What makes a good AIO?

I'm looking to replace my aging H55 and wondering what I should be looking for in an aio? 

My current assumption is that the pumps and radiators perform basically the same regardless of manufacturer (some differences in aesthetics of course) and that the performance difference really comes from the fans? 

Is that the case? I'm looking for a 280 or 240 aio and have noctua fans available to strap onto the radiator so should I just go for whichever brand is on sale this week? 

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

3 minutes ago, J.Munslow said:

My current assumption is that the pumps and radiators perform basically the same regardless of manufacturer

Not exactly. Most are just rebrands of the Asetek design, those will all perform more or less identically, but there are other manufacturers like Arctic and EK that have redesigned the pumps and do outperform the standard Asetek design. In contrast, there are also companies like MSI that redesigned the pump and it performs worse than the Asetek design. 

5 minutes ago, J.Munslow said:

I'm looking for a 280 or 240 aio and have noctua fans available to strap onto the radiator

Get a 280mm AIO if it's available, it's closer in performance to a 360mm AIO than it is to a 240mm AIO, despite what the size figures would lead you to believe.

6 minutes ago, J.Munslow said:

should I just go for whichever brand is on sale this week?

For the most part, prioritizing getting it from one of the other brands like Artic or EKWB. 

2 minutes ago, J.Munslow said:

I'm looking to replace my aging H55 and wondering what I should be looking for in an aio? 

My current assumption is that the pumps and radiators perform basically the same regardless of manufacturer (some differences in aesthetics of course) and that the performance difference really comes from the fans? 

Is that the case? I'm looking for a 280 or 240 aio and have noctua fans available to strap onto the radiator so should I just go for whichever brand is on sale this week? 

this post shouldn't be in custom loop and exotic cooling.
A good AIO would have a quality pump, no leakages after years, optimally its warranty length. Good enough fans, jsut have to be high airflow, don't need to be quiet (like the fans on arctic AIOS aren't the quietest, but are very good for cooling and thick rad means very optimal cooling) and a good maybe thin maybe thick rad. 

For you if your case has enough clearance for a thick radiator and the noctua fans on top of that (not literally) then go with something like the arctic freezer liquid 240 or 280 where you can replace the fans (depending on which noctua fans you have, you choose between the sizes) and if your building in a small space (such as matx or itx case) then check out the h100i rgb elite 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Back to OP questions, what makes a good AIO is

Rad size/width and overall density of fins, plus the metal from which they're made (mostly all are aluminium, but copper is better)

Block design, smoothness, fin stack and metal used

Pump efficiency, as @RONOTHAN##pointed out

Fan size, efficiency and pressure, obviously the more, faster and bigger fans you have the better, but fan design is important too (Noctua making the overall best fans, Phanteks T30 are exceptional as well)

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones