are big enough to fit x graphic cards with x hard drives with good cable management or noise reduction, etc... So posting a thread about that, is perfectly acceptable.

But if it's for a harddrive, then yeah, don't.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Is it not the entire point of a forum to share knowledge, ask opinion and questions, and get advice? There will always be some things that are "SUBJECTIVE OR PREFERENCE BASED", but that's not the point, the point is talking about the "WHY"

Now some of those threads with titles would make sense, but my only ask of you is to NOT make threads like that which ask about things that are very SUBJECTIVE OR PREFERENCE BASED.

Why not? Everyone has a preference and/or opinion for a reason, it is that reason that is being discussed when someone asks a question about something, so the person asking the questions can make a decision based on those reasons.

So PLEASE, when it comes to subjective things like peripherals, PC cases (some of the time), ect. don't come asking people for their opinions or which is better, because it is totally irrelevant to you, because they're opinion 99.9% of the time will not be the same opinion you will have, and only YOUR opinion matters when it comes to something subjective that YOU will be using.

Everyone has their own opinion on products/services, as I said before, forums are a place where we can discuss those opinions and reasons and make certain points about why/why not they would buy or choose a certain product

Thanks and sorry if this is counter productive as I said.

Don't appologise, your not being counter productive, you are just completely missing one of the points why people join a forum in the first place.

So, my suggestion to people is, ASK questions and opinions if you don't now something or you are undecisive, we will give our preference/opinions, and then we will say WHY we have that preference/opinion, and then people can make their own decisions based on that.

We are a FORUM, we HELP people here.

-my 2cents

The hard drive threads are the worst. Even Linus said it:

People always ask me how much hard drive space they should get. The answer is, "I don't know!" I have no clue how many movies you have and how long they are and how much you download. -Linus Sebastian

Linus directs those kinds of questions to the forums in his videos.  :huh:

We should let people ask what they want to ask mate, I see where you coming from, but we don't want someone coming to ask which is better, a Corsair 200R vs a Corsair 900D and such... they have it's ups and downs yes, but it's our 'job' more or less to answer saying something along the lines - The Corsair 200R is great if you want a budget build and keep it nice and clean, while the 900D is the monster for 4 way SLI'ing and water cooling... while also suggesting stuff like maybe you want to see in your case like the 900D can, can I recommend a 300R windowed? I mean it's annoying yes, but we say the pro's and con's of both and see what the OP gets..

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Pull your head out of your ass, the LMGTFY attitude is of the same ilk and it has never been welcome here IMHO.

Just because the question is subjective doesn't condemn the answers to be so, in most cases some won't be and the OP will learn something new.

That's the whole point isn't it?

There is no such thing as a stupid question.....only a stupid answer

or somebody stupid asking it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thank goodness the OP isn't a Mod or the man himself a Linus Sebastian, otherwise new members would be scared away and this forum would only have a total number of 1 member.......or 5 if you're lucky. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

This type of thing is regular topics among us living in Features and Suggestions thread. Truth is that people are lazy and stupid. And we are here to educate them. If you can't do that, there is other forums out there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I agree, sometimes those topics can be useless (if the person hasn't done any research beforehand (GOOGLE)).

However..

It's always nice to discuss features with someone, instead of just reading a review/comparison online. 

Like when I was buying a GPU - I wasn't aware of the future of Mantle or which benchmarks to rely upon (Games/Applications).

Many times when you ask a question, someone replies by asking you a question.
And then in replying to that question, you realize what your preferences are. 

Plus you get to know people that way.

Loads of community interaction and CS:GO gameplay
www.twitch.tv/terosterone

Don't tell me how to use a forum unless you're a moderator who can tell me what ways of making a topic is restricted.

bai

Certainly.

In his last TechQuickie about CPUs I remember something like come to our forums and ask what kind of CPU is the best for you.

Well time to re-direct back to the YouTube comments then since he doesn't bother here.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.