I have recently become interested in sports

kacper6768

I am 185 cm tall and have been interested in sports for a few days now. I would like to be over 200 cm tall, but I read somewhere on Google that it is impossible at the age of 30 (I am 31). Does what is written in the book "Grow Taller 4 Idiots" Is those exercises work?

I also ride a bike a bit, but when I ride more than 10 kilometers, my knees hurt for a few days. Does this mean that some knee bone is worn out or is it because I have never exercised and only sat at home? Should I exercise my knees or spare them? If it is due to worn out knees, would giving them rest for a while allow them to regenerate, or is the wear irreversible?

On 3/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, kacper6768 said:

I also ride a bike a bit, but when I ride more than 10 kilometers, my knees hurt for a few days. Does this mean that some knee bone is worn out or is it because I have never exercised and only sat at home? Should I exercise my knees or spare them? If it is due to worn out knees, would giving them rest for a while allow them to regenerate, or is the wear irreversible?

Your seat is probably too low and you are definitely pedalling in too high a gear. You need to spin, about 90 rpm.

Seat - heel on the pedal and your leg should be about straight.

Also use toe clips. The straps don't have to be tight but they will position your foot. I find it hard to ride a bike without toe clips.

I'm getting near 3x your age and knees never hurt. Before I retired I used to ride 20 km a day, to work and back, and possibly put in a 100 km ride in the weekend over steep hills.

Longest trip - with a loaded touring bike, 3500 km up the coast of California to Oregon and back down to San Francisco, when older than you.

I used to when I was a decade older than you, after Xmas, ride about 450 km in 4 days with a loaded bike (not in USA), to see my parents, ride back a few weeks later.

Knee problem? One knee maybe about your age and I found out that was due to kicking a football with a bent knee. During the big bike tour, once or twice a twinge in the morning so would off-load that leg until it felt right, maybe after 1/4 hour of riding.

Pretty sure there is no way to just grow 15 cm after your body is done growing.

Unless you want to get some real shady surgery where they break your leg bones and graft them together in a way that results in you being a bit taller.

Also really look up how to excercise without damaging your knees. I still have knee problems because i locked my knees in the leg press when i was a teen 🙃

Hindsight is 20/20 🙄

On 3/18/2023 at 9:34 PM, kacper6768 said:

I am 185 cm tall and have been interested in sports for a few days now. I would like to be over 200 cm tall, but I read somewhere on Google that it is impossible at the age of 30 (I am 31). Does what is written in the book "Grow Taller 4 Idiots" Is those exercises work?

Don't need to read the book, but can say with confidence that it's likely all snake oil, or things that won't have any meaningful impact on getting taller.

The knee thing is likely over-working a joint that hasn't see a lot of action until now. Start lower and work your way up, but obviously check in with your doctor if it's bothering you chronically.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

Define “work.  Will it get you anywhere near that kind of height?  Hell no.  There is a famously painful treatment developed in Russia where they cut rings around the bone and pull on it.  Like spring braces but much much worse and it takes months.  So they can make ONE set of bones longer.  They usually do the tibia because it’s just one bone.  Makes your arms look short I suspect.  In general not a preferred choice.  And it STILL won’t get you what you want.  It’s good for a few inches.   There was a supernatural horror movie about someone with problems with their height in the 70’s.  I forget the name.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Today on the street I accidentally passed a dozen or so teenagers walking very quickly and suddenly a police car drove up, I got scared and also started to run slowly despite my sore knee and they saw me from the police car but I was too far away for them to get off. What was it about then that these teenagers started to run away and I'm afraid that on the day when I'm on the street, a police patrol will recognize me and I will have some charges and those teenagers who did something wrong will not do anything because they are minors. Should I be concerned and what is the situation from your point of view?

33 minutes ago, kacper6768 said:

Today on the street I accidentally passed a dozen or so teenagers walking very quickly and suddenly a police car drove up, I got scared and also started to run slowly despite my sore knee and they saw me from the police car but I was too far away for them to get off. What was it about then that these teenagers started to run away and I'm afraid that on the day when I'm on the street, a police patrol will recognize me and I will have some charges and those teenagers who did something wrong will not do anything because they are minors. Should I be concerned and what is the situation from your point of view?

No, you being there is circumstantial. The running is sketchy but not evidence of you committing any crime.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

8 hours ago, WildDagwood said:

No, you being there is circumstantial. The running is sketchy but not evidence of you committing any crime.

9 hours ago, kacper6768 said:

Weird stuff happens sometimes.  The first night I moved into a new and sketchy neighborhood long ago I watched this weird scene from my window:  a group of men gathered together on the sidewalk outside another appartment building across the street.  Two men would go in.  They would come out a few moments later and two more men from the group would do the same thing.  One after the other.  I called police non emergency to ask what I was seeing.  5 minutes later ther was a dozen cop cars in front of the building, and tthere were flashing lights and flak jackets and automatic weapons and stuff.  Like they’d seen terrorist activity or something.  Apparently what I was witnessing, I heard months later, was  the group was a gang, and they had just killed a rival dealer and were ferrying his stash out in sub felony amounts.  This would have been the late 80’s. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/20/2023 at 11:42 AM, Assimov said:

I still have knee problems because i locked my knees in the leg press when i was a teen 🙃

I immediately recoiled in horror the second I read this

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

The heneral path for someone likely to make high school or college varsity:

have a mother/father who:

A.  Has the gene set necessary to create a good player in a sport

B. Knows what sport he wants his kid to play and start at them as soon as they can walk

C. Is actually a decent coach.

D. Has the monetary commitment for the training. (This is a stopper more than half the time.  A parent might just not be rich enough)

then the player as a preschooler needs to:

A: actually like the sport he/she picked

B. Be really quite good at it

C. Plays that sport at a competitive level for that entire time

Then they have to:

A. Get a bit lucky..  even all that is a less than 50% chance

B. Be the correct body shape for the particular sport.  This feeds into A from parentage, but they still may not be short enough or tall enough or have good enough knees, etc..

there seems to be literally none of any of this here.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 3/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, kacper6768 said:

I'm afraid that on the day when I'm on the street, a police patrol will recognize me and I will have some charges

Are you saying you are a criminal?

3 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Are you saying you are a criminal?

Or crazy.  Or something. Depends a lot on where he lives.  Police states exist.

• 4 weeks later...

If I am 186.5 cm tall in the morning right after getting out of bed and in the evening I am 184.8 cm tall, then how tall am I? Why is there a lot of slimming ads in the mass media, when I weigh 66 kilos in the morning and eat up to 70 kilomrams, how much do I weigh in the end? Even when I eat like a pig and eat fatty things, some very sweet tracks in large quantities, it is impossible to put on weight. Of course, after eating, the belly is like a barrel, but the next day  I am thin again. How did fat people manage to gain so much weight? How is it possible?

On 4/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, kacper6768 said:

If I am 186.5 cm tall in the morning right after getting out of bed and in the evening I am 184.8 cm tall, then how tall am I? Why is there a lot of slimming ads in the mass media, when I weigh 66 kilos in the morning and eat up to 70 kilomrams, how much do I weigh in the end? Even when I eat like a pig and eat fatty things, some very sweet tracks in large quantities, it is impossible to put on weight. Of course, after eating, the belly is like a barrel, but the next day  I am thin again. How did fat people manage to gain so much weight? How is it possible?

You're as tall or as heavy as when you take the measurement.

Regarding the weight stuff, I'm guessing you're a bit younger, so you're approaching this with a bit of obvious ignorance.

For most people, it's a discipline and lifestyle issue, for some there might be an underlying medical issue. If people look back to when they were in their teens and their 20's, I bet most would agree they were more active overall. Poor sleep and stress have been shown to impact things here as well, and I don't think I've met an adult that says they were more stressed as a kid than they are as an adult (there's obviously exceptions).

It was commonly believed that age had an impact on metabolic rate as well, with it peaking in your early 20's and starting to decline as early as 30. However, there is some recent evidence to suggest this may no longer be true, but I'm not sure if they've ironed things out there yet.

Parasoshill

adjective

• 3 weeks later...

Is it true that the sound of "Binaural Beats" induces more growth hormone production and thus taller height? There's also "Binaural Beats" for bigger muscles and better sleep and energizing and stress-relieving and everything.

In the previous version of the book "Jak urosnąć (How to grow taller)" https://jakurosnac.pl/produkt/jak-urosnac-wyzszy author Alan Rybczyński something was advertised that at the age of 30 somebody can practice to grow in such a way practice that bones crack and rebuild but it was dangerous so in the current version of the book this information has been removed. I don't have this book. Tell me what these exercises are. I take the risk, just write how to do these exercises.

On another sports forum, it was written that if I had exercised and eaten differently from an early age, I would have been 2 centimeters taller at most. I always thought that there could be even a few centimeters difference. Did I screwed up at a young age by not exercising and only now starting to be interested in being taller?

just take a hammer to your shins and hope for the best.

might get shorter though if bones grow together wrong 🤡